Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 03:29 PM

621 posts, read 538,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
It is NOT a silly argument at all. Believe it or not, there is a breaking point for the average tourist. Can Las Vegas just live off the big whales that come? I would rather not find out.
If there is a breaking point, I'm quite certain $1 is not it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 03:45 PM

452 posts, read 336,363 times
Quote:
It is NOT a silly argument at all. Believe it or not, there is a breaking point for the average tourist. Can Las Vegas just live off the big whales that come? I would rather not find out.
Won't have too, this stadium is going to bring in more tourist

Old 09-15-2016, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
Won't have too, this stadium is going to bring in more tourist
This is something I tend to agree with some of the naysayers about. How many more tourists can Las Vegas possibly bring in, and will a vacant stadium draw them in? I tend to think no. A Super Bowl certainly would, as January and February are the slowest months for tourism, but that would only happen once maybe every 7 or 8 years.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
This is something I tend to agree with some of the naysayers about. How many more tourists can Las Vegas possibly bring in, and will a vacant stadium draw them in? I tend to think no. A Super Bowl certainly would, as January and February are the slowest months for tourism, but that would only happen once maybe every 7 or 8 years.
We have Resort World which could have up to 3000 rooms and Wynn's Paradise lagoon which will add another 1000 rooms. Those are going to need to be filled and the new events that are held at the stadium will help fill them. Yes I know 30 events or more won't fill the hotels every day but the stadium will bring in new money that wasn't here before.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:20 PM

Quote:
We have Resort World which could have up to 3000 rooms and Wynn's Paradise lagoon which will add another 1000 rooms. Those are going to need to be filled and the new events that are held at the stadium will help fill them. Yes I know 30 events or more won't fill the hotels every day but the stadium will bring in new money that wasn't here before.
Will it offset what it costs though? That's what a lot of the people against it ask. In my opinion there is a price worth paying for a stadium, because it raises the chances that UNLV can make it into a top-tier sports conference, and obviously having an NFL team in Las Vegas will change the city for sure. A lot of people don't realize what professional sports does for a community because Las Vegas has never had pro sports. As someone who is going to be relocating to Las Vegas in a couple weeks I'm pretty excited about it.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
Will it offset what it costs though? That's what a lot of the people against it ask. In my opinion there is a price worth paying for a stadium, because it raises the chances that UNLV can make it into a top-tier sports conference, and obviously having an NFL team in Las Vegas will change the city for sure. A lot of people don't realize what professional sports does for a community because Las Vegas has never had pro sports. As someone who is going to be relocating to Las Vegas in a couple weeks I'm pretty excited about it.
It will help offset the cost by bringing in people that have had no interest in Vegas before. It will also help keep money from leaving Vegas as well. Everyone I know out here has traveled to other states to go see their favorite team play, now they will be able to spend that money here.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:52 PM

529 posts, read 512,027 times
Quote:
It will help offset the cost by bringing in people that have had no interest in Vegas before. It will also help keep money from leaving Vegas as well. Everyone I know out here has traveled to other states to go see their favorite team play, now they will be able to spend that money here.
You're omitting fact that all of that money would go to Adelson and Raiders. That does not help the economy at all. They are even trying to get out of having to pay taxes on it to the state in the form of payroll or LET and dodge all future taxes. At least that is the one thing the committee did not give in on in the vote.

As for the rest, the number of people that will say "The Raiders are in Las Vegas. Now I have to go there for the first time/I don't hate Las Vegas anymore because it has an NFL team so I'm going to visit" is nil. To argue otherwise is absolutely ludicrous.

The special events you keep mentioning that are allegedly so great are money losers. Google "Indianapolis lost money on Super Bowl/Big 10 Championship/NCAA Final Four" and read about those debacles before trying to claim what a wonderful economic/tax benefit the events will have. You can replace Indianapolis with any other host city and find the same results but those are the most recent reports.

Old 09-15-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post

The special events you keep mentioning that are allegedly so great are money losers. Google "Indianapolis lost money on Super Bowl/Big 10 Championship/NCAA Final Four" and read about those debacles before trying to claim what a wonderful economic/tax benefit the events will have. You can replace Indianapolis with any other host city and find the same results but those are the most recent reports.
Sorry but you can't compare any other city to Las Vegas, so google won't give me the correct answer.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:11 PM

1,607 posts, read 2,013,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Or maybe 100 years, or maybe somewhere in between.
No, take a look at none other that Exhibit A: St. Louis, MO. I moved there in '95 when the Edward Jones Dome was built to much enthusiasm and celebration. Little over 20 years later, the Rams have left because they wanted a new stadium.

20 years, and this boondoggle will be dated and the Raiders will be wanting us to pay for a new stadium before the old one is paid for. The exact situation that Indianapolis is in. But Indy A.K.A Dumptown is flyover country, so they have nothing else going for them.

So when we balk about paying for ANOTHER stadium, they'll move back to Oakland. By that time Oakland will have gotten their act together and will have a stadium. The NFL sucks, they know they have a popular product that cities will pay through the nose for. It's sad really.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:27 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
Quote:
No, take a look at none other that Exhibit A: St. Louis, MO. I moved there in '95 when the Edward Jones Dome was built to much enthusiasm and celebration. Little over 20 years later, the Rams have left because they wanted a new stadium.

20 years, and this boondoggle will be dated and the Raiders will be wanting us to pay for a new stadium before the old one is paid for. The exact situation that Indianapolis is in. But Indy A.K.A Dumptown is flyover country, so they have nothing else going for them.

So when we balk about paying for ANOTHER stadium, they'll move back to Oakland. By that time Oakland will have gotten their act together and will have a stadium. The NFL sucks, they know they have a popular product that cities will pay through the nose for. It's sad really.
Tsk. I made it simple for you. Just click the link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas