Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 11:36 PM

810 posts, read 851,839 times

Advertisements

Find some big guys and strong arm them force them out then change the locks board the windows. This is complete BS. Squatters having any kind of rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 11:02 AM

413 posts, read 1,588,884 times
^^^^ This. I read somewhere there is a company in Vegas that does just this. They literally go in and forcibly remove the squatters. Let me do some research.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:17 PM

31 posts, read 101,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post
Find some big guys and strong arm them force them out then change the locks board the windows. This is complete BS. Squatters having any kind of rights?
This is a very tempting solution, but your more sophisticated squatters go running to some legal aid group and sue the Association. I often ask myself, what's the worst that can happen if a group of five or six nameless home owners enter the unit and simply demand that the squatters pack up their things and leave. There's strength in numbers. It seems like such a common sensical thing to do.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:19 PM

633 posts, read 581,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdangel49 View Post
This is a very tempting solution, but your more sophisticated squatters go running to some legal aid group and sue the Association. I often ask myself, what's the worst that can happen if a group of five or six nameless home owners enter the unit and simply demand that the squatters pack up their things and leave. There's strength in numbers. It seems like such a common sensical thing to do.
They will call 911 and have you arrested.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:49 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,476,031 times
I flipped through the text of the newish NV anti-squatting law. It seems that the owner of the property, or their authorized agent (think managing agent) have to initiate the process. That doesn't help in a situation like this, where there is essential no owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Metro does have the legal authority to do something about this. They are being lazy. They passed new laws last year that addressed this very situation. They have addressed less than 2% of the complaints they have received since that law passed. No money in it. They'd rather chase dope dealers and issue tickets for fines.

OP, start bugging your county commissioner. They hold the purse strings.

Old 08-22-2016, 11:00 PM

Two things to think about:

One, these squatters are usually fairly knowledgeable about the laws regarding tenancy and eviction procedures. They know what a private entity can and, more importantly, cannot do without court action.

Two, they're criminals, and are usually perfectly willing to use force to protect their territory. It's pretty likely they are going to be armed. They also know that a private party kicking the door of their squat would be considered a home invasion, and they would be considered justified in killing the people breaking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeygirl063 View Post

Old 08-23-2016, 01:14 AM

263 posts, read 437,976 times
I once lived in an upscale apartment complex in California, where it became evident to me that an apartment in my building was rented out to someone running prostitution out of it (fairly common in the SF Bay area, with Asians pimps & prostitutes). One night shortly after I concluded what was going on, I saw a group of three excited young males enter the apartment as I was headed out to walk my dogs.

I waited a couple minutes & then hmmm... did I just hear a scream?! Why yes, I think I did! Furthermore, I think it came from the apartment in-question! I called the local constabulary, anonymously gave the address & stated I thought I heard a commotion & then a scream, then hung-up & loitered around outside with my dogs.

Two police cars arrived & knocked on the apartment's door. Meanwhile, the three asian chaps I'd seen entering 10 minutes before hopped the ground-floor balcony & ran off. The PD could hear people inside the apartment, yet no one was responding to their demand that the door be opened. Meanwhile, I played dumb & told the police I'd just seen three Asians hope the porch of the apartment & run off... More police units were called, someone eventually opened the apartment door (otherwise, PD did have probable cause to kick-in the door or have management unlock the door) & the police had cause to enter. They immediately saw that about the only furnishings in there were mattresses.

About 30 min later, a black Mercedes ominously kept driving around the block -- I assume the MFIC pimp.

Anyway, several of the women were arrested -- I don't know why, but they were being loud & argumentative with the police -- & by the next day, it seemed like everyone moved-out. The renter didn't pay the next month's rent, plus I'd told my friends in the apt complex management what'd happened, so their security deposit was kept & the locks were changed.

All because I kinda sorta possibly may have heard a... scream...

Obviously, try the legal route, but keep in-mind the squatters obviously aren't concerned about laws, and they may try to use the laws in their favor.

That's where guerilla warfare comes into play.

Make life miserable for the squatters -- as someone else said, have all utilities turned-off, even if it's done mysteriously.
If the windows are open or there's a mail slot in the front door, get some OC spray & spray it inside the units. Toss feral cats in there, too! Turning off electricity & water NOW while it's still somewhat hot out will help. As you know, in another month or two, someone could live quite comfortably without AC or electricity.

For the prostitution unit -- if you scare the customers away, the pimp & ho's should leave soon too. Intercept the customers & say LVMPD is running a sting operation there now. Continue to leave signs/notes up reading something along the lines of "Hey you pathetic little man that has to pay for sex! Smile, you're on video as you're reading this, and the video of you, your car & license plate will soon be airing on a local TV station, as well as Youtube & Facebook!"

Do actually contact the media & see if they want to do a story. Especially if you'd had no-luck with LVMPD, maybe that's a major angle for a story that the media would be interested in.

Have an anonymous neighbor state they saw rats, roaches, termites, etc. coming from the units, and get the HOA to decide that they need to post legal notice that an exterminator will make entry into the units to spray, and that the occupants need to be out of the units while this is done, and for 6 hours afterwards. Maybe spray for bugs, but then also change the locks/post the unit as being owned by the bank or whatever, dump the squatter's property outside (as being garbage left behind & legally abandoned by the prior lawful tenants) *and* at the end, spray the inside of the place with OC.

Hire a uniformed, armed guard to keep people out & off of the property for a day or two, and then make it look like the units are legally occupied (put up for sale & SOLD! signs).

When you are inside, have a maint person do what he or she can to shut-down the utilities & make it very difficult for a squatter to reactivate them, i.e. remove the circuit breaker panel, etc.

See if the bank of whoever that legally owns the units will sell them back to the HOA or rent it to the HOA for a nominal fee. If so, the HOA decides to turn the units into model homes, a complex clubhouse, HOA offices, etc. Make sure HOA officials are in & out of the units regularly, so if they discover one of the units have been forcibly entered, it's reported as a potential burglary in-progress to the LVMPD, not a squatter issue.

If nothing else, if you can get a large group of residents (I'm sure that you've got some people living there who are concealed firearm permit holders and/or are willing to open-carry sidearms) of all races & both genders to confront the squatters, basically saying "You*will* GTFO or we *will* make your miserable lives more miserable" & do not not allow it to turn into a debate, I think they'll look for new environs. If they don't come outside when you knock on the door, study their pattern of life & learn when they come & go, so you can arrange for your group to be having a picnic on their front steps when they return.

Are there any kids living in there? If so, and especially if you know there's no electricity, water, etc. that's a good reason for you to call NV Child Protective Services: Nevada's Child Welfare and Child Protective Services

Make sure the USPS letter carriers knows the units aren't legally occupied, so hopefully no mail will be delivered.

Old 08-23-2016, 06:42 AM

107 posts, read 138,518 times
All very good ideas, except the one about tossing in feral cats. I can't see the logic in subjecting an animal to possible abuse.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:11 AM

Doggie,

Your tactics worked because the unit was a rental, and there was active ownership who could follow up on the police action, and retake posession of the unit. The HOA does not own the units that are the subject of this thread (yet.) Neither does any bank (yet.) If the cops come by, and arrest whoever is in the units, the question becomes, what happens next. The units are still vacant, with no real ownership. Chances are the squatter will bail out on whatever likely minor charges they were hit with, and come back.

Nothing good will happen with these units until someone, either the bank or the HOA forcloses on them.

And as far as active ongoing harassment of the squatters, as I stated above, that can turn out to be a very dangerous game.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:17 AM

633 posts, read 581,626 times
We have a squatter in a unit. We ran the plates to find the name of renter. Turns out he is out on bail on assault charges. Unit was being foreclosed on in a few months and we decided to leave it alone.

Only works depending on who is in unit.

Way back we had a guy who was an issue. Told the condo president next time someone from condo knocks on his door she will get a bullet in the head. Maybe bluffing maybe not.

Condo board is a volunteer position made up of usually older folks and widows. No one is risking their life over this stuff.

We place liens, try to foreclose, pursue a lawsuit vs owner but no longer approach tenants/squatters
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas