Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 07:17 PM

186 posts, read 434,393 times

Advertisements

We are closing soon on a house that has a dirt backyard. We don't have the funds to landscape it for a year or 2. In the meantime, I'd hate for my kids & dogs (and wind) to be bringing all that dirt into the house. I know I don't want just rock back there. And I really, really hope that there wasn't bermuda grass back there that will come back to plague me.

Question is, what can I put back there that will last me a year or so, and not be a PITA to remove when the time comes? I was thinking a couple inches of wood mulch, but the someone told me that would bring termites and other critters. Not sure if that's true, but haven't had a chance to get to a landscape company to ask or get other ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2016, 08:23 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
Fake grass or pea gravel

Old 08-10-2016, 08:40 PM

555 posts, read 775,684 times
outdoor rug with a faux grass look. similiar to this
Ottomanson Evergreen Collection Green Artificial Grass Design Area Rug (6'7 x 9'3) - 17511337 - Overstock.com Shopping - Great Deals on 7x9 - 10x14 Rugs

Old 08-10-2016, 09:18 PM

2,557 posts, read 4,569,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13blackcats View Post
We are closing soon on a house that has a dirt backyard. We don't have the funds to landscape it for a year or 2. In the meantime, I'd hate for my kids & dogs (and wind) to be bringing all that dirt into the house. I know I don't want just rock back there. And I really, really hope that there wasn't bermuda grass back there that will come back to plague me.

Question is, what can I put back there that will last me a year or so, and not be a PITA to remove when the time comes? I was thinking a couple inches of wood mulch, but the someone told me that would bring termites and other critters. Not sure if that's true, but haven't had a chance to get to a landscape company to ask or get other ideas.
Use cedar mulch. It repels insects. Some nice plants can be had pretty cheap too. I've got over a dozen drought tolerant non toxic plants in the backyard. Not a single one cost me more than $20. The vitex/chaste tree is great.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:15 AM

Thanks! I think I'll look at the cedar mulch. I worry that the pea gravel will be a PITA to get rid of (not part of the long-term plan) and the fake grass & outdoor rugs would be too much $$.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:46 AM

561 posts, read 681,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unf0rgiven6262 View Post
Use cedar mulch. It repels insects. Some nice plants can be had pretty cheap too. I've got over a dozen drought tolerant non toxic plants in the backyard. Not a single one cost me more than $20. The vitex/chaste tree is great.
Not very well, it doesn't. I've got cedar mulch surrounding my peach tree. Ants, pillbugs, and other critters have zero problem with it. But I still plan on removing the gravel in the backyard and replacing it with more mulch. To me, it looks far, far better to have mulch and paving stones than ugly rocks.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:51 AM

9,885 posts, read 7,220,605 times
Have you considered getting some annual rye grass seed and spreading it? It's a quick growing grass that will look good all winter and will then die next summer.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Have you considered getting some annual rye grass seed and spreading it? It's a quick growing grass that will look good all winter and will then die next summer.
I haven't, I'll look into that thanks!

Old 08-11-2016, 12:39 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,125,198 times
The dogs will drag in more mess with the cedar mulch than they will with the heavy clay soil, I'd bet.

My house was new construction, so of course dirt yard, and we didn't have the money for landscaping for the first couple of years. Other than the fine layer of dust which is pretty much endemic to Vegas anyway, I don't remember the kids or dogs tracking much dirt into the house.

That said, my soil was native clay. You expressed a worry about Bermuda grass. If you are moving into a home where someone may have amended the soil, you might get some tracking for sure. After I put in the landscaping, the dogs started loving to dig.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
The dogs will drag in more mess with the cedar mulch than they will with the heavy clay soil, I'd bet.

My house was new construction, so of course dirt yard, and we didn't have the money for landscaping for the first couple of years. Other than the fine layer of dust which is pretty much endemic to Vegas anyway, I don't remember the kids or dogs tracking much dirt into the house.

That said, my soil was native clay. You expressed a worry about Bermuda grass. If you are moving into a home where someone may have amended the soil, you might get some tracking for sure. After I put in the landscaping, the dogs started loving to dig.
Yes, my dog already loves to dig :P We're planning a largish dog run for them. The house we rented previous to this one had a dirt backyard where whatever had been there previously had died (like the house we're buying). The dirt that drifted into the house was AWFUL. And the dogs were always coated in it after being outside for a bit. My older boy has been to daycares & schools with playgrounds that used wood mulches. Also not fun. Little bits of wood all over the place
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas