Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 11:46 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,055 times

Advertisements

Thougts pro and com ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2016, 12:09 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,278,661 times
Do you mean this?

Legal challenge filed in court against Nevada energy competition ballot Question 3 | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 10-09-2016, 12:30 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,055 times
yep

Old 10-09-2016, 12:55 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
1 no
2 yes
3 yes
4 yes
5 yes

Old 10-09-2016, 02:43 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,355,457 times
Remember, before they deregulated telephones all you paid was a few bucks a month and they provided the phone for free.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:42 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,144,915 times
STATE QUESTION NO. 3 Explanation and Arguments

Ballot Questions - 2016 General Election

Old 10-09-2016, 06:26 AM

799 posts, read 708,511 times
As a recent refugee to the free state of NV, I really try not to think of the living conditions in the oppressive state I left behind. But on this issue, please look to CA and my real world experience with what really happens with this idea, and it ain't good!

First, it is sold as "saves money", "eliminates monopoly", "eliminates appointed agency". All, IMHO very good, and very worthy concepts. However, in practice, that's not what happens. First, you'll get a "tiered" usage system, of which you can't meet the first tier if you leave your house empty all month long, and the rates will be started at what they are now. Then, it will go up from there. The last summer I was there, I remember hitting tier 5 one time, and it was nearly $1/kwh! And of course, there's always those "brownouts" if the new energy company hasn't thought to get enough power for the day, and can't find it on the open market. Of course the CEO is still going to get their bonus whether you get power or not, and if too much extra reserve is going to cut into that, well, guess what's going to happen?

Normally, I am all for the benefits of getting the government out of our lives, but with utilities like this, I think this is a terrible idea, and my experience with this same subject says we should stay far, far away from it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the electric service is provided here in NV. This is "fixing" something that isn't broken, and the "fix" is going to hurt a lot more than it helps, and the only ones who will benefit are a few worthless CEO's. The wife and I will be voting "no" on this terrible idea.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:23 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
Deregulating is going to be a huge win for NVEnergy. Rates will be unencumbered by regulation and we will start paying the same astronomical rates that deregulated surrounding states pay that enjoy a "competitive market". Kiss your 12 cents per kWh goodbye.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:30 AM

1,828 posts, read 5,313,645 times
On the pro side: spending $50k on a solar installation might finally start making sense from a ROI standpoint. I guess it is only a pro because I think a solar installation would be cool. Although an unregulated base rate might ruin this since it is currently illegal to be disconnected from the grid completely.

Last edited by Danknee; 10-09-2016 at 09:40 AM..

Old 10-09-2016, 09:38 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachhead View Post
As a recent refugee to the free state of NV, I really try not to think of the living conditions in the oppressive state I left behind. But on this issue, please look to CA and my real world experience with what really happens with this idea, and it ain't good!

First, it is sold as "saves money", "eliminates monopoly", "eliminates appointed agency". All, IMHO very good, and very worthy concepts. However, in practice, that's not what happens. First, you'll get a "tiered" usage system, of which you can't meet the first tier if you leave your house empty all month long, and the rates will be started at what they are now. Then, it will go up from there. The last summer I was there, I remember hitting tier 5 one time, and it was nearly $1/kwh! And of course, there's always those "brownouts" if the new energy company hasn't thought to get enough power for the day, and can't find it on the open market. Of course the CEO is still going to get their bonus whether you get power or not, and if too much extra reserve is going to cut into that, well, guess what's going to happen?

Normally, I am all for the benefits of getting the government out of our lives, but with utilities like this, I think this is a terrible idea, and my experience with this same subject says we should stay far, far away from it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way the electric service is provided here in NV. This is "fixing" something that isn't broken, and the "fix" is going to hurt a lot more than it helps, and the only ones who will benefit are a few worthless CEO's. The wife and I will be voting "no" on this terrible idea.
Deregulation could lead to the return of market manipulators like Enron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas