Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:53 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstersizin View Post
People still read Scoop's posts?

I click on the board maybe once a week and post maybe once a month for the last couple years.

Let me save you the time of reading any of his/hers posts.

"Blah blah blah, I'm stuck in Vegas, blah blah blah, I hate my life, blah blah blah, I'm a cancer to everyone around me, blah blah blah."
Actually, a lot of what he says in many of his posts is quite informative. Yes, it's the downside of living here; obviously he doesn't like Las Vegas. But I've now lived in five states, Nevada will be my sixth if I can ever get there, and I have yet to be in a place that didn't have serious downsides. I'm happy to have his perspective on what they are. People get criticized for bashing where they live on C-D. (I know, I tell the sorry truth about Tucson on some occasions.) But it's not wrong for him to share his opinions, negative as they may be. Sometimes what he says is true and for people to have the WHOLE truth, his opinions are valuable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 01:26 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,468,049 times
I can see how Las Vegas could benefit from a roof on a stadium. Though I don't mind the heat, I remember watching the Cardinals play at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe in early September mid-afternoon when that was their home stadium. Metal bleachers in early September was a bit warm. Then again, you guys have noticeably cooler nights than we do in the Phoenix metro, especially starting in early September with much less Monsoon influence(humidity/dew points in the summer) so in September you could have all your college football games scheduled as night games and it wouldn't be so bad. And save a billion in the process.

Old 01-30-2016, 01:50 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,626,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
Actually, a lot of what he says in many of his posts is quite informative. Yes, it's the downside of living here; obviously he doesn't like Las Vegas. But I've now lived in five states, Nevada will be my sixth if I can ever get there, and I have yet to be in a place that didn't have serious downsides. I'm happy to have his perspective on what they are. People get criticized for bashing where they live on C-D. (I know, I tell the sorry truth about Tucson on some occasions.) But it's not wrong for him to share his opinions, negative as they may be. Sometimes what he says is true and for people to have the WHOLE truth, his opinions are valuable.
Actually it appears he has no idea what he's talking about when it comes to professional sports.

He claims MLB in Las Vegas is a no brainer. The very first step in determining whether a city can handle a pro sports team is for the league in question to be interested in changing markets or expansion in the first place. MLB is not expanding anytime soon and there aren't any teams exploring a possible relocation. Therefore, MLB is certainly not a no brainer as he claims.

Then he follows that up by saying MLS is a nice fit too. Last year, Las Vegas was in the running for an expansion team along with Minneapolis and Sacramento. We would have had to build an MLS stadium in Symphony Park, downtown. It would have been an outdoor stadium for a sport playing right through the heart of summer. The stadium would hav had a capacity of 25,000 which does nothing to draw MAJOR sport/concert style events to the city.

Scoop claims the NBA "doesn't care"... Is that why league commissioner Adam Silver has been extremely vocal about legalizing spots betting nationwide? Is that why we host multiple games each year? Is that why we host the NBA summer league which is a huge draw every year?

He then bashes the NHL for exploring warm weather climates. Pretty sure the Tampa Bay Lightning, LA Kings, San Jose Sharks, Anaheim Ducks and Dallas Stars' attendance figures are doing juuuuust fine.
2015-2016 NHL Attendance - National Hockey League - ESPN

I'm definitely open to having a discussion on whether or not LV can support a team or not... But I prefer to have those discussions with people who have some... At least SOME... kind of idea what they're talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
I'm not actually saying that. I AM saying that professional sports ranks this city somewhere between "malaria" and "herpes" when it comes to our suitability.

London will have an NFL franchise before Las Vegas does. And there's a sports book on every freakin' corner in London. Seriously -- google "Ladbrokes." It's a fitting name, and they're as ubiquitous as 7-11 is here. But that league's execs are all a bunch of hypocrites, anyway.

Havana will have an MLB franchise before Las Vegas does. And MLB is a no-brainer for this city -- with our massive Latino population. But at least the MLB has been vocally anti-gambling for almost 100 years. I can't call them a bunch of hypocrites. Ask Pete Rose.

The NBA doesn't care and the NHL is determined to put a hockey franchise in the world's hottest climates for some reason. But they don't need big stadiums. MLS is a nice fit, too.

The two franchises that would work best in Las Vegas aren't coming here. That's what I'm saying about sports in Las Vegas.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,992,760 times
It would be nice if some people actually read what I write.

MLB isn't expanding anytime soon. But when they do, it won't be in Las Vegas. They'll expand into Cuba or Mexico before they allow a team in Las Vegas. Not happening. No way. No how.

Same with the NFL. Las Vegas isn't getting a team, no matter what we build. We could build the world's greatest stadium -- something that puts Dallas to shame. And we're still not getting a franchise. This talk about the Las Angeles Raiders is just wishful thinking. London will likely get the next team. That's unbelievably hypocritical considering the sports books on every single corner.

The NBA doesn't care about Las Vegas' image. That's why they allow some games to be played here. Someday they might move a team here. But we won't need to build a stadium for them -- they could play at any of the Strip venues which already exist. And it's the same with hockey.

MLS would be a good fit for the city -- but the city's plan for what to do with such a team was simply incompetent.

That leaves us with fighting and rodeo. It is no surprise that the sports that we do have are one baby step up from Roman gladiatorial games. We should allow bull fighting, because why not? And then we could have our own running with the bulls event. I'd pay money to watch that from a distance. You'd see me wearing the "Go Bulls!" jersey.

Old 01-30-2016, 02:50 PM

15,844 posts, read 14,476,031 times
The NFL will certainly try to stop it. I had forgot that Al Davis beat them about this once before. Maybe his kid could do it again.

I do believe Willie's point about this just being a ploy by Adelson.

Also, looking at the site in question, certainly the open area is too small. There are some abutting apartment complexes and miscellaneous junk. if this gets built under county or state auspices, the could seize those by eminent domain (if the can't get bought out privately.) Even if the get that land, shoehorning in the stadium and the necessary parking would be tough.

Quote:

Same with the NFL. Las Vegas isn't getting a team, no matter what we build. We could build the world's greatest stadium -- something that puts Dallas to shame. And we're still not getting a franchise. This talk about the Las Angeles Raiders is just wishful thinking. London will likely get the next team. That's unbelievably hypocritical considering the sports books on every single corner.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:17 PM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
The NFL is coming. It's a done deal. There's just too much money to go in the overall pot. Build a stadium like that close to the strip and that could drive up international traffic. Buy your house now because there's going to be a population explosion.

Old 01-30-2016, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
The NFL is coming. It's a done deal.

You base this on what, exactly?

I would love to be proven wrong and have the NFL in Las Vegas. But I'm willing to mortgage a house and bet it all at 2-1 odds that I won't see a live NFL game in Las Vegas before I move.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:04 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
FWIW...

NFL releases memo regarding Raiders' interest in Las Vegas - NFL.com

Quote:
3. There is no prohibition under league rules on a team moving to any particular city. Any proposal for relocation would be evaluated based on the same standards as apply to any proposed move. Those standards are well-known, having just been applied in connection with relocation proposals to Los Angeles.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:16 PM

There's what's written down. And then there's the actual rules. I suspect that Roger Goodall would give Tom Brady a sack of deflated footballs, and Peyton Manning enough HGH to turn into the Incredible Hulk before he'd OK a team move to Las Vegas.

Again, I very much hope I am proven wrong. I will buy a smoker trailer and throw down barbecue for an entire season's worth of home games* if I am wrong. People can lob pork bones at me and say "Nyah, nyah, you were wrong" if I turn out to be wrong.

But I have zero confidence that I'll be buying a Fast Eddy's Cookshack smoker and having it mounted to a trailer in the near future.

* IF they'll let me. No guarantees what they allow in the parking lot.

Old 01-30-2016, 06:34 PM

519 posts, read 604,056 times
Quote:
There's what's written down. And then there's the actual rules.
Indeed, which is why I qualified the link with an "FWIW".

Quote:
I suspect that Roger Goodall would give Tom Brady a sack of deflated footballs, and Peyton Manning enough HGH to turn into the Incredible Hulk before he'd OK a team move to Las Vegas.
Roger Goodell's blessing certainly would be beneficial, but at the end of the day it isn't required. Goodell and the league can't actually prevent a team from relocating if the owner is determined to do so. As newopty pointed out earlier, Al Davis proved this quite some time ago. The question is if Mark Davis and Sheldon Adleson will actually become committed to this project, or if this flirtation is just a stunt to gain leverage in their respective situations.

The other variable is the Chargers. They're slated to join the Rams in Inglewood, but at the same time the Spanos family is still trying to work out a stadium deal in San Diego. If they're successful, they stay in San Diego and the Raiders jump into bed with the Rams and Las Vegas falls by the wayside...at least until the Jaguars, Bills or some other hapless franchise wants a new stadium and tries to use Las Vegas as negotiation tactic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: