Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 05:56 PM

621 posts, read 538,163 times

Advertisements

Looks like June 22nd is the date the NHL plans to announce whether or not an expansion team will be awarded for the 2017-18 season. They would be foolish to deny Foley and his team. It's $500 million free for the other 30 teams and adds a team out west where they really need one. I feel like it's a pretty sure thing. Anyone else disagree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 11,875,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpypotpie View Post
Looks like June 22nd is the date the NHL plans to announce whether or not an expansion team will be awarded for the 2017-18 season. They would be foolish to deny Foley and his team. It's $500 million free for the other 30 teams and adds a team out west where they really need one. I feel like it's a pretty sure thing. Anyone else disagree?
I could see them delaying a year or even two, but it seems like eventually it will happen.

Old 05-31-2016, 06:43 PM

98 posts, read 132,756 times
NHL? What about the NFL!!!!!!! DA RAIDERSSSSSSSSS

Old 05-31-2016, 06:51 PM

185 posts, read 173,945 times
Raiders and a hockey team is deff needed .

Old 05-31-2016, 07:30 PM

792 posts, read 1,301,383 times
I don't think either the NFL or NHL will drop a team in Vegas at this time. Previous semi pro teams all seem to fail (51's excepted). The town is still very transient...people work all kinds of shifts, most visitors don't necessarily come to town to spend time in a sports arena, especially if they have one back home....and quite frankly, I do not believe this local economy could support it.

It seems a large majority of incoming are seeking cheap housing, cheap food, and low taxes...that mindset does not exactly fit with a pro franchise....I could be wrong...but I don't think so !

Old 05-31-2016, 08:00 PM

59 posts, read 68,561 times
I don't think that they'll announce Vegas won't get in team while they are actually in Vegas. I think they are purposely holding off to make it somewhat of an eventful announcement. My money is on Vegas getting the green light, and Quebec City will be put on the waiting list

Old 05-31-2016, 08:21 PM

107 posts, read 149,252 times
I thought I heard Gary Bettman (commissioner of the NHL) on the radio over the weekend saying they are looking at one, two or no expansion teams at this time. Not sure where or even when (2018?).

If there are two teams, I think a Canadian team (possibly Quebec City) would be a good bet.

Las Vegas would be a good fit with the teams in the West: Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and Arizona Coyotes.

Woow. I might get into hockey, again.

Should be interesting.

guy

Last edited by Bart9399; 05-31-2016 at 08:59 PM..

Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart9399 View Post
I thought I heard Gary Bettman (commissioner of the NHL) on the radio over the weekend saying they are looking at one, two or no expansion teams at this time. Not sure where or even when (2018?).

If there are two teams, I think a Canadian team (possibly Quebec City) would be a good bet.

Las Vegas would be a good fit with the teams in the West: Los Angeles Kings, Anaheim Ducks and Arizona Coyotes.

Woow. I might get into hockey, again.

Should be interesting.

guy
I suspect they will only bring Vegas on this year. The Canadian dollar is very weak right now. If they do decide to award a team to Quebec City, someone is going to have to realign to the Western conference. My bet is Detroit or Columbus.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:22 AM

6,744 posts, read 3,360,889 times
I follow the NHL closely and to be honest, I'm not sure about Vegas. Yes, there is the money, but long-term viability is questionable. Just look at Phoenix. That franchise is swirling in the bowl. I don't think Vegas would have the attendance to support a team.

They have talked about moving the teams in Carolina and Florida (Panthers), and even St. Louis was discussed. Just not enough revenue to support a $70+ million (salary cap) payroll. The minimum is around $50+ million and even that is a tough nut to crack when there aren't enough fans going to the games.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
I follow the NHL closely and to be honest, I'm not sure about Vegas. Yes, there is the money, but long-term viability is questionable. Just look at Phoenix. That franchise is swirling in the bowl. I don't think Vegas would have the attendance to support a team.

They have talked about moving the teams in Carolina and Florida (Panthers), and even St. Louis was discussed. Just not enough revenue to support a $70+ million (salary cap) payroll. The minimum is around $50+ million and even that is a tough nut to crack when there aren't enough fans going to the games.
Vegas is completely a different animal than Arizona. If you have ever been to the arena in Glendale, they built it so far away from the city's fan-base. People don't want to suffer through 2 hours of traffic to attend a game 2 or 3 times a week. When they move that team to the downtown arena they are discussing, the Coyotes attendance will tick up. Especially now that they have a lot of young exciting players.

That will be the biggest challenge for a team in Las Vegas. How long does it take for them to be competitive. The league honchos have stated that they will set the expansion draft up in such a way as to make the team very competitive in short order. Vegas also has the benefit of having people visiting constantly. Out of the approximately 750,000 visitors every week, if only .5% of them buy/get comped a ticket, that fills close to 19% of the arena.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas