Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2016, 05:32 PM

111 posts, read 166,180 times

Advertisements

How bad is the dust situation there in the valley? Like is there a major difference between say living 3 streets deep into a subdivision vs living on the edge of one with a busier road on the other side of the wall? Is it a constant battle, or does having filtered central air help with that? Are there parts of the area that are dustier than others?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2016, 07:34 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
Dust sucks here. We can get big dust storms covering parts of the city. We live in a mature suburban area 15 minutes NW from the city core. I have to dust weekly inside and the battle of the dust on the patio outside is a daily occurrence. Otherwise it can get really filthy. Our apartments have us change our central air filter monthly and they provide the filters so our AC/heating units don't get backed up and crash. I dislike dusting but I've learned a lot more about it since living in the desert southwest.

Old 11-14-2016, 07:50 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
We do get windstorms periodically, and they can blow dust all around.

Filters for central air conditioning are largely to protect the air conditioner. You will still need to dust the home (or should that be de-dust your home?)

Old 11-14-2016, 08:05 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Avoid areas with vacant lots or open desert.

Its better to live three blocks in rather than near the edge of a community due to the random property crime risk being generally lower the deeper you get into a neighborhood. Also cars still spew pollutants inspite of what some may say
and you will have less traffic noise ect.

Yes there is dust but it would be far from a primary concern unless someone in the household has breathing issues.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:05 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
You probably don't want to live near those two gravel pits on either side of Spring Mtn between Buffalo and Tenaya (Wells Cargo).

Old 11-14-2016, 10:37 PM

111 posts, read 166,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Avoid areas with vacant lots or open desert.

Its better to live three blocks in rather than near the edge of a community due to the random property crime risk being generally lower the deeper you get into a neighborhood. Also cars still spew pollutants inspite of what some may say
and you will have less traffic noise ect.

Yes there is dust but it would be far from a primary concern unless someone in the household has breathing issues.
Yeah that's another benefit that consider. I currently live next to a couple of busy streets, and have always grown up around that sort of thing, so I've always had to deal with dust issues. It makes sense that there would probably be more dust to deal with in a desert climate.

When I dust, the cloth usually come out black due to pollutants and the like. Are you guys plagued by black dust, or is it more gray?

Old 11-15-2016, 11:31 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Dust here, if I understand it correctly, isn't dirt. It's sand. Ours is tan more or less. We don't have the problems others mention It's gets dusty in the house, but we can go two weeks w/o dusting and it's not terrible. We are close to 215 and Lake Mead.

It has been a bit worse lately with the construction of the new subdivision on the other side of 215, but not terrible.

Old 11-15-2016, 05:34 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,275,915 times
This is what the tyranny of dust looks like on a weekly basis. It's no match for my microfiber cloth! This is inside. Outside is another story entirely. And yes. Until I moved here I had no idea I had breathing issues with dust. I sneeze like crazy here.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:04 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
This what dust looks like? Be thankful you don't have photo's of your lungs, with all that fine silica, after one of our powerful 40-50-60MPH dusters!

Masks are as necessary in Las Vegas as A/C!

Old 11-16-2016, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 5,433 times
No matter where you live, you'll deal with dust. Invest in pledge, dusters, and always change out your filters in the home. You'll never keep your house 100% dust free (or your car for that matter). You can keep up with it, but never beat it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas