Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2016, 05:34 PM

529 posts, read 512,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
Sorry but you can't compare any other city to Las Vegas, so google won't give me the correct answer.
You're right. No other city would give someone with Adelson's background the time of day, much less endorse giving the largest stadium subsidy in the history of the world. It is usually the tourists that are suckers.

I'd like to hear why Las Vegas won't have to spend money on police, fire and EMT overtime. Those are the typical cost overruns. How is Las Vegas different?

The stadium already would start out $131 million worse off than Indianapolis (the current worst stadium subsidy in history) and taxpayers get no return on investment. Somehow "because it's Vegas, baby!" makes that alright.

I will concede that you were right about the committee passing this with nearly everything Adelson wanted. I'm shocked though and can't help but want to know what went on behind closed doors.

I still don't think a two-thirds vote in the Legislature is a slam dunk. Assembly is 24-17 GOP. It takes 28 votes there. State senate is 11-10 GOP. It takes 14 votes there. How will Sands get seven democrats to support this? I would be willing to bet that it won't be 100% backed by GOP either right before an election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2016, 05:57 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
But Indy A.K.A Dumptown is flyover country, so they have nothing else going for them.
Gee, I thought they had a car race or something.

And isn't it a favorite spot for the Witness Protection Program?

Last edited by SportyandMisty; 09-15-2016 at 06:08 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 06:21 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,886,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
You're right. No other city would give someone with Adelson's background the time of day, much less endorse giving the largest stadium subsidy in the history of the world. It is usually the tourists that are suckers.

I'd like to hear why Las Vegas won't have to spend money on police, fire and EMT overtime. Those are the typical cost overruns. How is Las Vegas different?

The stadium already would start out $131 million worse off than Indianapolis (the current worst stadium subsidy in history) and taxpayers get no return on investment. Somehow "because it's Vegas, baby!" makes that alright.

I will concede that you were right about the committee passing this with nearly everything Adelson wanted. I'm shocked though and can't help but want to know what went on behind closed doors.

I still don't think a two-thirds vote in the Legislature is a slam dunk. Assembly is 24-17 GOP. It takes 28 votes there. State senate is 11-10 GOP. It takes 14 votes there. How will Sands get seven democrats to support this? I would be willing to bet that it won't be 100% backed by GOP either right before an election.
He gave them goodie bags with Raiders Jerseys and Sands shirts. Nothing that big. Oh yeah those $20k checks, but that wouldn't sway anyone to give him all he wanted would it?

Donations to legislators being made too, but of course those won't sway any votes.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:33 PM

625 posts, read 797,227 times
Quote:
You're omitting fact that all of that money would go to Adelson and Raiders. That does not help the economy at all. They are even trying to get out of having to pay taxes on it to the state in the form of payroll or LET and dodge all future taxes. At least that is the one thing the committee did not give in on in the vote.

As for the rest, the number of people that will say "The Raiders are in Las Vegas. Now I have to go there for the first time/I don't hate Las Vegas anymore because it has an NFL team so I'm going to visit" is nil. To argue otherwise is absolutely ludicrous.

The special events you keep mentioning that are allegedly so great are money losers. Google "Indianapolis lost money on Super Bowl/Big 10 Championship/NCAA Final Four" and read about those debacles before trying to claim what a wonderful economic/tax benefit the events will have. You can replace Indianapolis with any other host city and find the same results but those are the most recent reports.
I know youre dead set against Las Vegas growing and being a real city, but you cant really believe this. People will be spending money all over the city when they fly in.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
He gave them goodie bags with Raiders Jerseys and Sands shirts. Nothing that big. Oh yeah those $20k checks, but that wouldn't sway anyone to give him all he wanted would it?

Donations to legislators being made too, but of course those won't sway any votes.
Adelson/Sands gave $200k for the primaries to state legislators. The amount he has given for the general election is unknown yet. I wonder if that is part of why they want to push the special session to the front of the GE. We will know quickly after it how much he donated. I suspect it will be a baffling amount. Of course, all of it was out of the goodness of his heart and none of it is to sway votes.

Old 09-15-2016, 06:37 PM

452 posts, read 336,596 times
Quote:
Your buddy has already given up hope

https://twitter.com/RalstonReports/s...95356460670976

Old 09-15-2016, 07:06 PM

359 posts, read 361,480 times
i have little doubt it will pass i hope we dont end up with a billion dollar stadium for unlv

Old 09-15-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bps401 View Post
I know youre dead set against Las Vegas growing and being a real city, but you cant really believe this. People will be spending money all over the city when they fly in.
I've never once opposed the stadium. I supported giving them $500 million that included a UNLV rev share agreement for their events and nothing else. We will end up giving them nearly three times that amount by the end based off their own figures.

All Adelson/Sands is doing is giving the stadium a loan so they can get part of the revenue generated and hope the NFL permits them to gain equity in the Raiders. That is what I'm opposed to. We're helping Adelson become an NFL owner and at worst he gets part of the stadium revenue while we get nothing.

Some people support using tax dollars so Adelson can try to buy an NFL team. That is really what this all comes down to. I don't support that. It sounds like you and a few others here do. We'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Nearly all of the attendees at Raiders games would be locals. Most of the people at UNLV games would be locals and those that aren't already come to those games for the most part. There is virtually no economic benefit for those games except for the diversion of local entertainment dollars.

That is about 17 of the 30 or so events the stadium would draw. More than half the events will involve mostly people that are already here. The money those people would spend at the stadium is money otherwise lost from the local economy that would then go directly to the Raiders and Adelson/Sands. UNLV would get the ticket prices but they get that at Sam Boyd now. Maybe more people then go to UNLV games but that is still local money going from one source to another.

At best, it washes the other events, which will not be completely void of locals either. It seems nobody wants to talk about that cannibalization effect.

Last edited by LasVegasPlayer; 09-15-2016 at 07:33 PM..

Old 09-15-2016, 07:41 PM

2,719 posts, read 3,491,051 times
Spend the 750 million dollars to connect the monorail to the airport , the Strip and Downtown Vegas, this way local officials and resort operators can fleece the visitors even faster. No need to wait in traffic and the visitors get to ride comfortably on the monorail to the Strip and Downtown Vegas.

Old 09-15-2016, 07:47 PM

625 posts, read 797,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyaw View Post
No, take a look at none other that Exhibit A: St. Louis, MO. I moved there in '95 when the Edward Jones Dome was built to much enthusiasm and celebration. Little over 20 years later, the Rams have left because they wanted a new stadium.

20 years, and this boondoggle will be dated and the Raiders will be wanting us to pay for a new stadium before the old one is paid for. The exact situation that Indianapolis is in. But Indy A.K.A Dumptown is flyover country, so they have nothing else going for them.

So when we balk about paying for ANOTHER stadium, they'll move back to Oakland. By that time Oakland will have gotten their act together and will have a stadium. The NFL sucks, they know they have a popular product that cities will pay through the nose for. It's sad really.
For that one example, there are a handful of other examples of most stadiums going 30+ years

SF, Miami, Pitt, Giants are first four I googled
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas