Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2016, 04:28 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times

Advertisements

If your computer savvy or do your research, you can have any programing content you want for free out there. You just know how to look for it. KODI (formerly XMC) is a good piece of software that can run on any linux box or other ready made platforms and can be customized for your needs. I use a fire box with a wired ethernet connection and runs flawless. Invest in a good router and get the fastest internet available in your area and your pretty much good to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2016, 07:08 PM

550 posts, read 637,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
If your computer savvy or do your research, you can have any programing content you want for free out there. You just know how to look for it. KODI (formerly XMC) is a good piece of software that can run on any linux box or other ready made platforms and can be customized for your needs. I use a fire box with a wired ethernet connection and runs flawless. Invest in a good router and get the fastest internet available in your area and your pretty much good to go.
I was intrigued by your suggestion of KODI so I went looking to see what it was all about. While I am in no way an IT person, I can usually find my way around the basics. The first site I read up on KODI gives step by step directions....But then I moved on to the comments section to see what people were talking about after doing the install. Read for yourselves and decide:

A Guide To Kodi and Watching Free Movies and TV Shows: Updated 2016 | WirelessHack

And yes, CORD CUTTER is a bit of a misnomer, but most understand it to be "away from satellite or cable box". Unless you only put up an antenna you will probably have to rely on SOME kind of corded or plug and pay (Fire Stick, Roku Stick) hardware.

Old 03-20-2016, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post
I was intrigued by your suggestion of KODI so I went looking to see what it was all about. While I am in no way an IT person, I can usually find my way around the basics. The first site I read up on KODI gives step by step directions....But then I moved on to the comments section to see what people were talking about after doing the install. Read for yourselves and decide:

A Guide To Kodi and Watching Free Movies and TV Shows: Updated 2016 | WirelessHack

And yes, CORD CUTTER is a bit of a misnomer, but most understand it to be "away from satellite or cable box". Unless you only put up an antenna you will probably have to rely on SOME kind of corded or plug and pay (Fire Stick, Roku Stick) hardware.
I have moved away from watching the local stations, so I'm not even into watching the local news. I have really changed the way I watch TV and watching them on demand. I really have no more interest in any programing from the local networks and if I want to watch local news I can always watch clips online or over the air via antenna. I see this trend with the younger generations that are now switching to watching content on their tablets or phone and not the Television (the younger crowd are glued to their mobile devices and can watch content anywhere).

Old 03-20-2016, 08:10 PM

8,418 posts, read 4,576,990 times
What do you think internet providers who also are content providers will do when everyone jumps off of their content delivery and expects to get it all over just the internet? It's not rocket science folks. They are already enforcing bit limits. Next step, increase internet pricing. They will get your pound of flesh one way or another. Enjoy it while you can.

Old 03-20-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
What do you think internet providers who also are content providers will do when everyone jumps off of their content delivery and expects to get it all over just the internet? It's not rocket science folks. They are already enforcing bit limits. Next step, increase internet pricing. They will get your pound of flesh one way or another. Enjoy it while you can.
I don't think this will happen in a large scale in our present day. There are still a lot of people who do not know how to get the content from the internet. I have family members who are older and watch TV the old fashioned way and pay for cable/sat TV and only watch 1/4 of the available channels. But when the 18-28 year old present crowd are in their 30's-40s this might change. But I am noticing more people cutting down on the cable/sat bill because they do not watch TV because of their busy schedule, switched to netflix type services and renting redbox movies

Old 03-20-2016, 11:35 PM

550 posts, read 637,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
I have moved away from watching the local stations, so I'm not even into watching the local news. I have really changed the way I watch TV and watching them on demand. I really have no more interest in any programing from the local networks and if I want to watch local news I can always watch clips online or over the air via antenna. I see this trend with the younger generations that are now switching to watching content on their tablets or phone and not the Television (the younger crowd are glued to their mobile devices and can watch content anywhere).

Yes, this is very true. My 7.5 yr old and my 10 yr old consume entertainment nearly 100% from YouTube. The stars they want to consume in "real life" are YouTubers. I still force them to watch B&W movies with me, the same way my Grandmother did to me. They realize then that there really aren't many new ideas out there. But they wouldn't consume those movies unless I put it in front of them. Same for old cartoons. They are surprised to see characters from old cartoons saying words like "jack@zz" or smoking cigars. It blows their mind and shocks them, which I love doing, hahaha!

There are many things that we still watch on tv that we can only access in clips and in bits online. That bugs me! So until then, we still have a "cord", but I'm always trying to ditch that expensive albatross!

Old 03-21-2016, 01:33 AM

2,457 posts, read 4,723,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofvegasgirls View Post

Kodi is a personal media serving platform that the code is open sourced so it can be programmed to run on many operating systems. The popularity of Kodi has grown so much that some media groups have develop plugin apps for Kodi to access their online media programming that is meant to be streamed for free like A&E and Fox for instance. Then there are other app developers that program plugins used to steal subscription based programming and rebroadcast over the internet via the IPTV protocol. You have to decide if you want legit paid programming or do you want to steal paid content. Kodi is very legit and is useful as its was designed for. Its the third party developers who are using the Kodi platform to give any household with broadband access the ability to steal subscription based programming.

Old 03-21-2016, 06:26 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
cut ..... the .....cord.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:35 PM

625 posts, read 797,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hank702 View Post
+2 on kodi (with exodus)
+1 on fire box (weak Wi-Fi, had to hardwire mine)
Fire stick is pretty good too, and for the price ($35) it might be worth a try.
Yes Lambda used to run Genesis, but scrapped it and came back with Exodus. Personally use the Fire box. More powerful than the fire stick, and definitely hardwire for best results. But I have friends that use the fire stick but do have complaints from time to time

To me, its the best thing out there to combat a cable bill and I was lucky to stumble onto it reading some sports forum one day. Otherwise Id be torrenting everything and Im getting a little too lazy for that.

Old 03-28-2016, 11:42 PM

10,864 posts, read 16,994,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
To me, its the best thing out there to combat a cable bill

Being happy with broadcast television is the best thing out there to combat a cable bill. (Or having a cavalier attitude towards copyright and a fast internet connection. But I don't recommend that.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas