Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2016, 09:24 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,875 times

Advertisements

We went to Primm I walked in used the automated machine walked out.

We told some people in line but I don't think they believed me.
Took longer to walk to and from the car
Then had breakfast ( about 4pm) and won a couple bucks so the whole adventure cost us 13$ plus gas for the 97 integra.

Not a bad day in my book

Spent the ride both ways talking about the lives we would change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,784,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
I believe that the state tax rate is based on the state where you bought the ticket, so moving will have no impact. Those of you buying your tickets in AZ will be subject to a 6% non-resident tax where California (remarkably) does not tax lottery winnings at all. I think it is close to $55,000,000 you are throwing away if you buy in AZ vs CA.

So the question is, is it worth $55,000,000 to stand in line for 4 hours vs 1 or 2 in AZ?
However, AZ gives the winner 90 days of anonymity. California does not. That's worth $55,000,000 to me

Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,782 times
This thread just illustrates everything that is wrong with America. Everything is about money. Family and true friends, not money, is what is important. I am serious when I say this. I would not want to win this lottery. I would suddenly find myself with more "friends" than I could deal with. I have no doubt that it would completely destroy my life. Would I like to win $500,000? Sure, as that would change my life for the better. This is too much and it would not surprise me if the winner gets murdered or dies in some other way in the near future.

Last edited by Katie the heartbreaker; 01-11-2016 at 09:36 PM..

Old 01-11-2016, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie the heartbreaker View Post
This thread just illustrates everything that is wrong with America. Everything is about money. Family, not money, is what is important. I am serious when I say this. I would not want to win this lottery. I would suddenly find my self with more "friends" than I could deal with. I have no doubt that it would completely destroy my life. Would I like to win $500,000? Sure, as that would change my life for the better. This is too much and it would not surprise me if the winner gets murdered or dies in some other way in the near future.
Not if most of your family sucks. I replaced mine with "family" that I got to choose.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:30 PM

11 posts, read 24,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
However, AZ gives the winner 90 days of anonymity. California does not. That's worth $55,000,000 to me
I don't need 90 days to change my address, all our phone numbers and email addresses. I'd rather be greedy and keep the $55,000.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:34 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,058,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
Not if most of your family sucks. I replaced mine with "family" that I got to choose.
I edited my post for clarity to reflect that. My point is money is not the end all people think it is. Countless people's lives were destroyed after winning huge sums of money.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:36 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
I think the lottery is a little like the American Dream continues. I also don't think my grandchildren would mine Grandma taking them shopping (4 girls) or not having to worry about college costs. Money doesn't have to be bad if you do not obsess about it. Invest it and live off the income. Many lottery winners run into trouble because they don't know how to manage money.

Old 01-11-2016, 10:10 PM

Quote:
I edited my post for clarity to reflect that. My point is money is not the end all people think it is. Countless people's lives were destroyed after winning huge sums of money.
Very true. My wife was in a "famous" nightclub fire. Many of the victims' familes and some of the most badly burned survivors received quite a bit in a settlement. Some have invested wisely, and others have blown everything. There have also been a few "Final Destination"-type scenarios..

Old 01-11-2016, 10:31 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,909,005 times
Quote:
Money is not the end all, but you can do wonderful things with it to help other people. Having no money is definitely not better. Most of the people who destroyed their lives with sudden wealth, were probably pre programmed to have destructive personalities anyway. If you are disciplined and plan things through, I think you can do just fine. Think about it, friends and relatives need medical attention, you can have the best doctors and hospitals look after them. You can make sure any family members wanting to go to college, can go. The one thing I wouldn't do, is just be a piggy bank for friends and relatives to spend on frivolous stuff.
Hmm.........I wonder how much it would cost to hire a Scoop as my personal chef

Old 01-11-2016, 11:27 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,701 times
Quote:
Countless people's lives were destroyed after winning huge sums of money.
Maybe that's because the people who actually play the lottery are not the brightest bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas