Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 03:36 PM

347 posts, read 511,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
Get a dog.
LiveLeak.com - Dog attacks intruder - South Africa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 08:19 AM

52 posts, read 203,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegashere View Post
Hello, I moved to the Northwest part of the valley (Deer Springs & Durango) more than 6 months ago and my new house has been vandalized twice in less than a month. I have notified my HOA and Metro about the incidents but it's my responsibility to protect my property.

I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks!
A little off topic but would you mind telling me if you are in a gated community? We are looking to move to a new development and are not sure if we 'need' a gated community.

Old 01-28-2016, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 7,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoeeyy View Post
A little off topic but would you mind telling me if you are in a gated community? We are looking to move to a new development and are not sure if we 'need' a gated community.
I don't live in a gated community. After the recent incidents, I wish I bought a property in a gated community to add a level of security. But living in a gated community doesn't guarantee or provide total security; I have seen cars wait for residents open the gate and they go in.

Are you looking at new construction around Hualapai and Deer Springs or Providence?

Old 01-28-2016, 01:23 PM

52 posts, read 203,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasvegashere View Post
I don't live in a gated community. After the recent incidents, I wish I bought a property in a gated community to add a level of security. But living in a gated community doesn't guarantee or provide total security; I have seen cars wait for residents open the gate and they go in.

Are you looking at new construction around Hualapai and Deer Springs or Providence?
We are looking at the entire valley( prefer south southwest ) but prices seem cheaper up northwest so we were not sure if wanted to compromise. We currently live in Mass, we will be moving out there this spring. We spent 8 days last July looking at all the new various developments around the valley. Husband is still trying to adjust to the lack of lot sizes. We both grew up on 1+ acres and currently live on over a 1/4 acre. Kids live on their own now so schools are not an issue. We have a doberman and a mix for dogs but do not want to rely on them for sole means of security. Not having meet people out there yet it is hard for us to really get a good feel for the whole valley. thanks for any input you might have.

Old 01-28-2016, 01:37 PM

19 posts, read 28,257 times
Plenty of larger lot properties in the NW but prices on those are definitely higher. We live in such and area and there is not an issue with crime at all in our neighborhood. But will all the inexpensive housing going up near hear maybe at some point it will be. Most of us out here watch out for each other and most are well armed

Old 03-29-2016, 10:48 AM

30 posts, read 316,457 times
Best Bet, contact a security professional (ADT, Vivant, or a local security company, Like Unity One,Inc) and have them come out and give you an assesment of your security sitution. They should have up to date crime stats for your neighborhood and other crime trends in your area.

Old 03-29-2016, 11:24 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean128 View Post
Best Bet, contact a security professional (ADT, Vivant, or a local security company, Like Unity One,Inc) and have them come out and give you an assesment of your security sitution. They should have up to date crime stats for your neighborhood and other crime trends in your area.
Don't expect to get any objective information from an alarm salesman. Might be a good person, but their goal is to sell you an alarm service.

A few friends use Vivant, it is decent but still binds you to a service contract. Brinks and ADT's contacts are brutal, typically 3 years and the only way out of it is to pay out all 3 years, regardless of the quality of service you have received.

Stand alone cameras and alarms aren't extremely complicated to setup and the work can be contracted out. Costco has some decent camera plus dvr systems. Higher resolution cameras are needed if you want to capture face shots. Power over Ethernet cameras are nice, only have to run one Ethernet cable to them from a powered switch.

On the other end of the spectrum, if you just want to add a deterrent then you can get a wifi camera like Foscam. They have 720 and 960 resolution cameras, but the frame rate will be 10-15 per second versus the 30 you get from a wired camera. You can record video to a spare phone or tablet as a dvr and you only have to run power to the camera.

Probably some other opinions on the technology aspect of this on the technology sub forum here. No matter what equipment you have, unless you live in Henderson the police will never make it to your house while subjects are still in it. I deal with Metro regularly and they are stretched thin; non priority calls often have 3 hour+ response times. Henderson PD is a whole different story though.

Old 03-29-2016, 10:41 PM

250 posts, read 229,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I have been researching this too, and am leaning towards this: AHD7-441 - 4 Channel - HD Security Systems - Complete Security Systems - Products
Night Owl 8-Channel HD Analog DVR with 1TB HDD, 4 1080p Cameras with 100' Night Vision

I just picked this up. Image quality is great during the day, good--ok at night. Software is a little clunky, from what I have read at this kind of price point they are all about the same. Overall I love being able to see out front of my house.
Checking cameras with phone or tablet is definitely cool.

Old 03-31-2016, 12:31 AM

638 posts, read 594,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank702 View Post
Night Owl 8-Channel HD Analog DVR with 1TB HDD, 4 1080p Cameras with 100' Night Vision

I just picked this up. Image quality is great during the day, good--ok at night. Software is a little clunky, from what I have read at this kind of price point they are all about the same. Overall I love being able to see out front of my house.
Checking cameras with phone or tablet is definitely cool.
Looking for something similar myself, got a couple of questions:

is there enough cable? I think I'd need another roll, is it cat5?

Do you need power and the cable going to each camera or just the one line doing both?

Where did you put the dvr? I guess the feeds from all cameras has to reach it so attic or somewhere easily accessible?

Have you thought about buying a lockbox for the dvr, sometimes when people break in they tear out the dvr!

Old 03-31-2016, 07:38 AM

250 posts, read 229,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
Looking for something similar myself, got a couple of questions:

is there enough cable? I think I'd need another roll, is it cat5?

Do you need power and the cable going to each camera or just the one line doing both?

Where did you put the dvr? I guess the feeds from all cameras has to reach it so attic or somewhere easily accessible?

Have you thought about buying a lockbox for the dvr, sometimes when people break in they tear out the dvr!
In my case there wasn't enough cable. It comes with four 60' cables, which is actually a lot, I just needed longer for my particular install (two story, attic drop, back down to first floor where my modem is). As far as i can tell It doesn't have to be hooked to the Internet but if you want to view the system remotely (phone /tablet )or get software updates, it does. The cable is called BNC, it is basically coax and 12v married into one cable.

Q-SEE 100 ft. Video and Power BNC Male Cable with 2 Female Connector-QS100TC - The Home Depot

I picked up three of these ^

As I alluded to earlier but the DVR next to my modem which is next to my television in my living room , actually in a cabinet under the television which I may or may not add a lock to.
Install was a pain but, pretty straightforward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas