Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 02:08 PM

12 posts, read 12,617 times

Advertisements

I know everyone has their thoughts on Las Vegas / N Las Vegas / Henderson. Being here for 20+ years and working extensively with new developments / real estate management, hopefully can offer a different perspective. North Las Vegas has had its challenges, but nothing that the city of Las Vegas doesn't have either. Where your planning to be in the area is smack dab in the middle between newer developments and older ones that have been there for 30-50 years. The area your looking to be in is roughly 20-30 years old (hard to believe that stuff built in the 90's is coming up on 30 years). The recession killed real estate values in many areas - and some have not recovered well (and struggled even when the economy was good). Statistically, the area you will be in has recovered some, but percentage wise not as high as other areas. Many foreclosures led to neighborhood transitions and sadly, some didn't pull out of it very well. So, to sum it up, theres a large mix of neighborhoods up there - some look OK, some very clearly don't - and many times one street will drastically differ from another in one neighborhood. North Las Vegas gets a bad wrap from the higher than average crime (statistics show that) in the valley and many run down areas up in the central North part and North East, which actually some of it falls under Las Vegas. Plus, the pig farm about 3-4 miles east from you can send over some scents when the wind blows west. Fortunately, not terribly often where you will be compared to being south of the farm. But, lots of people live there - so you just have to see if its for you. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other areas in the valley that have different views, style of neighborhoods, amenities, just like any other city.

Average house price in the valley is $220K, average rent for a home is about $1200.

As a city, Las Vegas is moving forward. Re-development of downtown, new housing being built all over, lots of apartment developments, new industry coming to the city, road and freeway expansion and even talks of a light rail / subway system going in. The economy is tourist driven, however, many other industries have established themselves here. It is diversifying at a fast pace.

Summer heat is for about 3 months total, at least the intense part - 105 degrees +. The very intense heat - 110 degrees + lasts for maybe 3 weeks total. Otherwise, the weather is great. It cools off for about 2-3 months in the winter to where you need a jacket and beyond that, very mild, very enjoyable.

Since 2012 / 2013, yes, things have changed for the better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2016, 05:26 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
I swear, one of these days I'm going to create a bogus username (like "BlessedVegasBaby"), and post the most ridiculous "Should I move to Vegas" thread ever.

I'll be sure to include in my bio that I have:

• No job.
  • Almost no money.
  • No spouse.
  • Poor spelling and grammar.
  • No prospects.
  • No degree.
  • No real education.
  • No support network.
  • Absolutely no local knowledge whatsoever.
  • No idea where to live. (But I hear Summerlin is nice!)
  • No means of returning home.
  • A chronic illness.
  • Multiple children with learning disabilities.

And then I'll sit back and watch "the regulars" post how Las Vegas is the land of milk and honey. And that it's good to take chances.

Old 01-22-2016, 08:52 PM

243 posts, read 238,117 times
Funny, that is exactly what my real estate agent said to me back in 2005 when I purchased a home in Lone Mountain. Glad I sold it and moved to Summerlin. Centennial Hills, further north is in fact getting real bad in my opinion with more and more sketchy people moving into the area. The Smith's at Durango/Elkhorn has in its ten years of being open has turned into a ghetto outlet. Not to mention, simply no good supermarkets unless you like "big processed food".

Old 01-22-2016, 09:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I swear, one of these days I'm going to create a bogus username (like "BlessedVegasBaby"), and post the most ridiculous "Should I move to Vegas" thread ever.

• No job.
  • Almost no money.
  • No spouse.
  • No prospects.
  • No degree.
  • No real education.
  • No support network.
  • A chronic illness.

And then I'll sit back and watch "the regulars" post how Las Vegas is the land of milk and honey. And that it's good to take chances.
Actually you are one of the very few who would come to LV with that set of parameters.

Virtually all locals would point out that coming to Las Vegas would be totally irrational and the person should stay where they are or move to a place with family support.

This list for some years has counseled months of expense and/or a job in hand. Your view that it is otherwise is simply another indication that reality does not intrude into your messages.

Old 01-22-2016, 09:43 PM

49 posts, read 41,875 times
Quote:

• No job.
  • Almost no money.
  • No spouse.
  • No prospects.
  • No degree.
  • No real education.
  • No support network.
  • A chronic illness.

Yea, to echo Ivoc...it seems like you're projecting your own financial problems on the rest of us.

A quick glance at your status updates reveals you've been in-and-out of a job a few times. No shame in that...

But lose the attitude. I'm sure most readers here are intelligent enough to realize they need some start-up capital before moving anywhere.

You're acting like this is some sort of divine revelation. It's not.

Old 01-23-2016, 09:03 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
At least I care enough to spell his name correctly.

Actually, no, many readers here are not that intelligent. Every single one of my hypothetical points has been posted, recently, by someone wondering if they should move to Las Vegas. People come here every day underfunded with absolutely no plan and no real knowledge of the city. They come here with children with learning disabilities. They come here with severe medical problems and no insurance. They come here with addictions.

And despite the warnings that this city isn't a place to be without proper funds, they come anyway. The only reason they post here is because they want validation -- not advice.

So go move to Summerlin and see for yourself.

Old 01-23-2016, 10:22 AM

49 posts, read 41,875 times
^Holy cow.

Las vegas attracts a mixed crowd. People bring problems with them.

I'd always had it down as some sort of paradise. Glad you've let me know otherwise...

Old 01-24-2016, 04:48 PM

37 posts, read 66,734 times
Quote:

• No job.
  • Almost no money.
  • No spouse.
  • No prospects.
  • No degree.
  • No real education.
  • No support network.
  • A chronic illness.

That was my thought too... who and how does a self employed 24 yo move and to Vegas? Vegas is brown and hot... more pretty in the winter. Good paying jobs are easy breezy in my opinion as long as you're educated and not ghetto fabulous... which is true anywhere.

Old 01-28-2016, 04:19 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfarm View Post
That was my thought too... who and how does a self employed 24 yo move and to Vegas? Vegas is brown and hot... more pretty in the winter. Good paying jobs are easy breezy in my opinion as long as you're educated and not ghetto fabulous... which is true anywhere.
What??

Old 01-28-2016, 04:33 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:

• No job.
  • Almost no money.
  • No spouse.
  • No prospects.
  • No degree.
  • No real education.
  • No support network.
  • A chronic illness.

It's funny, but back in the seventies and eighties, the top ten things on your list were quite do-able in
Las Vegas. This place was kind of the last bastion of " work hard, keep your nose clean, and mind your own business, you'll do fine" left in this country.

Waitresses lived in gated communities here. Valet parkers can send their children to college. I don't like living here, and I've been here long enough to complain all day long if I want to, but I do understand where the misinformation comes from.

It's a dream that died with the pump and dump real estate bubble scam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas