Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 04:41 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,328,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
With this move looking more and more likely I'm curious where everyone's preferred site for the new stadium is.
As I understand it the two sites under consideration are basically the same place. I cannot see much difference.

In either case they need to do a really clever job of cementing the things into the infrastructure...both highway and the Strip. Be terribly if we got a massive traffic screw up out of the deal. I think the speedway was poorly done and hope we can do better than that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2017, 05:54 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,443,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
You're not going to want to live here if stadium gets built and Raiders bail early. The law makes it very clear the investor, whoever it is, can walk away at any time and have the Stadium Authority collapse, forcing taxpayers to clean up the mess. There is no reason to think there will be any other outcome if stadium loses money down the road. The law doesn't even require an NFL team to pay a penalty to break lease.

I'll be retired and moved on by then. Even if it may never affect me, I still think that was dirty to allow the law to be written that way. They let the lobbyists have everything they wanted.

Wow, I wasn't aware of that. Surely Las Vegas could have gotten a better deal than that. Especially after what just happened in St. Louis, there was no need to give the team so much leverage.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:00 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,328,597 times
The discussion is getting a little hysterical. The worst likely case is no big deal. Las Vegas is not like anywhere else. And even if the Raiders bomb or something it is unlikely to be a large problem. We might pick up a piece of it at some point but no one will notice.

And again it helps perfect the strip. The thing we all need most. Keep the Strip the best such place in the world. Now is we can just get Genting going or something done with the blue monster.

Old 01-20-2017, 08:00 PM

621 posts, read 538,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
The discussion is getting a little hysterical. The worst likely case is no big deal. Las Vegas is not like anywhere else. And even if the Raiders bomb or something it is unlikely to be a large problem. We might pick up a piece of it at some point but no one will notice.

And again it helps perfect the strip. The thing we all need most. Keep the Strip the best such place in the world. Now is we can just get Genting going or something done with the blue monster.
I've seen you say 'perfect the strip' very often. What do you think is the location that best perfects it?

Old 01-20-2017, 11:20 PM

529 posts, read 511,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post

This whole "Las Vegas is different" argument is absolutely ridiculous. Las Vegas would be by far the smallest NFL market. It isn't a stretch to think a team would bail early if things didn't go their way, especially with no investment of their own and no lease term in the law that discourages breaking it. If the team leaves, so do the investors. They wrote their exit plan right into the law.

The Raiders would come in at a disadvantage seen by no other NFL team in modern times. This includes the Jacksonville Jaguars expansion in 1995. That market was more than twice the size of Las Vegas 22 years ago and by any objective metric, it's been a complete failure. They tarp of 10k+ seats and still can't sell games out with a market that is 2.5 times what the Raiders would have here. The box office ails of that team make it play one game a year in London where they can at least get a sellout.

Property tax payers would get stuck with the bailout. It's in the law. That's why the bonds are GO and not solely based on the actual tax and performance. They are planning on a failure because they know how big this risk is.

I've only heard a few people make this "Las Vegas is different" argument. All fall into one of two categories:

1) Adelson's lobbyists in the Legislature and similar shills like the guy that doesn't post here anymore after being outed as a non-resident

2) People involved with real estate that hope they can benefit from the transaction or use it as a selling point in some other way

Which is it here? Do you have a relationship with Sands or are you involved with the real estate industry? I feel certain the answer is one or the other, even if you refuse to admit it.

Last edited by LasVegasPlayer; 01-20-2017 at 11:29 PM..

Old 01-20-2017, 11:28 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,274,398 times
The developers preferred location is on the southern portion of the Strip near Russel Rd and the two main vein hwy intersections. This one needs a study for roads and built up infrastructure for the stadium. It's also a smaller parcel of land to develop on. Something like 63 acres.

Their second preferred location is the Bali Hai Golf Club also in the same area but next to the airport which causes some restrictions for construction and concerns. This one also needs a study for roads and built up infrastructure for the stadium. Approval from the airport for where to build so it's not being affected or affecting flight paths. It's more property to build on, around 100 acres, but they'll only build the stadium and parking on 62 acres of it in the top North East portion of the property. With the rest of the acreage they could develop a strip mall and shops to patron the facility or leave it desolate. They're also negotiating a bargain on the property because the city owns the property and the guy who leases it is under federal charges and the business isn't doing so well so they're able to make a deal with him facing time.

The third location that is being pushed for is the city's preferred location which is the Cashman Center property because all the infrastructure for roads are built, or being worked on currently such as the Neon hwy, or have been studied and approved for future projects that will be done before the stadium is completed. This one will cost the city less because the supporting infrastructure is already built up around this facility and it won't take much more.

They looked at several other location but said that nearly all those locations are going to be more trouble than it's worth.

I think it should be on The Strip and impressively visible when you fly in, so one of the two southern locations. However, the city's preferred location makes a lot of sense to me too because the city will have hundreds of thousands in savings when they're already putting so much out there to bring them in and we'll have less traffic snarls. It will be a smoother process for all.

The other thing going for the southern locations is the Stadium will be shared with UNLV football so it makes more sense to be closer to the main campus.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:51 AM

27 posts, read 55,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LasVegasPlayer View Post
This whole "Las Vegas is different" argument is absolutely ridiculous. Las Vegas would be by far the smallest NFL market. It isn't a stretch to think a team would bail early if things didn't go their way, especially with no investment of their own and no lease term in the law that discourages breaking it. If the team leaves, so do the investors. They wrote their exit plan right into the law.

The Raiders would come in at a disadvantage seen by no other NFL team in modern times. This includes the Jacksonville Jaguars expansion in 1995. That market was more than twice the size of Las Vegas 22 years ago and by any objective metric, it's been a complete failure. They tarp of 10k+ seats and still can't sell games out with a market that is 2.5 times what the Raiders would have here. The box office ails of that team make it play one game a year in London where they can at least get a sellout.

Property tax payers would get stuck with the bailout. It's in the law. That's why the bonds are GO and not solely based on the actual tax and performance. They are planning on a failure because they know how big this risk is.

I've only heard a few people make this "Las Vegas is different" argument. All fall into one of two categories:

1) Adelson's lobbyists in the Legislature and similar shills like the guy that doesn't post here anymore after being outed as a non-resident

2) People involved with real estate that hope they can benefit from the transaction or use it as a selling point in some other way

Which is it here? Do you have a relationship with Sands or are you involved with the real estate industry? I feel certain the answer is one or the other, even if you refuse to admit it.
Las Vegas would be the NFL’s fifth-smallest media market | ProFootballTalk

The article above disagrees. There are risks but don't ignore the potential rewards at the same time.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:13 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,803,013 times
Do we, as taxpayers, get to vote on whether we want to chip in $750m?

Even though supply creates demand, I still feel like this is one huge gamble. I suppose we have a reputation to uphold

Old 01-21-2017, 08:59 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,026,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Do we, as taxpayers, get to vote on whether we want to chip in $750m
No. You vote for your representatives.

Old 01-21-2017, 10:38 AM

265 posts, read 204,528 times
It looks more likely than ever that this is going to happen. Here's some further analysis:

http://www.cyinterview.com/2017/01/raiders-to-vegas-chris-yandek-breaks-it-down-for-us
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas