Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:30 AM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times

Advertisements

So, I'm a couple years from retiring and my sister, who lives in Henderson, has always been after me to move to Las Vegas from L.A.. I've started looking at the MLS and I really like The Lakes. There's a beautiful home listed there right now for $ 599,000 which is just what my current paid-off condo in L.A. is worth. It has a big pool and is also right on the water. Can anyone tell me any pluses or minuses about this area? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2017, 05:35 AM

2,544 posts, read 2,737,804 times
I like it. It is a good area. Everything is convenient to get to as far as restaurants, stores etc.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:56 AM

2,880 posts, read 2,808,496 times
Only been there on a few occasions. People seemed a lot nicer, they said hello when walking by. Walking trails where very nice too.

If I could afford it, and had to live in Las Vegas, that location would probably be my number one choice.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:13 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,519,662 times
Lovely area. Seems isolated and safe.

Old 10-05-2017, 12:29 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
Lovely area. Seems isolated and safe.
It is a flip. They bought it last November for $400,000. Looks nice though and the price is not out of line.

The Lakes is also nice and a convenient location.

Also look at Desert Shores. For waterfront I think it is better. Same price class generally.

Old 10-05-2017, 02:13 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,931,395 times
Thank you all.

Old 10-05-2017, 08:20 PM

294 posts, read 236,255 times
The problem with both desert shores and the lakes is, that

a) there are limited numbers of houses with pool
b) your yard will be tiny
c) many houses there are outdated
d) you pay a hefty premium for lake view

Everyone has his own opinion about what matters and what not, but I wanted to buy in desert shores, but the little yards, and often no pools did finally turn me away. Both desert shores and lakes are great neighborhoods. No question about that.

Last edited by Michael2016; 10-05-2017 at 08:49 PM..

Old 10-05-2017, 08:27 PM

587 posts, read 305,028 times
its ok , its an older neighborhood

Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 PM

1,410 posts, read 3,319,896 times
The most difficult thing about both of those waterside neighborhoods is not only the smaller lot size but the fact that they are older homes with old fashioned floor plans. Front door opens into a long entrance hall, living room off to the left or right, dining room behind, small closed up kitchen with walls on all four sides and then a small family room. Today's trend is big open great room with a open kitchen overlooking it and a dining room in full view. Wonderful for stretching space. If you are fortunate enough to find one of these older houses that have had a wall or two removed to open it up, you have to hope they have modernized the amenties. I.E., removed square tile countertops and added granite or concrete. Torn up dirt attracting carpet and added tile or wood, removed ancient brass light fixtures, removed ceramic tile counters in bathrooms, replaced old white kitchen appliances with stainless steel and replaced old furnaces with more energy efficient ones.

Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjameson922 View Post
The most difficult thing about both of those waterside neighborhoods is not only the smaller lot size but the fact that they are older homes with old fashioned floor plans. Front door opens into a long entrance hall, living room off to the left or right, dining room behind, small closed up kitchen with walls on all four sides and then a small family room. Today's trend is big open great room with a open kitchen overlooking it and a dining room in full view. Wonderful for stretching space. If you are fortunate enough to find one of these older houses that have had a wall or two removed to open it up, you have to hope they have modernized the amenties. I.E., removed square tile countertops and added granite or concrete. Torn up dirt attracting carpet and added tile or wood, removed ancient brass light fixtures, removed ceramic tile counters in bathrooms, replaced old white kitchen appliances with stainless steel and replaced old furnaces with more energy efficient ones.
Disagree a bit JJ. While there are lots of dated late 80s homes in both there are a lot of very nice open ones as you get up to around 600K and above. Particularly lake side. Diamond Bay has some places that are exquisite...though many are close or over a million. But Harbor Cove has a couple of very modern floorplans. Actually single stories with a second story hung on. And there are some neat customs in Spinnaker Cove.

The present example in the Lakes has obviously been extensively reworked and would appear quite modern.

There are of course some both on and off the water that have not been touched in thirty years...and on those you are right. But there are lots of others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: