Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 03:26 PM

327 posts, read 446,350 times

Advertisements

I need knee replacements and would like to get them both done at the same time.

Don't have time to recover from two consecutive operations. Friend in NYC hospital orthopedics unit has recommended this, since you go to rehab (with supervised, scheduled exercises) straight from the hospital and total recovery time is much shorter.

Time is the main consideration. Also, I'm afraid if I get one done, I won't have the nerve to get the second one done Hear it's no picnic.

So far the doctors I have called (who take my insurance) will only do them with a three month break between (time varies).

Any poor soul who has had this operation done here in Las Vegas care to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 03:58 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
I don't know for sure, but try Dr. Bernard Ong. Bernard Ong, MD

Old 08-05-2016, 04:24 PM

Default Thank you

Thank you. I'll give him a call.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:54 AM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Are you sure you even need it?

Old 08-06-2016, 08:02 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post
I need knee replacements and would like to get them both done at the same time.

Don't have time to recover from two consecutive operations. Friend in NYC hospital orthopedics unit has recommended this, since you go to rehab (with supervised, scheduled exercises) straight from the hospital and total recovery time is much shorter.

Time is the main consideration. Also, I'm afraid if I get one done, I won't have the nerve to get the second one done Hear it's no picnic.

So far the doctors I have called (who take my insurance) will only do them with a three month break between (time varies).

Any poor soul who has had this operation done here in Las Vegas care to share?
What insurance do you have?

Sometimes, they will not do things like that for HMO patients because of financial considerations. It sounds to me though, like the doctors you've spoken with want a three month gap for reasons of patient safety.

Old 08-06-2016, 10:44 AM

Default Definitely

Quote:
Originally Posted by winter-rabbit View Post
Are you sure you even need it?
Definitely. I had an accident about nine years ago, really wracked up my right knee and the other was also hurt, but not as badly. Over the years it's degenerated. I've tried various glucosamine and chondroitin formulas (gave them more than enough time to work), gelatin, steroid shots (they didn't even last a week.)

Don't want to, looks like I'll have to.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:17 AM

Default MGM Direct Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
What insurance do you have?

Sometimes, they will not do things like that for HMO patients because of financial considerations. It sounds to me though, like the doctors you've spoken with want a three month gap for reasons of patient safety.
That's exactly what they said - too much of a risk. From what I've read, to get both done at the same time is cheaper.

I have a PPO - MGM Direct Care (Sierra). It's been great.

I am in the middle of getting cataracts removed. $50 co-pay for each surgery. Lots of eye drops involved (three types - $5 each except for one that is $100.) When I arrived at the surgery place they told me I might not be covered for a $1,000+ stent I needed for one eye, sign here to guarantee you'll pay it if the insurance doesn't. The doctor's office told me it might not be covered. I signed. Just got a letter from the PPO. They agree it was medically necessary, no final judgment made yet if they'll pay.

It was a piece of cake. I knew my sight was bad, but I'm shocked at the difference between each eye. After Monday (when I have the other one done) I won't have to wear glasses at all.

So that's a little info for those needing cataract surgery. (Highly recommend Dr. Peter DeBry, Nevada Eye Surgery.)

Old 08-06-2016, 12:57 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
Sounds like it's a best practice to wait between surgeries. If a mistake gets made, or a post-op infection were to occur... Well, you get the picture.

Best of luck to you. I worked with a gal that had knee replacement, and it wasn't nearly as bad as she expected.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:18 PM

Default Good to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Sounds like it's a best practice to wait between surgeries. If a mistake gets made, or a post-op infection were to occur... Well, you get the picture.

Best of luck to you. I worked with a gal that had knee replacement, and it wasn't nearly as bad as she expected.
Thank you. That is really, really good to hear.

I try to be unemotional about decisions like this; what other choice do I have? And it's great that I have good coverage in these times, and all this stuff is fixable. I have also realized what a big chickensh!t I am , hee hee.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:22 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,679,690 times
I have talked to many folks who thought they needed surgery. I helped them adjust the way they walked and they avoided big surgery.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: