Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support public financing to build a stadium for the Raiders
Yes 33 27.05%
No 89 72.95%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 03:24 PM

15,826 posts, read 14,463,105 times

Advertisements

This has been discussed somewhat to death, but it might be interesting to see what the numbers look like. So, would you support the use of tax money to finance the construction of a stadium for the Raiders?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 03:29 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,112,421 times
Would this stadium lead to over 750,000,000 in taxes for Clark County? Not likely. Based on that, I say no.

However, I would like to be paid to build it. Based on that I say yes.

I believe that our addiction to sportsball is extremely dangerous and is a huge part of the reason we're not making any scientific contributions to the world and lagging behind everyone else. Based on this I say no.

However, the quicker "Rome" burns, the quicker something better will take it's place. Based on that I say yes.

50/50 is my official position.

It doesn't matter, the right people were paid the right amount, so it will be built no matter how much we the people object.

Definitely need a 3rd option in that poll.

Last edited by EA; 07-10-2016 at 03:40 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 03:40 PM

799 posts, read 707,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
It doesn't matter, the right people were paid the right amount, so it will be built no matter how much we the people object.
"game over"

Sorry, couldn't resist

But my worthless opinion is no friggin' way should this, or any palace for billionaires to conduct business should be built via any sort of public fleecing...errrr...financing, even if you're fleecing the tourists.

If the boys who own the NFL want a stadium in Las Vegas, great, let them pay to build it. Then they can rent it out for all the other wonderful things it can be used for. If it's such a great thing, then they need to take the risk. Capitalism, it's a wonderful thing, they need to try it sometime.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:26 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,959,482 times
If public funded cap ticket and concession prices for locals for a certain number of years.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:43 AM

555 posts, read 1,258,729 times
Seems like we are having a major league sports invasion. Hockey, baseball, football. All good, but will all these teams be supported by the locals, some of which are die hard fans of their {back home} teams?

Even though I enjoy sports of all types, I would think public money would be better spent on the children of Las Vegas, in improving our school system, paying our teachers a little better, building new schools to support the ever increasing population and improving older school buildings that need repair and updates.

Also, public money would also help improving and adding Veterans facilities and also improving and increasing our Mental Health facilities across the valley, that is needed so badly.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:21 AM

111 posts, read 139,359 times
I'm all for the city helping to finance the stadium by giving $750 million or whatever it is as long as the city holds the equivalent percentage stake in the property. Since they are just financing the stadium, the team can either trade a stake in the team (with profits going back to the city) for free use of the stadium or they can just pay rent and the city will collect payments on this along with rent from concerts and other events that are not on every other Sunday.

I wholeheartedly do not support the city using tax payer funds to give to one individual or a family so that they can use that money to make money for themselves. I would only support this if I was the one receiving the money. Heck, who doesn't want free stuff?

Old 07-12-2016, 01:51 AM

452 posts, read 336,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchen Witch View Post
Seems like we are having a major league sports invasion. Hockey, baseball, football. All good, but will all these teams be supported by the locals, some of which are die hard fans of their {back home} teams?

Even though I enjoy sports of all types, I would think public money would be better spent on the children of Las Vegas, in improving our school system, paying our teachers a little better, building new schools to support the ever increasing population and improving older school buildings that need repair and updates.

Also, public money would also help improving and adding Veterans facilities and also improving and increasing our Mental Health facilities across the valley, that is needed so badly.
Come on you and I and the rest of Vegas knows they will never raise the tourist tax to put into schools. Having a NFL team here along with an NHL team will do more to help the schools and after school programs than the city will ever do.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:26 AM

399 posts, read 693,578 times
The public should help finance the stadium as it will be UNLV's stadium too and UNLV is not owned by billionaires. Taxpayers shouldn't pay the majority of the cost, but a reasonable portion - $300 million or so, seems fair since UNLV will benefit. Room taxes or some other tax on tourists should pay the public shares, but no Personal Seat Licenses!

Old 07-12-2016, 02:00 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
yes of course, gotta spend money to make money

Old 07-12-2016, 02:08 PM

529 posts, read 512,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWNLV View Post
The public should help finance the stadium as it will be UNLV's stadium too and UNLV is not owned by billionaires. Taxpayers shouldn't pay the majority of the cost, but a reasonable portion - $300 million or so, seems fair since UNLV will benefit. Room taxes or some other tax on tourists should pay the public shares, but no Personal Seat Licenses!
I agree with this sentiment. We were going to spend about $250m to replace Sam Boyd. I'm OK with that amount going into the pool if UNLV gets to use the facility. Unfortunately, the current plan is about $1b more than that when the tax district is considered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas