Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:16 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,808 times

Advertisements

This isn't about being liberal or conservative. I just find it interesting that the Sun is in favor of legalization and allows comments on its stories. The Review Journal-Adelsons' paper is against but does not allow anyone to disagree.

I'm neither liberal or conservative but do believe in discussion. My position is as follows:

I’ve served as an elected District Attorney in Conservative Texas. Every DA is on a limited budget. We have to make choices. I believe in strict punishment for violent offenders and burglars. I rarely gave probation. Unfortunately we had to deal with all these annoying pot cases. Even when pot users got probation the understaffed probation officers had to make sure they were in by 10PM – I’d rather they checked on sex offenders.
In addition the Washington Post reports for 2015 Colorado gained 18,000 pot-related jobs and $2.4 billion in revenue. 2016 will be much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2016, 09:14 PM

625 posts, read 797,018 times
So much manpower like that can be used on more important things like you say. Wouldnt have thought about probation officers etc. Really hope it passes, but I know it will be super close vote

Old 10-28-2016, 09:29 PM

2,457 posts, read 4,722,430 times
I dont like the message it sends with legalization and its social ills associated with it. Then I dont like wasted tax dollars on the enforcement of chronic. You got me.

Old 10-28-2016, 09:44 PM

15,842 posts, read 14,472,390 times
The war on drugs has failed. It's time to move on.

Old 10-29-2016, 04:18 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
I voted no on question number 2.

This state has the worst, or one of the worst graduation rates, and now they want to throw this into the mix. So lets eliminate a large percentage of the workforce to any job that pays well enough and has prestige enough to require a background check. Yes, when they do a background check they will ask you if you use it, and if you say you do, you won't get hired - let alone land an interview, and if caught not telling the truth, you can be prosecuted in some cases, or fired. So lets hamstring the kids from the git go. Let's put up a sign that we don't want companies moving to Las Vegas or Henderson that hire quality employees.

You don't hear about this from the other states that have passed this, because it goes against the narrative. But it's there. When you can't get that job that you otherwise would have gotten.

But they're hiring at mcdonalds. Would you like fries with that?

Old 10-29-2016, 06:14 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oeccscclhjhn View Post
I voted no on question number 2.

This state has the worst, or one of the worst graduation rates, and now they want to throw this into the mix. So lets eliminate a large percentage of the workforce to any job that pays well enough and has prestige enough to require a background check. Yes, when they do a background check they will ask you if you use it, and if you say you do, you won't get hired - let alone land an interview, and if caught not telling the truth, you can be prosecuted in some cases, or fired. So lets hamstring the kids from the git go. Let's put up a sign that we don't want companies moving to Las Vegas or Henderson that hire quality employees.

You don't hear about this from the other states that have passed this, because it goes against the narrative. But it's there. When you can't get that job that you otherwise would have gotten.

But they're hiring at mcdonalds. Would you like fries with that?
Colorado and Washington have great schools and I see no problem with graduation rates.

Before you talk about others and their education --my post was about the two newspapers. Reading comprehension --

Old 10-29-2016, 06:27 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
Colorado and Washington have great schools and I see no problem with graduation rates...
The fallout will show in the coming years. There is a lag time. State law still does not trump Federal law, so users have a tainted record.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:04 AM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,115,265 times
This is why it's important to legalize all the states.
While you're concerned about non issues like graduation and jobs, you're missing the lives ruined by it being illegal. The cost to house a pot head is insane. The amount of resources we waste on drugs is insane.

Old 10-29-2016, 07:28 AM

1,073 posts, read 1,043,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
I’ve served as an elected District Attorney in Conservative Texas.....I rarely gave probation.
I did not know a prosecutor could sentence a defendant.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:57 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVREDLEG View Post
I did not know a prosecutor could sentence a defendant.
Great point..I didn't want to go there ...next thing he posts will be his Mensa membership...I sense somebody in Texas has small hands !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas