Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:33 PM

53 posts, read 60,568 times

Advertisements

Aren't upstairs units supposed to be carpeted other than kitchens, bathrooms and laundry specifically to avoid ths type of issue?
The problem seems to be often caused when people decide to install tile and other hard flooring on upstairs units and then these hard surfaces amplify the noise and vibration from normal walking around your apartment or condo.
Carpet and carpet padding should absorb most normal walking noises.

If the floorboards are creaking abnormally even under carpeting and padding, the landlord should fix the bad floor boards, if the noise is normal footsteps noise muffled by carpet and padding, the downstairs tenant will need to live with it or move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 08:10 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,029,490 times
Quote:
I realized that I am in a potentially dangerous situation in the future
This isn't a noisy floors problem. This is a psychopath neighbor problem. Tell him to get lost and call the police if he threatens you.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,290 times
Condo unit above mine had wood floors, complained for many years with the association and it took many years for the wood floors to be covered with carpet. Investor owner left the kitchen and dining room with wood floors, still made noise, I complained and complained and finally last year the investor owner installed linoleum, (linoleum pattern looks like wood floor) Investor owner thought I wont pay attention trying to cover up his violations. He thinks he can use the excuse that it has been linoleum flooring all these years, it just looks like "wood" argument. I personally went upstairs and watched. The workers just placed the linoleum on top of the wood floors.

He had violations after violations, his tenants are not any better, drug users. Police dont care and the association dont care.

Investors ruined Las Vegas and continue to ruin Las Vegas. I've spoken to many people including commissioners and one of them agreed, investors for the most part has ruined Clark County, NV housing. They've taken over many of the SFRs, condos, townhomes... and rent them out. In my building alone, 3 out 4 are investor owned, luckily the 2 neighbors I have at the moment are decent, only one is rotten, whole community is not any better.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:14 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,316,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom12 View Post
... The night the second incident occurred I was not overly concerned but since I have had time to think about it I realized that I am in a potentially dangerous situation in the future since the tenant does not like me walking in my apartment which is something I cannot stop doing. The young man that came to my door was obviously very upset and I think if another incident occurs things could get violent ...
You know, there's no law that says a person has to answer a door someone's knocking on. Unless you are expecting a guest, don't answer your door. Tell your friends to call from the parking lot when they're on their way to your place. And if they're knocking in an angry way, stay away from the door. You've reported the problem to management. That's all you can do. Good luck.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:12 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
I know the a developer for PokémonGo. I can have him plant a Pikachu in your downstairs neighbor's apartment, if you want.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:44 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,683 times
I know this is a crazy idea but you could calmly stop by one day and let downstairs folks know that you took them seriously and spoke to office.
I am guessing you have some kind of paperwork to show them?

Then you could go on VERY politely that you have TRIED to do all YOU can and if the problem continues PLEASE fell free to contact the office as there is nothing further you can do.

Admit this must suck for everyone and help them work towards getting it fixed if it is even possible.

Then things can improve ..you might even make a friend...but of course that is just a crazy suggestion like I said.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:09 PM

15 posts, read 21,325 times
I will never answer my door again. I submitted my maintenance request a little over a week ago and still no one has come to try and fix my floors and I doubt they will ever come. If another incident occurs I will call the police so I have the report to give to the complex. I am so glad I only signed a 6 month lease as I will be moving out regardless if another incident occurs. I am looking at renting a house and if another incident occurs I will have the police report, the prior history of incidents, the maintenance request, the lack of action by the complex, and will try to break my lease.

As far as talking to the other tenant, I am not interested in doing that as the guy thinks I am guilty regardless of the facts and was already hostile towards me.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:54 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
What am I, chopped liver? Go get this kit and be done with this problem forever... no need to move. Everybody's happy:
Quiet Squeaky Carpeted Floors with This Kit

Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtom12 View Post
I will never answer my door again. I submitted my maintenance request a little over a week ago and still no one has come to try and fix my floors and I doubt they will ever come. If another incident occurs I will call the police so I have the report to give to the complex. I am so glad I only signed a 6 month lease as I will be moving out regardless if another incident occurs. I am looking at renting a house and if another incident occurs I will have the police report, the prior history of incidents, the maintenance request, the lack of action by the complex, and will try to break my lease.

As far as talking to the other tenant, I am not interested in doing that as the guy thinks I am guilty regardless of the facts and was already hostile towards me.
just curious...are you a millennial?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:39 PM

4,539 posts, read 12,401,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
I'd definitely put a request for maintenance in writing, and even share it with your neighbor, perhaps even have her sign it, since it's her problem. It's not your fault the floors transmit noise/creak. I'd tell the neighbor that while you won't be having any dance parties, you won't be "tiptoe-ing" around your home.
OP, if it weren't for the second interaction being so hostile, I think Beachhead had a good idea here. His idea would have enlisted your downstairs neighbors into a joint cause with you 'against' management (though you don't have to be nasty to management). Potentially, it could have turned them into your allies. Even if the problem proved unsolvable, they would know that you listened to them, took the issue seriously, and tried as hard as was practicable to resolve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: