Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 02:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,239,269 times

Advertisements

I can't believe the Mt Charleston fire was 3 years ago.
We don't get that many fires in the state. We do get the smoke from fires in California, Arizona, Utah and sometimes Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 10:56 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
I was in the air over LA the other day and the smoke was dramatic. You could see the fires. It looked pretty bad even from that high up!

Old 07-28-2016, 06:22 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,902,251 times
I think they said 36,000 acres burned so far.

Old 07-28-2016, 07:53 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,826,471 times
I've always been amazed at the way Mexico deals with wild fires in Baja California.

When a wildfire starts in Baja California, I'm told they don't try to put it out. They let nature take its course. The fire burns itself out. There is less fuel in the form of brush & trees the next year. As a result, any individual wildfire is never as dramatic as the California fires.

This contrasts with California and the USA in general where we go to extreme lengths fighting wildfires. The result is more fuel in the form of brush & trees... and then when lightening inevitably strikes....

Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 PM

23,143 posts, read 28,910,546 times
Like I posted earlier, Mexico builds their houses, apartment buildings, motels out of concrete, so that makes a big difference, minimizing the effect of brush/forest fires.

When I had a house designed for me in Rosarito by Arquimex, every part of that house, including the roof, was to be all concrete. And would I have worried about a brush fire consuming that home?

Old 07-29-2016, 01:09 PM

21 posts, read 17,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Wow. It is so smokey. And I don't mean Smokey Robinson.

I wish Nevada could sue California for causing all this air pollution. (Causing, as in California consciously engages in forest management -- or the lack thereof -- which increases the likelihood of wildfires that affect our air quality.)
I am here in Southern California and I can tell you first hand that this isn't a 'California' thing. This is straight mother nature and there is NOTHING that can be done about it. Sure, you can try to preach all the fire prevention you want, run all the commercials you want, post electronic reminders to be safe on the freeway message signs, but it doesn't stop a thing. This state is in such a horrible drought, combined with the mountain canvasses being so hot and dry, the common heatwave that passes through is enough to spark a fire up in the hills. Then you take the coastal winds from the ocean to blow it all over the place (including into Nevada) and before you know it 10,000 acres is burned down. This happens every year, up and down the coast, many times with multiple fires burning at the same time. This is why it's called 'fire season'. I can hardly get an insurance carrier to sell me homeowner insurance because I live in a high risk area for fires. If we could regulate it anymore than we currently do, then we would. If we could magically make earthquakes stop, we would. If we could end our historic drought, we would. All of this is a small part of the reason I'm getting the heck out of California!

Old 07-29-2016, 03:26 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,418,305 times
Concrete doesn't generally hold up as well as other construction materials in Earthquakes (something else that California is famous for).

Old 07-29-2016, 06:48 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,902,251 times
Mexico may not have the resources to deal with a major brush fire, so have no choice but to let it burn. If we allowed fires to burn themselves out, it would cause even worse erosion and pollution issues not to mention place more homes in danger of burning.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:34 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,826,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skugelstadt View Post
Mexico may not have the resources to deal with a major brush fire, so have no choice but to let it burn. If we allowed fires to burn themselves out, it would cause even worse erosion and pollution issues not to mention place more homes in danger of burning.
Yeah, that's the working hypothesis that has led to extreme measures to put out fires rather than let themselves burn out as they do in Baja. Yet in Baja, they don't seem to have the forecasted worse erosion & pollution. That begs the question: what would happen in CA if they adopted Baja's strategy.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:38 AM

137 posts, read 109,192 times
So is this smoke bad enough to ruin a vacation ? This thread seems like you can't even see the beautiful mountains or the sun it's just a gloomy smoke ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas