Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2016, 10:16 AM

11 posts, read 24,189 times

Advertisements

Any recommendations for someone to replace two walls and tile them? Any handyman I've tried insists on a full bathroom demo and re-do and I need to do the minimum. Also flooring in there. My son has let the tile fall off and ruin the wall above the tub and by the toilet. So I need a tub length wall and 4 or 5 feet behind the toilet- which I will likely replace too. I need to do this ASAP because it's just going to get worse. Today I'll buy some heavy duty plastic and tape it over for now.

Stupid kid is getting weekly inspections for now on or moving out!

Thanks,
Rebecca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2016, 04:58 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,349,256 times
Don't go to Lowe's. We got them to redesign and tile our master shower with 18 x 18 travertine like we have on the floor. They started by tearing out the old shower on, I believe, Oct 20th. Then all the following week the subcontractor lied to me about it being to "humid" to lay those heavy tiles. The first day I took his word for it, then I said, hey what about Florida? Then my daughter told a friend who owns a construction company and he said that's BS - what about Florida?

Then the guy lied to me about the tile guy breaking his saw and waiting for parts. Middle of the following week a guy showed up to do the tile, and he told me that the contractor was lying because he couldn't find anyone who could lay that kind of tile; but not to worry because he was the best there is. Then he proceeded to screw it up so bad they had to tear out some of his work and start over. Then he got done "fixing it" (he didn't- there are still a lot of problems) and the floor in the shower is like all wavy lines instead of flat. Part of it even stuck up so high it would cut you bare feet if you stepped on it. The tile guy even said he didn't know how to do the floor, but apparently they made him anyway.

Then after going over a lot of heads at Lowe's they sent a lady who said it was unacceptable, and the subcontractor argued that it was the way it's supposed to be. Then Lowe's made us wait until they talked to a factory rep for the floor, and apparently the same sub will be here tomorrow to rip out the floor and start over. Since he hasn't got a clue, I don't know if this will ever end. In the meantime the credit card company has been paid three payments already. If this isn't corrected ASAP we'll dispute the credit card payment. And this thing is costing about half what my entire first house cost.

Oh yeah, The designer designed a "water fall" under the glass block windows that made it look like a Christmas tree. Since that was some of the tile the 'expert' tile guy put on wrong the first time, it went away completely.

So good luck with the shower. Just know that you are mostly dealing with unskilled labor in Las Vegas. Even the skilled labor will screw things up if you don't stay on top of them. My daughter is having her whole house made over on the inside, and she's had a few problems with experts. Luckily she's using our friend's construction company so things are taken care of right away.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:03 PM

Oh yeah. My daughter says to go to Home Depot. She said they are much better.

Lowes also put in a kitchen sink for us a few years ago, and their very rude plumber cracked the granite around the sink. I didn't notice it right away so couldn't prove he did it, but it was him.

Old 12-07-2016, 05:28 PM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,683 times
It's not that tough a job if the structure underneath is ok.

How old is son I could come supervise him doing it since he caused it.

If you have rot or mold issues that may be another matter.

Old 12-07-2016, 07:14 PM

775 posts, read 776,194 times
Do NOT use Home Depot for any large projects like bathrooms or kitchens. They installed the Kitchen from Hell at our house ten years ago....the work was poor, late, with subcontractors of subcontractors, and in the end took six months. I video taped it as a part of our ongoing complaints and ended up settling with them with a refund of all labor costs. The end product was acceptable but is a daily reminder of the install nightmare. They requested copy of the video as a training tool for what not to do. The tough part was the costs came out of a store manager's backside and not the corporation. At the end if it all I will buy a paintbrush from them. I need two bathrooms done shortly and will not use any of these kinds of places. I am a retired social worker and know my own skills are better than those who worked on our kitchen.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robojester View Post
It's not that tough a job if the structure underneath is ok.

How old is son I could come supervise him doing it since he caused it.

If you have rot or mold issues that may be another matter.
How about coming and supervising the idiot that works for Lowe's at my place?

Old 12-08-2016, 05:38 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,152,683 times
If I only had an in !

Old 12-08-2016, 07:35 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,669,562 times
I completely agree with not going thru Lowes for the install.

Do you own the property? If it's a rental the landlord or property management company probably has someone who can do the repair more affordably and you won't get hung at the end of the lease for unapproved improvements or repairs and if the work isn't done to their standard it would be between them and the contractor.

You need to make sure there is no leak inside that wall also. Your discription of the extent of the damage makes it seem like a possibility.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:48 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
If you can speak enough Spanish, you could potentially find some good expert work done on your house, or even car repairs.

I found that out yesterday morning as I stopped by CA Glass on Rancho/Washington to find out if they could get my driver's side window to go down, been stuck there for 3 years, as every mechanic has told me I need a new motor, hard to find for a 32YO car, and I was looking at $500+. This Spanish speaking worker there told me I don't need a new motor, only the window has gone off the track: $55! But I can speak enough Spanish just to scoot by! Listening to them, if speaking too fast, is the biggest challenge!

I have a Mexican roommate/handyman who's been renting a room from me for 15 years, been doing handyman/construction/rehab work for 40 years, but the Great Recession all but did him in, and he lost his truck, and now he just does small jobs, via his bicycle, in East Central. And he's only about 20% proficient in English.

Old 01-04-2017, 04:41 PM

11 posts, read 24,189 times
Thank you for the answers. I forgot I posted here! I've been going through hell trying to find someone to do this work. I've been stood up, lied to, bragged to (if you are rich why do you keep hounding me over this small job?). So far nada. I wish I was fluent in Spanish! Apparently this job is too small for a contractor but too big for a handyman. The only real quote I got was astronomical. Another guy told me $1500 to $2000 but it was going to be $800 to demo and so the quote seemed way low.

Getting this done is more than a full time job and I also have to work my full time job!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas