Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 03:30 PM

378 posts, read 332,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsportpilot View Post
the airport being relocated 30 miles away would hurt the tourism industry, in Vegas traffic that's hours away
AzSportPilot
Not 'hours away', minutes away.
Distance with the new technology now has nothing to do with it. Everything in the future will be time. IVP will be 10 minutes away. LA, 2 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 04:55 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruff View Post
Like some how that's a reason for not being proactive...? In this case, the ass I save may be you(rs)!
You must realize that the answer is zero. There has not been a single fatal airline crash in Nevada in the last 50 years.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Embedded
So, health and safety don't matter because "There are lots of airports in densely populated areas and (you've not) heard of any ever moved for that reason", the benefit vs cost math doesn't add up, and (you say) having McCarren on our doorstep is a huge convenience.

You are right about one thing, BBMW: it doesn't add up. Get back to me after the three-seven slams into your neighborhood.

Old 03-31-2016, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
You must realize that the answer is zero. There has not been a single fatal airline crash in Nevada in the last 50 years.
And that guarantees that it won't happen, right? What about the pollution, the noise and the congestion?
Priceless, right?

Old 03-31-2016, 06:10 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
In case you don't know yet (the regulars here do), I live in NYC. Unlike Vegas, we've had it happen. An Airbus plowed into a bunch of houses in the Rockaways not long after 9/11. I saw the burned out houses first hand.

No one ever said anything moving JFK.

Quote:
So, health and safety don't matter because "There are lots of airports in densely populated areas and (you've not) heard of any ever moved for that reason", the benefit vs cost math doesn't add up, and (you say) having McCarren on our doorstep is a huge convenience.

You are right about one thing, BBMW: it doesn't add up. Get back to me after the three-seven slams into your neighborhood.

Last edited by BBMW; 03-31-2016 at 06:22 PM..

Old 03-31-2016, 09:39 PM

529 posts, read 512,272 times
OP is trolling. Stop feeding him.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:06 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Vegas is about sex and money. What more is there to understand?
Wrong! Vegas is about money and money and money and money and money! Sex tourists don't come here, why would they? They head for the sex capitals, Bangkok the biggest, the most successful of them all, Amsterdam and the Zona Norte district of Tijuana.

For Uber, Lyft, the taxi unions, building the Airport in Ivanpah would be having their greediest dreams come true!

Old 04-01-2016, 01:17 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Quote:
"Las Vegas in unique in that our airport is in close proximity to the Strip". The general consensus on this site is that having McCarran where it is, regardless of the noise, pollution, general dysfunction and mayhem from the approaching Big Bang, is "good" because "People want to come and go as quickly as possible"

Do visitors really care how far they are from the airport when, regardless of how far, they can get to their destination, whether it be the Strip or Downtown or, increasingly, one of the other off-Strip locations (examples Sam's Town, Green Valley Ranch, M, or Red Rocks) as quickly one way or the other - and that in this case, "the other" is in a location that removes the noise, pollution and potential for for mayhem to a safe distance?

Given the choice, I say they (the visitors) would go for the alternative. I also say that the most residents (those on this site excepted) would say the same.

I say that it's time that we asked Steve Harvey: "Survey says...."
McCarran was there first even before all those master planned communities were developed, its an economic driver for Clark County. McCarran in close proximity to the Strip is a boost to our tourism and not just tourism but trade shows and convention. For those complaining about airport noise, move to Pahrump or Death Valley.

Old 04-01-2016, 02:01 AM

743 posts, read 968,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
(I have a TSA "get out of lines" card.)
Best definition of a "money grab" I think I've ever seen in my entire life.

Old 04-01-2016, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
McCarran is an economic driver for Clark County. (Its) close proximity to the Strip is a boost to our tourism and not just tourism but trade shows and convention.
An airport is not an 'economic driver'. People do not use an airport except to get to and from the economic drivers. Show me a single study that indicates that its proximity is a factor in anything except being an economic anvil, an environmental nightmare and, outside of a nuke or carpet bombing, the most lethal catastrophe possible.
All mitigatable by moving it and connecting it with high speed rail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas