Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 09:47 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,116,365 times

Advertisements

That intersection is bad. You are right about only being able to go halfway across per light cycle. There is a common sense way to cross that road. If you are heading north from Walmart to Sams and get halfway across, wait for the southbound turn lane to go. That stops the cross traffic that would hit you.

Green = People
Red = cars

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 09:51 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,808,201 times
Well if you do not get hit by a automobile the other risk you run is a ticket for Jay walking which I believe starts at $250.00 fine. I have known 2 people who got tickets YES Metro does do this!!! One person got a ticket on the intersection of Trop and McCloud and the other was at the same intersection English Dave posted about. Boulder Highway had 14 fatalities last year between car crashes and pedestrian deaths. On the plus side I do notice drivers here are very careful about doing the speed limit in school zones So the way I look at it all pedestrians I see are a potential object ready to enter the road at any time. Now in parking lots it appears pedestrians figure their are no rules of the road and all drivers have 3 sets of eyes for them one set for the rear mirror and one set for each side mirror. I think dash cams will become a standard piece of equipment in the newer cars but that does not correct the problem it just will cover your ass if a event happens. Too bad we accept facilitates from automobiles nation wide as a way of life and pour billions of $$$ in other useless areas.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:56 AM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Las Vegas is rated one of the most unsafe cities for pedestrians, and judging from many of the posts on this thread, it doesn't surprise me!

If I were contemplating moving here, and not owning a car, and I read some of the insensitive posts on this thread, it would scare me away!

If you enjoy a car-centric city that's always going to be stuck-in-the-60's, this is the city for you!

Last edited by tijlover; 02-12-2016 at 10:10 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 10:03 AM
EA

Don't give me that crap.

These morons risk their lives and don't even look before crossing.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:26 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
That intersection is bad. You are right about only being able to go halfway across per light cycle. There is a common sense way to cross that road. If you are heading north from Walmart to Sams and get halfway across, wait for the southbound turn lane to go. That stops the cross traffic that would hit you.
That was a great picture EA and shows clearly the problem crossing there by foot. Also, as we drive on the left here in England, all my traffic instincts are mixed up. I tend to look in the wrong direction watching the traffic.

I know about the jay walking law, and that makes me nervous crossing opposite Sam's Town cinema complex. I am in Las Vegas very soon, but without my wife this time. I will ensure I cross at the correct place during this visit.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:27 AM

799 posts, read 708,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If you enjoy a car-centric city
Yes...if you've ever been subjected to the abuse, cost, and restrictions of a "public transportation system" like a subway, trains, or worst of all, bus system, the privacy, utility, and freedom of being car-centric is absolute heaven, and no way stuck in any decade. Our individual transportation used to be limited to walking and animals. I would say "returning to" something like that would be the mode that is stuck "somewhere", like the early 1900's.

Nothing wrong with having those public transportation options, as long as none of them interfere with the progress in individual transportation made since the early 1900's. And of course, if it's done within the existing tax structure/rates.

That attitude reminds me of an old saying: "the more things change, the more they remain the same."

Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 PM
EA

Another one bites the dust.

Pedestrain dead after being struck by vehicle Friday evening - Story

Old 02-12-2016, 10:55 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
It's not just cars hitting pedestrians while texting.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:37 AM
EA

https://www.facebook.com/Controversi...8199699933057/

Old 02-14-2016, 09:41 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,157,837 times
WTF did I just watch?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas