Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 12:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Yes, we keep raising the sales tax to hire more cops, and in L.A., they raised the sales tax a whole 1/2 percent, sometime ago, with the approval of 68% of the L.A. county voters, to go on a light rail construction spree. And each line they build, it takes X number of cars off the road, less traffic fine revenue for the police.
Actually sales tax was raised 1/2 penny not 1/2 percent. 1/2 percent of the already existing 8.75% sales tax would be 4/100th of a penny, not the 1/2 cent that the sales tax was increased. Perhaps if the ignorant voters had realized that the sales tax increase was actually about 1000X greater than what the commercials told them, they would not have voted for the increase. But that is what you get with an uninformed voting populace. There really should be some sort of test required before people should be allowed to vote.

Also fewer cars on the road should lead to increased revenue from traffic fines. More cars = more traffic = slower speeds and speed is the majority of the reasons for traffic stops. Fewer cars (because more people on light rail) = less traffic = higher speeds.

Unless it is only the speeders that have opted to switch to light rail, in which case why would the speeders switch to a mode of transportation that more often than not will take them a longer amount of time to get to their destination as opposed to driving themselves in often half the time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2016, 08:19 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
^ Have you rode the light rails in L.A., with tops speeds of 79.5MPH? I've ridden the Green Line from Norwalk to Redondo, which runs along the freeway, and from the train windows I can see we're passing up traffic on the freeway!

Initially, long ago, they raised the sales tax, what? 1/2 percent, never rescinded, for more police officers, and since then there has been nickel and dime increases since then!

Old 10-25-2016, 08:40 PM

Quote:
^ Have you rode the light rails in L.A., with tops speeds of 79.5MPH? I've ridden the Green Line from Norwalk to Redondo, which runs along the freeway, and from the train windows I can see we're passing up traffic on the freeway!
Does not seem very efficient to me. 1.5-2 hours on public transit right now vs 35 minutes by car.
Attached Thumbnails
Another Sales Tax Hike For 300 More Police Officers-transit.jpg   Another Sales Tax Hike For 300 More Police Officers-drive.jpg  

Old 10-25-2016, 10:00 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Does not seem very efficient to me. 1.5-2 hours on public transit right now vs 35 minutes by car.
All is well and fine until you run into a major traffic jam, and then? The train zooms by you with lots of grinning faces!

I've ridden every light rail line in L.A., except the recent extension of the Expo line from Culver City to downtown Santa Monica! $7 for a Tap card, good for 24 hours of travel!

Old 10-25-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
I've ridden every light rail line in L.A.
I have not, but I guess I just value my time more than you. The few times that I have taken the gold line between Pasadena and DTLA, I would have saved time driving myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas