Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 04:10 PM

11 posts, read 22,704 times

Advertisements

With all the stories of back in the day the mob (and even sheriff dept[?]) disposing of undesirables in the desert outside of town, has any human remains ever been found during the vast development that has occurred in Las Vegas metro area since then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2016, 04:32 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Yup! It's not all that unusual to find bodies in the desert around here. When I was working at Williams-Sonoma out at Primm a couple years ago, one of my co-workers found one. We had a lot of 'off road' shortcuts we used when the traffic was fierce from people coming and going to Vegas/Cali. Sometimes it was so bad it could take 2 hours to get out of the mall parking lot. So we all had to learn the shortcuts and take our chances out in the desert.

Late one Sunday morning my co-worker was coming to work and traffic on the freeway was completely stopped. So she headed out on one of our shortcuts. She had to drive slowly. When she was passing a ravine, she saw 2 small dogs. In the middle of nowhere, that's just not right. She stopped to pick up the dogs and they led her to their human who was sort of buried in a small depression in the sand/gravel. She put the dogs in her vehicle, gave them water, and called the authorities. She ended up getting to work considerably late. She thought the person had been dead at least a couple days.

It still happens!

Old 03-13-2016, 01:33 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,720,611 times
The mob used the Lake Meade recreational area to dispose of the bodies since the park did not fall into Clark County Sheriffs department jurisdiction. The national park service did not have the resources at that time to conduct investigations when bodies where recovered.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:37 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Where is this "Lake Meade" that people keep referencing? Seriously, I've seen it spelled this way half a dozen times in the last week. Is this lake named after the telescope company?

I imagine you get there by riding down Freemont Street.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:10 AM

1,254 posts, read 1,057,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
Where is this "Lake Meade" that people keep referencing? Seriously, I've seen it spelled this way half a dozen times in the last week. Is this lake named after the telescope company?

Pennsylvania, really, I am being serious.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:11 AM

162 posts, read 242,126 times
Quote:

Yes, to everything you wrote. Yes, just head North down Freemont Street for about an hour.

Old 03-13-2016, 09:26 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
Well, I should take a trip out to Lake Meade. My telescope is in desperate need of collimation. And I'm just a dilettante when it comes to astronomy.

Old 03-13-2016, 11:34 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,311,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hand View Post
With all the stories of back in the day the mob (and even sheriff dept[?]) disposing of undesirables in the desert outside of town, has any human remains ever been found during the vast development that has occurred in Las Vegas metro area since then?
There are some limits to where things can develop. I used to bury bodies on BLM land for this reason, but with all the recreational use on them, now I favor dumping bodies towards the Paiute reservation. Remember that wind will shift sand, so it helps to get the body deep enough that you are digging into clay.

Old 03-13-2016, 04:56 PM

1,631 posts, read 3,950,140 times
Quote:

Here is a link that you can click on to learn about Lake Mead.

Click link to view:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mead

Old 03-13-2016, 07:28 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,057,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 license to sell View Post
Here is a link that you can click on to learn about Lake Mead.

Click link to view:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Mead
This really went right over your head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: