Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:11 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,276,437 times

Advertisements

I still feel sad for the farmer. He was there first and you get attached to your land after raising your children there and working the land for decades. But if it's been a long time then maybe he's looking at some smaller land for a semi-retirement, because you don't ever really stop working the land in that vocation. He'll do it until he dies in his field with a piece of straw he was chewing on still in his mouth. The country is in your blood. He'll have a nice trust for his kids and grandkids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 09:35 AM

455 posts, read 651,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
If they're rich enough, the tracks will move.

Taxpayers installed multi-million dollar noise barriers for a bunch of insufferable nitwits in my hometown. (And special noise-reducing windows, that I now recall.) They just kept whinging on about the airport noise until the country commission bent over for them. Jimmy Buffett used to own a house in this particular neighborhood, if that gives you an idea of what kind of people we're talking about.

West Palm Beach?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:58 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I still feel sad for the farmer. He was there first and you get attached to your land after raising your children there and working the land for decades. But if it's been a long time then maybe he's looking at some smaller land for a semi-retirement, because you don't ever really stop working the land in that vocation. He'll do it until he dies in his field with a piece of straw he was chewing on still in his mouth. The country is in your blood. He'll have a nice trust for his kids and grandkids.
The business will continue. His sons are active in it. They are simply moving it to Apex which gets it away from residential property.

Combs is a pretty sharp guy and played his cards well. He will do fine on the tens of millions he is going to get for the place.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:58 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,153,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I for one bought a house near the farm and have no issue with it. The smell never stole a car or broke into a house. Not sure what developer thinks is a good idea to put there. Still plenty of vacant retail space in that area, and no more apartments are needed or wanted.
Same feelings here. We knew exactly what we were getting into when we purchased our home. No complaints here.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:21 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalbo View Post
I for one bought a house near the farm and have no issue with it. The smell never stole a car or broke into a house. Not sure what developer thinks is a good idea to put there. Still plenty of vacant retail space in that area, and no more apartments are needed or wanted.
I just hope its developed wisely. Its 153 acres! I hope they will make it a mixed use development in the likenesss of a San Fran or Boston neighborhood. Yeah I got big dreams .

Old 03-11-2016, 04:44 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,343,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
I just hope its developed wisely. Its 153 acres! I hope they will make it a mixed use development in the likenesss of a San Fran or Boston neighborhood. Yeah I got big dreams .
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, just realistic. If you wanted a city that is congested and crowded with high rise buildings, nothing but cement. and that you walk everywhere, why did you come to a western city that will never be any of those things? We love our wide open spaces in the west, and we love the way things are done in the west as opposed to all the rules and restrictions they have back east. We don't believe in a nanny government here. And, that's what made Nevada...well, Nevada. And Nevada is what brought you here, so you really wouldn't want to spoil what we have. I'd advise getting outside more. Buy a gun, get a hunting license (although I hope you don't kill any deer), get a Jeep, ride a horse or a mountain bike or a dune buggy. Just don't fence me in. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...cial&FORM=VDRE

Old 03-11-2016, 05:04 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,795,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danknee View Post
The taxes are high because his property is now worth a bundle instead of very little. Besides receiving millions of dollars, what additional help would be need?
He pays no significant taxes. It is all Clark County and taxed as open land or agriculture. I doubt he pays $5,000 a year on the whole spread.

Old 03-11-2016, 07:08 PM

1,105 posts, read 1,786,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
Sorry, I don't mean to be rude, just realistic. If you wanted a city that is congested and crowded with high rise buildings, nothing but cement. and that you walk everywhere, why did you come to a western city that will never be any of those things? We love our wide open spaces in the west, and we love the way things are done in the west as opposed to all the rules and restrictions they have back east. We don't believe in a nanny government here. And, that's what made Nevada...well, Nevada. And Nevada is what brought you here, so you really wouldn't want to spoil what we have. I'd advise getting outside more. Buy a gun, get a hunting license (although I hope you don't kill any deer), get a Jeep, ride a horse or a mountain bike or a dune buggy. Just don't fence me in. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...cial&FORM=VDRE
Hey, it's only a 153 ACRES out of 110,000 square MILES. Mixed use is what they're doing in Henderson and what they're trying in Summerlin. Las Vegas is constantly trying to re-invent itself by tearing down and building new and that is why people keep coming here. I get your perspective of Nevada not being like the east coast nor the west coast and I respect that. That is what I like about living here. The Libertarian vibe, and if that was to change, it would be a shame. At the same time, in my opinion parts of this state is stuck because of a few powerful people who ultimately pull the strings.

A good example is the recent issue of solar power. Why would the power players let such a good business and environmental issue die? We could bring in more business, revenue and respect for this state but again a few power players would rather live in the past instead of look to the future. I cannot state my position as eloquently as Scoop can but I agree with a lot of his views on the city (I hope this thread doesn't turn into a crapfest).

People complain about crime, bad schools and lack of medical professionals living here. I say it's because of a population who see things as you do. I think some changes are needed for us as a metro to move forward. I was thinking to myself the other day, "I live in the City of North Las Vegas. I live in the city with the worst reputation in the whole entire state." And now you're telling me to question why I would even think to want something better for my city??

I see the Combs family's decision to move the pig farm out to Apex as a gift and legacy to the city of North Las Vegas. They are bringing a real world issue (recycling) to the table, literally. Tourist come here from all over the world and he cleans up after them. And he is leaving the City of North Las Vegas some pretty fertile land in more ways than one He's leaving the city the potential to reinvent itself from a place people talk badly about to a place that can be on the forefront of change. Because the only constant in life is change.

Also a little background: We were one of the first property owners to purchase a home behind the Combs farm over 12 years ago. I have no problem with him. Evidently my neighbors didn't either or they wouldn't of bought there or would of took off in the crash of 2008. My kid rides horses. I'm up to my olfactory glands in pig, horse and chicken **** on a weekly basis. My family loves to go to the Clark County Shooting Complex to have a little fun. I'm a little complicated. I want to die in my home someday. I don't want to be shipped off to a convalescent hospital when I get too old to manage. I don't want to have to beg and pay people to do things for me when I get up in age. For me that looks like a walkable neighborhood where I can get to services and be independent when I'm 75 or 80. Why can't there be open range Nevada and metropolitan Nevada?

Last edited by MAXIALE02; 03-11-2016 at 07:27 PM..

Old 03-12-2016, 12:33 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I think that I read that he died a couple years ago. I think it's his estate that is moving.

Old 03-12-2016, 12:46 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,987,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXIALE02 View Post
They are bringing a real world issue (recycling) to the table, literally.

I would not willingly eat any pork that came from RC farms. Why? The resorts throw all their "spent" food into special bins which then goes to feed the pigs -- this includes lots of pork. It is never, never, never, never a good idea to introduce livestock to cannibalism. (Read up on mad cow disease. Specifically, google "prions.")
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas