Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotjambalaya View Post
You are right they may well not have more money then you, but they may well earn more money then you. It's just that they it on drugs and booze and you use it on things like food and a home.

However liking animals as I do, I would agree that you cant go wrong giving a few dog biscuits etc to them. When/if they scream at you and throw them back at you you'll realise who is using it as a prop and who cares about their dog.

Didn't happen when I have done that in the past.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 10:24 PM

222 posts, read 226,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
We should make that difficult to impossible. It is simply bad for the town and unless controlled it will sprawl out of control.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:30 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,421,063 times
I have a few basic rules in life. One of those is "DO NOT ENGAGE THE HOBO".

Learn it. Love it. Live it.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:12 AM

5,314 posts, read 7,785,752 times
I found it interesting that it's illegal to solicit money in Henderson, so we don't see the homeless with signs here. Elsewhere, I agree, it's a problem. We do not give money. Period. We also give nothing to anyone with a sign. We will, from time to time, give away our "to go" box from a restaurant, but only if we can be fairly certain the recipient has a true need for food.

Last Thanksgiving we, and a group of volunteers, made care packages (wipes, socks, toothpaste, deodorant, soap, and a lunch bag), and drove to Foremaster Ln and passed them out. We only had 75 packages made and they were gone in less than 5 minutes. This year we're already compiling supplies in the hopes to hit 1000 packages. Still won't make a dent, but we feel if we can help 1000 people, that's a good thing. But we would never give money. I believe, as Scoop does, in helping, but not enabling.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:34 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
The ones I saw there were a couple with a baby. They were asking for bus money also... which was strange because I saw them get out of a car earlier but I just left it alone and just ignored them. There are people who will lie to your face just to get a buck. Sad they had to involve a child.
Art Costco they had the baby carriage. At Lowes we saw them get out of a car in front of BB&B and walk towards Lowes as we drove across from Office Depot. They approached us as we were pulling out of the parking spot after we visited Lowes. They had the carriage and a young boy that time.

Old 03-11-2016, 02:45 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
I thought I had posted this already (somewhere) but I can't find it.

When we lived in Iowa there were beggars at the end of a lot of exit ramps.

One of the TV stations did a story. They followed them and discovered they would all return to set locations (usually parking lots) and get in a van. The van had a set route and the people who got out at each location rotated so there were new faces at the ramps. They then followed the beggars as they got in their new cars and drove home.

Turned out the "poor" lived better than most of those giving them money.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:29 PM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I thought I had posted this already (somewhere) but I can't find it.

When we lived in Iowa there were beggars at the end of a lot of exit ramps.

One of the TV stations did a story. They followed them and discovered they would all return to set locations (usually parking lots) and get in a van. The van had a set route and the people who got out at each location rotated so there were new faces at the ramps. They then followed the beggars as they got in their new cars and drove home.

Turned out the "poor" lived better than most of those giving them money.
Same thing in the Los Angeles area...every so often they'd have a story of following a "homeless" person and they'd get into there mercedes, and drive to the nice house in orange county. It's a shame that these sort of low lifes give the really needy such a bad name. I hope there's a special place in hell for those types.

Old 03-11-2016, 03:56 PM

638 posts, read 594,248 times
Yeah there was that clip of the guy spotting a beggar he regularly gave money to driving a nice new car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5m_vM8SP8Y

They did the same in the uk, tracked down beggars, and showed their homes, and in particular the palaces the romanian ones were building back home.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:39 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
I had an addict aggressively approach me in the Smith's parking lot at Hualapai/Charleston earlier today and it reminded me of this thread. I had just closed the door to my car and they were screaming "I need money for the bus!" all cracked out.
You missed an opportunity. You should've yelled back at them, "I don't have any money for the bus; too bad you didn't need crack 'cause I have some extra I would've shared." and then drive off.

Old 03-13-2016, 10:32 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,262,644 times
On ft. Apache Twain to about Tropicana it seems a few have set up house. What an eyesore! Tents, tons of trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: