Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2011, 02:59 PM

179 posts, read 389,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony soprano View Post
If anyone believes there's any market that exists where its participants manipulate the prices downward so as to maximize their losses, please DM me. I'm selling a bridge (in like new condition) that you may be interested in.

There was a bid rigging conspiracy I saw in the news yesterday, somewhere in California, one of the Central Valley cities, and it said that buyers on the courthouse steps were rigging it so that they would let one person get the lowest bid and nobody would bid against them on purpose, then that person would resale the house at a higher cost and they would all split the profits amongst themselves. The news also said that this may be widespread and they are doing more investigating. So in a case like that, technically, it would be buyers participating in the market who are manipulating the prices downward, which has them all sharing in the profits later on when the places are sold. That was somewhere in the news yesterday, but I do not have a link. If the bridge you are selling is the Brooklyn Bridge, if the price is right I might be interested in seeing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 03:26 PM

1,347 posts, read 2,447,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheryl_Jones View Post
There was a bid rigging conspiracy I saw in the news yesterday, somewhere in California, one of the Central Valley cities, and it said that buyers on the courthouse steps were rigging it so that they would let one person get the lowest bid and nobody would bid against them on purpose, then that person would resale the house at a higher cost and they would all split the profits amongst themselves. The news also said that this may be widespread and they are doing more investigating. So in a case like that, technically, it would be buyers participating in the market who are manipulating the prices downward, which has them all sharing in the profits later on when the places are sold. That was somewhere in the news yesterday, but I do not have a link. If the bridge you are selling is the Brooklyn Bridge, if the price is right I might be interested in seeing it.
Sheryl, what you're probably referring to is the act of collusion - agreeing with other market participants not to bid against each other so as to keep the final sales price low. The auction participants are colluding to maximize their profits, not their losses.

That's the type of behavior you'd expect in a capitalistic market - profit maximization. Although collusion is profit maximization taken to the extreme and in the above example, likely illegal. That's completely opposite from the absurd notion that banks are actively manipulating the prices of the homes they carry on their books downwards, which would have the effect of maximizing their losses.

Now, about that bridge...

Old 05-06-2011, 04:46 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,184,186 times
Quote:
If anyone believes there's any market that exists where its participants manipulate the prices downward so as to maximize their losses, please DM me. I'm selling a bridge (in like new condition) that you may be interested in.
And anyone dumb enough to believe that there are two kinds of SFRs - those sold by the lenders as REOs and those sold by individuals as classics should absolutely call up Tony and buy his bridge.

Old 05-06-2011, 04:53 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,776,379 times
Captain, I'm not sure I follow you on that one, but it seems only the "LV School of Denial" teaches to realtors and underwater homeowners that REOs don't count as comps, and the assessor data means absolutely nothing.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
And anyone dumb enough to believe that there are two kinds of SFRs - those sold by the lenders as REOs and those sold by individuals as classics should absolutely call up Tony and buy his bridge.
I bought my first REO 16 years ago. The purchase price then was about 10% - 12% less than comparable non-REO properties. The housing market today is an order of magnitude worse now. You may be the only realtor in Vegas that doesn't understand why REOs are priced lower.

Old 05-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Captain, I'm not sure I follow you on that one, but it seems only the "LV School of Denial" teaches to realtors and underwater homeowners that REOs don't count as comps, and the assessor data means absolutely nothing.
Actually the use of REOs as comps is very much a subject of controversy. If you were active in the industry you would know that.

Classically single REOs were ignored as not being an arms length transaction between a competent buyer and a competent and willing seller.

In our mess they are considered if they are a significant portion of the sales in a neighborhood.

If however the neighborhood has 8 classics and two REOs the REOs are pretty much ignored.

The issue however remains the same. Are there two kinds of houses? Classics sell all across the board for 25% more than REOs. So they must be different kinds of houses right?

Old 05-06-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
I bought my first REO 16 years ago. The purchase price then was about 10% - 12% less than comparable non-REO properties. The housing market today is an order of magnitude worse now. You may be the only realtor in Vegas that doesn't understand why REOs are priced lower.
Explain it to me.

I have two houses on the same block virtually identical in every parameter. Explain to me why one is worth 25% less than the other. I am all ears.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Explain it to me.

I have two houses on the same block virtually identical in every parameter. Explain to me why one is worth 25% less than the other. I am all ears.
The owner of one of the two houses is incurring carrying costs every month that they own it, with no corresponding benefit. That owner is accruing expenses in the form of taxes, HOA dues, insurance, maintenance, etc., without the benefit, or need, of using it as shelter. Secondly, that owner's livelihood is somewhat dependent on their ability to efficiently deploy capital. The house they own is generating a negative rate of return when the capital it ties up could be used, at the very least, to earn a risk-free rate of return of ~3.25%

The owner of the other house would like to sell their home so they can buy another one.

The owner of one of the houses is more motivated to sell their home than the other owner and is willing to discount their sales price accordingly. I'll let you figure out which of the two owners is a bank.

Last edited by tony soprano; 05-06-2011 at 07:22 PM..

Old 05-06-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
The owner of one of the two houses is incurring carrying costs every month that they own it, with no corresponding benefit. That owner is accruing expenses in the form of taxes, HOA dues, insurance, maintenance, etc., without the benefit, or need, of using it as shelter. Secondly, that owner's livelihood is somewhat dependent on their ability to efficiently deploy capital. The house they own is generating a negative rate of return when the capital it ties up could be used, at the very least, earning a risk-free rate of return of ~3.25
So only bank owned houses have carrying costs?

So only banks have opportunity cost?

Quote:
The owner of the other house would like to sell their home so they can buy another one.
YOu know this how? And they have not moved? They are not encountering the costs that the bank owned home does?

Quote:
The owner of one of the houses is more motivated to sell their home than the other owner and is willing to discount their sales price accordingly. I'll let you figure out which of the two owners is a bank.
Ohh... so your real answer is self-evident truth?

There is every reason to believe that many...if not most...private sellers are vastly more motivated to sell than a lender.. Their entire financial future collapses if they don't sell well. So they should be the low price leader..

Does not work that way though does it?

Sad try Tony...sad try.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:31 PM

2,724 posts, read 4,762,043 times
Quote:
Explain to me why one is worth 25% less than the other. I am all ears.
Top 3 reasons:

1. It won't appraise (@higher price)
2. Low prices fuel demand (banks have a plethora of homes to unload)
3. There are no jobs and foreclosure filings are rising (again)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas