Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 03:53 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,763,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdreloc View Post
You will have a higher risk of earthquakes than Las Vegas plus additional threats of volcanoes, hurricanes and tsunamis.
Other than that, Hawaii is just super expensive. You will need a high income just to live modestly there.
I think you left out locusts (LOL).
Super expensive? Not nearly as bad as you think. Electricity is higher but consumption is much lower. Food is higher but can be supplemented by shopping the local Farmer's Market and fishing. Housing is cheap right now and will bounce back eons before Vegas. To each his own I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 04:05 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eventusstultorummagister View Post
Super expensive? Not nearly as bad as you think. Electricity is higher but consumption is much lower. Food is higher but can be supplemented by shopping the local Farmer's Market and fishing. Housing is cheap right now and will bounce back eons before Vegas. To each his own I guess.
Actually Costco is the big helper in Hawaii. Though they travel nearly 3000 miles to stock there, the prices still stay as low as on the mainland.
There is also Walmart for other little stuff.

Lots of people on the Dole out there.
If you like it always hot or humid, that is the place. It is a real nice place though.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:31 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
Big Island, Kona (ex-whaling village), surfing, sailing, fishing, hiking, etc. Waikiki is a tourist trap much like Vegas.
Waikiki has little to do with Honolulu. Any Hawaiian who lives there would tell you that. Kind of like suggesting Las Vegas is the Fremont Experience.

Our target was up the hill a way in Maui. We also considered the other islands but not seriously.

After 90 days I suspect a lot of it would be wearing off. Even surfers have this mad desire to go somewhere else to surf. Tough in Kona. Actually you best love the surf...ain't much else there.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:28 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,288 times
Quote:
I have been to Hawaii, in Honolulu. Nice, I like the beach in front of Ala Moana. My mother's cousins retired in the island and purchased a house there. It reminds them of home. It really looks like Metro Manila, a smaller, more organized twin, hehehe.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Our target was up the hill a way in Maui.
"Up the hill"?

Old 11-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiker1o View Post
It really looks like Metro Manila, a smaller, more organized twin, hehehe.
Hindi Po!

Old 11-11-2010, 05:44 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,200,574 times
Quote:
"Up the hill"?
Higher elevations toward Haleakala.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:56 PM

848 posts, read 1,724,288 times
Quote:
Hindi Po!
I have been to both places, the bay area of Manila is very similar to Waikiki minus the beach. Full of hotels and shopping centers. Ala Moana Shopping Center and the high rises around it remind me of one of Metro Manila's business districts. Honolulu is far more organized and definitely cleaner generally speaking but it is very similar to Metro Manila, a smaller version. Even the vegetation/landscaping is the same.

mod interpose: Further conversation about Hawaii, or anywhere else, will be either deleted or moved to the chat thread from this point forward. The last page is off topic for this thread.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:13 PM

351 posts, read 837,089 times
Is the inventory of resales down because of the foreclosure crackdown? When might the inventory be back up? There's very little available in the condo community in which I'm looking. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Old 11-16-2010, 02:35 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaslocal55 View Post
Is the inventory of resales down because of the foreclosure crackdown? When might the inventory be back up? There's very little available in the condo community in which I'm looking. Thanks for any info you can give me.
I hear that many are bought before ever getting to market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas