Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:59 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Yes, I got one a few days ago for a TV in a spare bedroom. You'll get a few more channels, but nothing to get excited about.

As EA said, your DVR (or any other box) will be unaffected and should work just fine. For emphasis, you only will need one of these new mini boxes for those TVs that don't have any box now.

No, they are not. The mini boxes are not part of nor do they have anything to do with any DVR/Contour setup. Unlike today, where you don't need any box to watch basic cable, you will need one of these mini boxes sometime next month. The days of coaxial cable coming from the wall directly to the back of your TV for basic cable will be gone very soon.
But my DVR is attached to the cable. Will I need a new one? Is this like having a cell phone connection to your TV?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
you can no longer get a signal straight from a coaxial connection; you need a mini box ($2.99 a month) for EACH tv that you had connected directly to a coaxial plug (with no digital receiver).

I'm curious if this will broadcast HD quality for non-local channels ?
Can you purchase your own, say from Amazon?

Old 08-02-2016, 12:04 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
But my DVR is attached to the cable. Will I need a new one? Is this like having a cell phone connection to your TV?

No, your dvr is already a digital convertor. It will continue working as is. The new box is for people without boxes.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:47 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,286,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
Contour boxes are super sensitive and problematic. They need perfect signal to function properly and most houses don't have perfect signal. The record 2 boxes tend to do a bit better than the record 6 boxes but both are constant headaches.

Pixelation of higher or lower channels is a signal issue. Sounds like your house and or street needs rewired. (could be as simple as a bad fitting or all the wiring in the house)

Another thing that can be causing issues is your old tv sending voltage back through the line. That will actually screw up the cable of everyone else attached to your tap in the street.
My old TV upstairs I rarely use. It's the downstairs main TV, with the contour box that is the problem. The TV downstairs is not that old. It's HD, circa sometime around 2010 I think.
This all didn't start happening until we brought home the Contour box and plugged it in. The old Scientific one did not have all of these constant problems. I want that one back.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:16 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
What I mean is that old tv can be putting voltage into the line and messing up the entire block. Try unplugging the old tv for a while and see if the problem goes away or lessens. The old tv does not need to be on to send voltage through the cable.

Old 08-02-2016, 12:14 PM

359 posts, read 361,480 times
i have a question currently have direct for tv and cox for cable one tv gets cox...if i have someone get me a box will i still get cox next month? for 3 bucks a month it would be worth it

Old 08-02-2016, 08:27 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
Hey everyone...I posted on here a couple years ago about moving to Vegas and it looks like it's finally happening. We will be moving there mid September. I'm going to apologize now if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about regarding cable because I don't. This post caught my eye because I work from home for an insurance company and from what I understand, my computer HAS to be connected to a hard wired cable connection due to the phone being VOIP? Should I worry about this? Not that I need one more thing to worry about, but I need to have all my ducks in a row.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:33 PM

452 posts, read 336,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irisheyzs View Post
Hey everyone...I posted on here a couple years ago about moving to Vegas and it looks like it's finally happening. We will be moving there mid September. I'm going to apologize now if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about regarding cable because I don't. This post caught my eye because I work from home for an insurance company and from what I understand, my computer HAS to be connected to a hard wired cable connection due to the phone being VOIP? Should I worry about this? Not that I need one more thing to worry about, but I need to have all my ducks in a row.
You won't have to worry about anything. This is a change for the TV side of things nothing on the internet side will be changed.

Old 08-02-2016, 08:48 PM

236 posts, read 405,929 times
Thanks calisoccer99...my heart stopped for a minute!

Old 08-03-2016, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
No, your dvr is already a digital convertor. It will continue working as is. The new box is for people without boxes.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas