Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 04:15 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times

Advertisements

I never fully believe the crime statistics reported by police departments. They are often manipulated to make a department look good, especially in an election year. The only statistic I trust is the murder rate, because the police department can't ignore a dead body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2016, 04:34 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
Maybe it's all the spelling errors driving the increased violence?

Old 05-14-2016, 01:47 AM

34 posts, read 35,019 times
Empathy and respect are luxuries of an enlightened civilization. An increasing number of people are being priced out of a dignified place in society. Old jobs disappear, unemployment insurance runs out, and new jobs (if available at all) don't pay enough to survive on. Desperate people do desperate things. Lack of basic needs turns us selfish and vengeful. Snowball effect ensues.
The computer/artificial-intelligence/robotics revolution will rapidly exacerbate this problem, until we realign our antiquated economic model with the reality that technology has already progressed past the point where there's not enough necessary work for everyone to fill 40 hours a week, and there's even a limit to how many bull**** jobs we can pretend are necessary.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:53 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,335,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSelene View Post
Empathy and respect are luxuries of an enlightened civilization. An increasing number of people are being priced out of a dignified place in society. Old jobs disappear, unemployment insurance runs out, and new jobs (if available at all) don't pay enough to survive on. Desperate people do desperate things. Lack of basic needs turns us selfish and vengeful. Snowball effect ensues.
The computer/artificial-intelligence/robotics revolution will rapidly exacerbate this problem, until we realign our antiquated economic model with the reality that technology has already progressed past the point where there's not enough necessary work for everyone to fill 40 hours a week, and there's even a limit to how many bull**** jobs we can pretend are necessary.
All true and likely to have a significant impact on our society over the next decades.

It would not appear relevant to a very large change in murder rates occurring in a short period in multiple cities.

Old 05-14-2016, 11:02 AM

15,825 posts, read 14,463,105 times
To some extent I can believe this. But I think murder statistics are fairly accurate. It's fairly hard to mischaracterize a murder as something else, and the bodies are easy to count.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I never fully believe the crime statistics reported by police departments. They are often manipulated to make a department look good, especially in an election year. The only statistic I trust is the murder rate, because the police department can't ignore a dead body.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:29 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
There was a fatal stabbing in my old apartment complex. Glad I don't live there anymore. I swam in that pool all summer when I lived there.

Man dead in shooting near Nellis, Vegas Valley - Story

Old 05-17-2016, 01:14 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
It's road rage because Tropicana, Flamingo, and Russell Road are all under major construction at the same time. And they have the freeways jacked up too.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:59 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
It will always be a mystery to me, why, during the worst of the recession, the crime rate was so low, when you'd expect it to be the highest. The economy improves, and the crime rate goes up!

During the worst of the Great Recession, when I'd even see people sleeping in their cars in my neighborhood on my late night walks, I expected my home to be invaded any minute, or my car stolen, or mugged while taking a 3am walk with my ferret, and? Mystery of mysteries!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:35 AM

15,825 posts, read 14,463,105 times
^
Because it's usually factors other than economics that drive crime, especially violent crime.

Old 05-20-2016, 02:05 PM

34 posts, read 35,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
It will always be a mystery to me, why, during the worst of the recession, the crime rate was so low, when you'd expect it to be the highest. The economy improves, and the crime rate goes up!
It's a delayed consequence. When people lose their income, first they eat through their savings and equity, then go into debt, then unemployment benefits run out, then end up in crappy replacement jobs that don't even pay enough to be called subsistence wages. Then the trouble begins. 2008's 12-year-olds are 20 now. Imagine what their formative years have been like for so many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: