Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 02:31 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarkcty View Post
NO! The lowlife tenants know the Police are keeping an eye on them and NO I'm not moving I own my place and live in a nice community, the investor owners are the ones ruining it for everyone and not just in my community but all over Clark County.
I commented on this investor owned problem quite some time ago, and as expected was met with opposition from certain special interest parties, specifically realtors. The argument then being "any" body in a property is better than "no body". During the real estate bust, absentee investors swept in and snatched properties for pennies on the dollar, and then immediately began the rental game. No particular area is or was immune to this problem...Battling with faceless absentee investors and worthless management companies can be extremely disheartening and discouraging.

I personally saw nice 500k homes being suddenly targeted to become "group homes"...and others of less value being occupied by Section 8 tenants. Now get this clear...I have absolute full compassion for those down on their luck...however a large majority of those properties become nothing more than transient flop houses.

We had one specific problem with a very nice 2800 SF home, 5 BR, with a pool, suddenly undertaken by a section 8 tenant. It began with two adults and three children...and within 1-2 months housed approximately 20 people of all age ranges....contact with the rental agent was useless, being told that "once allowed to occupy, eviction can be very difficult". Contact with the faceless investor was another dead end. On final departure, the rental agent removed 20 mattresses, and discovered that the previous tenant have even sold the appliances...pay back is a *****, as they had to do a total renovation !

One thing I found that does work is CAMERAS....Those invasive little things tend to affect behavior that threats and warnings never could. I am not saying they work in every situation, however if those obnoxious tenants are aware that their activity is documented and monitored...they tend to change behavior...or they will move !

As long as this real estate economy is based on the "theory" that cash is king...I fear this problem will continue. This city, being as transient as it is, lends itself to that type of living environment.

I am sure, someone (probably a realtor) will respond to this alleging my attitude is either racist or discriminatory...fact being...Quite the contrary...I believe in the "hand up not hand out" concept. Fire away...I have thick skin !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2016, 02:51 PM

15,822 posts, read 14,460,687 times
The government out there (cites or county) does not seem to have any inclination to deal with the problems that can be caused by renters. HOAs do have the authority to go after problem owners, with fines that can be backed up by foreclosure. But a lot of times they don't want to be bothered either. Then again, there are usually not a lot of people who want to be on the boards. So if you're an owner that does care, and want to do something about it, politic in the community controlled by the HOA, and try to get control of one or more seats. Then you're in the position to turn the screws on the problem owners.

Old 04-06-2016, 03:34 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,488,907 times
Irish and BBMW I agree with everything you both posted. It is disappointing when you have homeowners who care about the community, I have plenty of wonderful neighbors within my immediate area, all retired, who are frustrated with these tenants of out of state landlords. They too see, hear and know what is going on in our neighborhood. We don't give up and keep fighting, we keep our community nice and clean and tend to our front yards the same way everyday, with or without these problem tenants. We don't let them take over the community.

Yes calling the police on a regular basis is effective! These people are behaving and tend to curb their illegal and rowdy behaviour. I wish I did not have to call but it's just the way it is at the moment.

Old 04-06-2016, 05:45 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,780,695 times
It really sounds like a neighborhood thing. We are renters, and 4 out of the 10 houses immediately surrounding us also rent. Not a lick of problems. Rents are $1400-$1600/mo depending on the house. I'm guessing that plays into it as well. The only problem we had was about a year and a half or two years ago when the house 4 down from us was rented to hookers, and the only problem was an increase in traffic, and lasted 6 months until they moved. Crime is still non-existent in my immediate neighborhood according to Alert ID. A mile or two away there are the typical property crimes that are fairly rampant in the valley.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:26 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
Quote:
HOA is useless, they pass the problem to the investor owner/realtor which for obvious reason do not care if their tenants cause chaos in the community.
I am an HOA board member. HOA boards are not in a position to enforce the maintenance of individual properties in a development. The main concerns are the outward appearance of properties and the community in general, and making sure that common areas are maintained.

Old 04-06-2016, 07:32 PM

98 posts, read 132,756 times
Quote:
HOA is useless, they pass the problem to the investor owner/realtor which for obvious reason do not care if their tenants cause chaos in the community. I call the cops all the time, they are the only ones notifying the problem tenants they are being monitored.
It's not HOA's responsibility to make sure your rental property is up to your liking. It's their job to make sure you are playing by the rules of the development. If you are a renter it's on you to inspect the property before you sign on the dotted line. If you run into a bad landlord you have things at your disposal to use. Not the HOA.

Old 04-06-2016, 08:09 PM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I live in an older Eastside townhouse complex, with 433 units, and when the Treasurer of the HOA, who lives next door to me, sends out letter to the owners, 50% of those letters were sent to Hawaii!

Given the failures of the HOA, to police the community, I'll be retiring to a non-HOA dwelling and save the $135 a month and use that for other purposes, a better security system for my house perhaps, and I will not miss either of the 2 pools here, as I've never used them in 19 years! Why subsidize those that use the pools?

Old 04-07-2016, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
I am an HOA board member. HOA boards are not in a position to enforce the maintenance of individual properties in a development. The main concerns are the outward appearance of properties and the community in general, and making sure that common areas are maintained.
HOA are supposed to uphold the CC&Rs and By Laws of the community making sure it is being followed by everyone, homeowners and renters. Otherwise, why bother with CC&Rs and Bylaws if the HOA will just let anyone do as they please. Mind you we are talking about severe violations like drug activity, high traffic, defacing property, unregistered tenants, noise nuisance......These are just some of the reasons why there are rules/regulations/bylaws in communities with HOA.

HOA is not only responsible for taking care of community bills but making sure the community is adhering to its own sets of rules and regulations.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N804SY View Post
It's not HOA's responsibility to make sure your rental property is up to your liking. It's their job to make sure you are playing by the rules of the development. If you are a renter it's on you to inspect the property before you sign on the dotted line. If you run into a bad landlord you have things at your disposal to use. Not the HOA.

Let me remind you I own my home and the problem is the out of state investor owned unit above mine not caring about what goes on. Yes I have served on the board as well but when you have un-cooperative board members who are investors themselves, its useless being on the board being out-voted.

Why else would they (investor board members) make decisions against a renter that could possibly affect their own tenants.

Old 04-07-2016, 10:16 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,343,396 times
If there is a possible violation of state law, you can always file a complaint in the consumer complaint section on the Nevada Attorney General's website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: