Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 04:46 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,230,813 times

Advertisements

Lived for a few years in a tiny Mormon town in New Mexico. Everyone in everyone's business, town gossip transferring over to the temple and vice versa, school staff and teachers selected by a "hiring committee" comprised of LDS church members.
In short, it was the town from Footloose.
How's the high school in Boulder City, how's the community and its politics, how's the vibe for a non-Mormon like me?
Does the LDS run the show or is it all pretty much history?
Just a bit gun-shy after this last place I lived in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 05:58 PM

2,753 posts, read 6,664,494 times
I've been there a couple tiimes, and it seemed fine to me. I was Catholic at the time (I gave it up for Lent), but I'm pagan now.

Old 10-12-2016, 04:49 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Dr. Hardy, who's ahead of the health board in Carson City, represents Boulder City, and when the physician-assisted suicide law, a bipartisan effort, was placed on his desk, he wouldn't even read though it! Dead on arrival! I suspect it's his Mormon background.

Recall, Las Vegas was a Mormon settlement to start with, and they aren't leaving. They may be small in number but what does numbers have to do with it!!!

The Chinese are a minority in a number of SE Asian countries, and they run the show!

I've never met anyone who's lived in Boulder City, in my 20 years here, but I have my suspicions about what life is like out there.

Old 10-12-2016, 09:03 AM

848 posts, read 647,978 times
Here is a story from one of the local news channels regarding a controversy there a few years ago which may help you in your evaluation: I-Team: Embattled Chief Says Mormons Control Boulder City | News | Boulder City News. Based on your comments you may want to consider a different area in Clark County.

Old 10-15-2016, 09:38 AM

927 posts, read 883,110 times
I'm amazed at the sheer number of Mormon churches in this town. You can't go 5 blocks without finding one.

Old 10-15-2016, 11:40 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ND_Irish View Post
Here is a story from one of the local news channels regarding a controversy there a few years ago which may help you in your evaluation: I-Team: Embattled Chief Says Mormons Control Boulder City | News | Boulder City News. Based on your comments you may want to consider a different area in Clark County.
The Mormons often dominate City Administrations, Boulder City, Henderson and NLV come to mind and there is also strong Mormon influence in the County and City of LV.

The deal cited is the strange case of Police Chief Finn and Mongol Attorney Stubbs. It is really not a a Mormon issue.

There are a lot more Catholics than Mormons in the Las Vegas valley though the Catholics are generally not as politically active.

The Mormons follow the old Catholic tradition of building a stake in any new neighborhood under development. That was commonly done by the Catholics in many eastern cities in earlier decades. Did not happen in the later development of the south western cities.

There is no indications that the Mormons have any great role in Boulder City life other than dominating elected offices. We have friends there who claim not to even be aware of the Mormon presence. There are towns where the Mormons dominate but BC is not one of them.

Old 10-16-2016, 02:33 AM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
Lived for a few years in a tiny Mormon town in New Mexico. Everyone in everyone's business, town gossip transferring over to the temple and vice versa, school staff and teachers selected by a "hiring committee" comprised of LDS church members.
In short, it was the town from Footloose.
How's the high school in Boulder City, how's the community and its politics, how's the vibe for a non-Mormon like me?
Does the LDS run the show or is it all pretty much history?
Just a bit gun-shy after this last place I lived in.
What gives you the idea Boulder City is a Mormon town? The reason for the restrictions there is because it was Federal Govt. town, and the people liked it that way. But the only restriction now is no gambling. For several years we couldn't buy a drink there, but that Federal regulation is gone now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas