Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 03:27 PM

670 posts, read 1,104,658 times

Advertisements

Pool owners, I'd love to hear comments and recommendations for pool sanitation methods.

Right now I use liquid Chlorine. It's fine in the winter but I use quite a bit of it in the summer. It's a pain to purchase a bunch of one gallon chlorine containers and, wasteful to throw them all out. I have a separate trash can for gallon jugs every other week in the summer.

So, I'm researching more effective alternative methods to just chlorine to keep the pool clean and sanitized. There's salt systems, ozone, ionizers, bromine, etc.

My pool/spa is about 20,000 gallons with a large waterfall (we never use but someday would like to start).

What methods work best here in Vegas considering the high temps and concentration of sun in the summer time?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 03:30 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Salt disinfection system Saltwater Chlorination | SwimmingPool.com

Old 05-21-2016, 03:49 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
These are amazing and great to swim in, like soft water. HOWEVER, the cells are very expensive and because of the hard water here they don't last as long as they are supposed to. I had one but I can't afford $1500 or so to replace it every other year so I went back to the chlorine pucks.

I know someone who uses plain old bleach from the dollar store and swears it works great. After all it's the same stuff! But I have never tried it.

Old 05-21-2016, 03:55 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,442,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
These are amazing and great to swim in, like soft water. HOWEVER, the cells are very expensive and because of the hard water here they don't last as long as they are supposed to. I had one but I can't afford $1500 or so to replace it every other year so I went back to the chlorine pucks.

I know someone who uses plain old bleach from the dollar store and swears it works great. After all it's the same stuff! But I have never tried it.
You can buy a complete system for less than $1500, cell its self are around $250. Hayward Swim Pure Plus Salt System for Pools - Doheny's

Old 05-21-2016, 04:06 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,712,823 times
Have you heard of the Chorine Genie? Chlorine Genie Inc. The Ultimate Pool Chlorinator I think its the best way to chlorinate a pool, but its not the cheapest. I use tabs in the warm months with some liquid chlorine. Colder months I only use liquid chlorine and it seems to be the cheapest way. I do not heat my pool and my water stays around 84 in the hottest months.

Some people have solar or use the heater and have a heavy bather load. Some pools have a lot of organics in the pool (a lot of leaves, dirt and organic debris) and this contributes to a lot of problems with water chemistry. Not all pools are the same and some are very difficult to take care of because of a number of factors.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

Bleach is the same chemical as liquid chlorine. The only difference is regular bleach is usually only 3% chlorine and ultra bleach is 6%. Good quality liquid chlorine is 10-12% so you get more in a gallon that you do bleach. Make sure you buy fresh because they do loose strength once it is put under direct sunlight.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtvette View Post
Pool owners, I'd love to hear comments and recommendations for pool sanitation methods.

Right now I use liquid Chlorine. It's fine in the winter but I use quite a bit of it in the summer. It's a pain to purchase a bunch of one gallon chlorine containers and, wasteful to throw them all out. I have a separate trash can for gallon jugs every other week in the summer.

So, I'm researching more effective alternative methods to just chlorine to keep the pool clean and sanitized. There's salt systems, ozone, ionizers, bromine, etc.

My pool/spa is about 20,000 gallons with a large waterfall (we never use but someday would like to start).

What methods work best here in Vegas considering the high temps and concentration of sun in the summer time?

Thanks,
Since you do have a large pool and you get a lot of organic debris in your pool you can use tablets in the warm months and add liquid chlorine to bump it up to desired levels (prob 3ppm free chlor). This will reduce your consumption of liquid chlorine. The only problem you will have is you will increase your CYA by using the tabs and when you creep up to the 100PPM area then you have to dilute you water. You can add a backwash valve (via wasteline) to your pool and control your total CYA by Vacuuming to waste once a week in the months you use the tablets. This would probably be the cheapest method IMO.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:33 PM

848 posts, read 648,085 times
I maintain my pool myself and use the Hayward Goldline salt chlorinator with the T-15 cell which is supposed to be for use with pools that have up to 40,000 gallons of water. My model came with a three-year warranty. Hayward's service has been quite good. Due to improper maintenance from the pool service company I used to employ, the cell had been damaged, and I was getting incorrect salt readings last year. I called Hayward, and they gave me the information to go and get a new salt cell right away. Now that I am maintaining the system, the salt numbers on the display match the pool store's salt meter as well as a digital salt meter I purchased. You should definitely have your own salt meter to periodically check the readings on the unit if you go with a salt chlorinator. I like salt chlorination and recommend the Hayward Goldline system I am using. In addition, once you figure out the right percentage of time to chlorinate your pool during each three-hour cycle the system runs, your chlorine numbers should be quite stable throughout the summer. At least that has been my experience.

Old 05-21-2016, 04:43 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,806,957 times
I'd probably go with a SWG, seem to be the easiest way and probably better for your skin/eyes.... but not sure about if the salt will kill pool components quicker... someone will need to chime in

i maintain my pool myself and add liquid bleach. yes it's a pain, but i have recently purchased a solar cover which should help limit chlorine evaporation a little... we'll see

Old 05-21-2016, 04:47 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
You can buy a complete system for less than $1500, cell its self are around $250. Hayward Swim Pure Plus Salt System for Pools - Doheny's
Wow! The cells have come down in price! I will investigate this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: