Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 11:44 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times

Advertisements

It was only 2mm. Felt like a boulder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 07:26 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I'm curious. Being relatively new here can someone tell me if the water quality varies by area? We're in Summerlin Sun City and it really doesn't seem that bad, and it didn't before the water softener and RO system was put in.
Not really. In the summer the water purveyor pumps local well water to augment the flow from the Colorado. Other wise you get the same stuff that goes to AZ and southern CA. And it is reasonably nice water. LV occasionally gets nailed for trace elements...but that is mainly because they test for them which others don't.

Don't get hooked by Scoop...he is off in the different world. Quite removed from reality.

We pump from a well. 10,000 year old water. Very hard...as that is what happens if you spend 10,000 years among a set of rocks. But no after 20 years neither of us has kidney stones.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 PM
EA

You're compulsive, huh?

The water here is atrocious. When I pull the dishes out of the brand new dishwasher, I have to wipe off the layer of calcium and whatever else is in the water. It's disgusting. If you cook with the water, the pot gets stained. When I cook with distilled water, no stain.

You could not pay me enough money to drink the tap water here.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:45 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,990,912 times
At least I have a background in water chemistry. (I'm on my third career, remember.)

But if the chemistry of essentially drinking dissolved antacid tablets doesn't sway you, how about listening to some clinical research urologists?

Effects of water hardness on urinary risk factors for kidney stones in patients with idiopathic nephrolithiasis. - PubMed - NCBI

Drinking Las Vegas tap water is preferable to not drinking water. But drinking better quality water is ALWAYS preferable to drinking heavy-metal laced, calcium-rich water with trace amounts of pharmaceuticals.

Every claim I've made is easily googled. And I have zero financial stake in enticing people to move to the Las Vegas valley. Compare that to the people who crow, "Sure, the water is great! I've been drinking it my whole life and I ain't dead yet!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
If you cook with the water, the pot gets stained. When I cook with distilled water, no stain.
You don't have to go as far as to cook with distilled water. But there is a problem with cooking with our water. When vegetables are boiled in water containing large amounts of bicarbonates, they cook quicker -- but the bicarbonates leech out certain vitamins.

Just one more reason to avoid our tap water. Anecdotal evidence points to diminished brain activity, as well. But that is merely anecdotal.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine...wdM/story.html

Old 03-07-2016, 08:43 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Just one more reason to avoid our tap water. Anecdotal evidence points to diminished brain activity, as well. But that is merely anecdotal.
I've found that aging does the same. Not anecdotal. Haven't figured out how to avoid it except for the obvious.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:48 PM
EA

I drink distilled water, so I always have many gallons on hand. I don't cook often so there's no point in having other water around.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:53 PM

Distilled water has no benefit over quality RO water from one of those kiosks, or similar. Getting some minerals delivered in your water is good for you. Just so long as it doesn't resemble running a bunch of oyster shells though a blender with water and then drinking the resulting solution.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:55 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
I've used RO and distilled in my CPAP. Distilled leaves less crud in the tank. We use the RO for drinking.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I've used RO and distilled in my CPAP. Distilled leaves less crud in the tank. We use the RO for drinking.
Big difference there, though. I use distilled in my steam cleaner. Same reason. But there's no need to cook with distilled or drink the stuff. Seeing as 100% water wants to leech any ions it can get its electro-chemical hooks into, there's no real point to drinking the stuff. Two seconds after imbibing, it isn't distilled water anymore. It's water that has picked up some ions from whatever it touched first -- such as gums, saliva and tooth enamel.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:04 PM
EA

Well, I don't have several grand for a RO system, and out of all the water I can buy, distilled is the best tasting to me.
Back when I lived in PA, we had a natural spring on our property. I used to drink that and it was great. The "spring" and "drinking" water they sell at the store tastes like nasty tap water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas