Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 03:59 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times

Advertisements

I donated a dog to Metro that I had rescued out of Dewey. Officer Jake. A high spirited black lab that became a drug sniffing dog. Working breeds love to work. My Aussie would be a perfect testament to that. That said, those people that strictly view these canines as tools are missing out on one of the best relationships you could ever experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 05:04 AM

206 posts, read 182,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I donated a dog to Metro that I had rescued out of Dewey. Officer Jake. A high spirited black lab that became a drug sniffing dog. Working breeds love to work. My Aussie would be a perfect testament to that. That said, those people that strictly view these canines as tools are missing out on one of the best relationships you could ever experience.
How many drug sniffing dogs have been shot and killed? You're way off subject.

Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqibbcakes View Post
How many drug sniffing dogs have been shot and killed? You're way off subject.
I'm sorry, when were you nominated as thread mod?

Old 04-12-2016, 10:08 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,318,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
She's not way off thread at all. NLVgal is addressing those who see animals as nothing more than disposable creatures lower on the food scale. Hope it doesn't hit too close to home for you.

Old 04-12-2016, 01:11 PM

687 posts, read 1,944,822 times
I don't understand why there is such an out pouring of emotion and consternation about the shooting of Nicky - a police dog. People are starting gofundme campaigns, they are collecting money to buy bullet proof vests for dogs at $1000 each and on and on. Where's the outrage over the 100's of dogs that police shoot every year. Dogs are almost target practice for some police departments - it's so bad and you never hear a word. Seems like an extreme double standard to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...o-be-that-way/

Old 04-12-2016, 01:53 PM

206 posts, read 182,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Croce View Post
I don't understand why there is such an out pouring of emotion and consternation about the shooting of Nicky - a police dog. People are starting gofundme campaigns, they are collecting money to buy bullet proof vests for dogs at $1000 each and on and on. Where's the outrage over the 100's of dogs that police shoot every year. Dogs are almost target practice for some police departments - it's so bad and you never hear a word. Seems like an extreme double standard to me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poste...o-be-that-way/
Because police had command of this dog, and yes police shot Nicky.

Old 04-12-2016, 05:55 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times
The idea of providing kelvar for the k-9's is a fair and understandable desire, however I participated in very detailed study, finding that k-9's tend to overheat when wearing the vests. We also tested "cooling" vests...they tended to restrict movement...

My point is that this climate tends to provide special challenges...the intent is honorable, however the functional reality is subject to question !

People need to realize that LEO was between a rock and hard place..they had a suspect going for a firearm...they were not close enough to Taz and tried to utilize Nicky as the least amount of force to subdue the suspect. Unfortunately even as fast as a K-9 is, the suspect still gained access...but thanks to Nicky...he could not again accuracy...at that point LEO had NO alternative but to fire on the suspect...Nicky sacrificed his life that day...no officers were injured and the suspect did survive....is it sad...yes...was it wrong...put yourself in LEO's place.....they did what they had to do....all lives matter...its that simple !

Old 04-12-2016, 06:45 PM

8,419 posts, read 4,574,906 times
When a goose strikes an aircraft there is no outcry to ban planes. Why not? An animal lost its life because of human presence. I assume its because geese aren't as cute as dogs?

We give different value to different animals lives. No one bats an eye at the swatting of a fly. Why is a flies life worth anything less then a dogs or a humans?

The more an animal seems to possess human qualities, the more we place value on that animal. Right up until we reach actual humans of course.

Weird.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:01 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,759 times
Where is the OP's outrage over the CDC purposely injecting hundreds of pregnant monkeys with Zeka to help determine the effects of the virus on pregnancy?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas