Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2016, 08:12 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times

Advertisements

I knew they'd said there would be a special session called. I suspect they're going to push it through but it will be a close vote. Like 6 to 5 or something if you get what I mean.

I was surprised to see several institutions speak out against it after the Tourism and Infrastructure unanimously voted on it. There was the Tax people, the Labor Union and the Culinary group. The most clever one was the Culinary group with their animation. They had to have been working on that for awhile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwsq-3vTpEw

The Labor Union has since changed it's stance and is for it now.

I read that Oakland is still fighting to keep them with a proposal to build a microstadium. Plus two team members are campaigning to stay in Oakland. That microstadiums are the way of the future they say. My friends from Oakland say that's just a bluff. That Oakland doesn't have any money to do that and they believe that Las Vegas is going to get the Raiders but that it's not going to be good for Las Vegas. They cited looking at every major Olympic games and how building huge mega sports structures for them has cost the city more than it's worth. In some cases destroying those cities and bankrupting them. That was the first real point made that really made me doubt this would be good for Las Vegas.

Also the city has re-proposed the Cashman Center as the development site to developers. They had to make another play for it as it will save us $272 million dollars to build it there instead of the preferred site on the Southern end of the Strip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 01:13 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
I especially enjoy the part where they stress that the public will own it when the deal says the public gets exactly 0% of the revenues.
The last thing the Raiders want to do is own the stadium. The owner incurs property taxes. By having the public own it, there is no property tax bill.

The Raiders just want to own the revenue stream.

Better still, the Raiders want to own zero of the cost stream.

Old 10-09-2016, 01:20 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Here's the thing I don't understand.

If you're a big fan of the Raiders, and if you live in Las Vegas, wouldn't it be better to negotiate a deal with the NFL channel so that all Raiders games are delivered here so you can watch the games on TV?

Or just buy the NFL Season Ticket or whatever it is called so you can watch all Raiders games?

That way, Las Vegans can enjoy all the benefits of the Raiders -- seeing every game -- without incurring any of the costs or negative externalities (the Stadium, the traffic, etc).

I mean, seriously. It is far better to watch an NFL game in my home theater.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:00 PM

452 posts, read 336,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post

Unless your team loses, nothing beats watching your favorite team live. I went to the Kings hockey game friday night and I can't tell you how nice it was being able to go to a pro game and drive home after. I can't wait till im able to go see a pro football game or big college game and come home after instead of a hotel.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:08 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
Quote:

If you're a big fan of the Raiders, and if you live in Las Vegas, wouldn't it be better to negotiate a deal with the NFL channel so that all Raiders games are delivered here so you can watch the games on TV?

Or just buy the NFL Season Ticket or whatever it is called so you can watch all Raiders games?

That way, Las Vegans can enjoy all the benefits of the Raiders -- seeing every game -- without incurring any of the costs or negative externalities (the Stadium, the traffic, etc).

Is there any NFL city that offers that to the locals? I have no idea, just wondering. I would think they would depend on locals for some percentage of the revenue.

For the most part it is much more comfortable watching from home, but we did enjoy going to a couple Steelers games every season, getting nose bleed seats and twirling our Terrible Towels! The whole vibe of being at the game is awesome!

Old 10-09-2016, 02:35 PM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
Quote:

Yes, but they want to enjoy the "ambiance" of the live Raiders games. You know, the dumb, drunk fans, the sideshow of the same dumb drunk fans sucker punching other fans, the $15 flat beer, etc. All those wonderful things you can't possibly duplicate at home. And all for the price tag of $1.2 Billion of taxpayer money. I guess the high school brawls on Friday nights could just be a "warm up" for the pro brawls on Sunday.

What a deal that will make Las Vegas the place everyone wants to come to. Maybe we should build two stadiums, just in case the grass is painted wrong, it's just other peoples money, who cares.

Old 10-09-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
Yes, but they want to enjoy the "ambiance" of the live Raiders games. You know, the dumb, drunk fans, the sideshow of the same dumb drunk fans sucker punching other fans, the $15 flat beer, etc. All those wonderful things you can't possibly duplicate at home. And all for the price tag of $1.2 Billion of taxpayer money. I guess the high school brawls on Friday nights could just be a "warm up" for the pro brawls on Sunday.

What a deal that will make Las Vegas the place everyone wants to come to. Maybe we should build two stadiums, just in case the grass is painted wrong, it's just other peoples money, who cares.
Where do you get 1.2 billion from clearly you are miss informed. And just because you don't like sports means others can't go and enjoy games?

Old 10-09-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
Where do you get 1.2 billion from clearly you are miss informed. And just because you don't like sports means others can't go and enjoy games?
Actually I enjoy sports. However, the part I don't like is when you are expecting others to pay for your entertainment, especially when the owners and players are billionaires/multi-millionaires. I do dislike morons engaging in criminal acts and public drunkenness, (which someone pointed out is just "part of the game") but I can choose to not be around that. Hard to avoid the taxpayer obligation.

If this stadium proposal was privately funded (like any other business location) then I'd consider my objections to it pretty "minor", and would probably see it in a more positive light, certainly from a community perspective.

Now, please answer my question...the way I remember it, you aren't even a Nevada resident. Why do you feel so entitled to force Nevadans into debt so you can see a couple games?

Old 10-09-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post

Now, please answer my question...the way I remember it, you aren't even a Nevada resident. Why do you feel so entitled to force Nevadans into debt so you can see a couple games?
I have lived in Vegas for 22 years now, is that not long enough to be a NV resident? And yes im glad the tourist and not my friends,family or I will be paying for the stadium.

Old 10-09-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisoccer99 View Post
I have lived in Vegas for 22 years now, is that not long enough to be a NV resident? And yes im glad the tourist and not my friends,family or I will be paying for the stadium.
My sincere apologies, I thought I remember you saying you lived in CA. However, you still miss the point that if the hotel tax is for some reason not enough to pay for the stadium, the taxpayers are responsible. Which will lead to higher taxes. Not a positive position, IMHO.

And please do tell why your desire to watch a couple games should obligate me to potentially pay higher taxes to subsidize it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas