Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 10:24 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times

Advertisements

Several off topic posts deleted.

The topic here is LV real estate market, not retirement or politics. There are other forums here for those discussions. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 10:28 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,863,648 times
back to Real estate...

Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 AM

11 posts, read 26,083 times
Here is an article I came across today:

"LAS VEGAS -- It's estimated there are thousands of foreclosed homes about to hit the local housing market. According to banking and real estate insiders, Las Vegas real estate is about to take another big hit, and it could delay the recovery for years to come.
Foreclosure notices continue to be posted on homes around the Las Vegas valley.
"What I'm hearing from sources, is that work has never been busier," realtor Jared Jones said. ..."

Las Vegas Housing Marking Facing Foreclosure Glut - 8 News NOW

Old 08-30-2012, 11:11 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Does not compute. If you check the data attached to that report it shows nothing more than a continuation of last month.

Jared Jones may well believe it is going to hit again. But he has a very strong vested interest. He is the largest REO operation in Vegas or close to it. I would think he goes out of business or completely retools if this continues much longer.

I would still contend that the system is not capable of handling enough REOs to really change anything at this point. Maybe if the Banks all went full out they could build a system to process 2000 or 3000 REOs a month in a year or more. But I doubt even those numbers would cause any heroic change.

One hears rumors of a big spurt in judicial foreclosure but there don't seem to be any statistics supporting that. Judicial foreclosure is much more expensive and has some interesting side effects in the details.

Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM

261 posts, read 422,953 times
July Market Report - Excuse me if this has been posted already.

3,430 SFH, Condos, and Townhomes closed.

Resale 1,325 - 38.6%
Short Sales 1,398 - 40.8%
REO 707 - 20.6%

1,868 Cash purchases
840 Conventional Financing
538 FHA
127 VA

(Via Lisa Ray Ticor Title.)

Old 08-30-2012, 07:13 PM

2,037 posts, read 2,989,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Does not compute. If you check the data attached to that report it shows nothing more than a continuation of last month.

Jared Jones may well believe it is going to hit again. But he has a very strong vested interest. He is the largest REO operation in Vegas or close to it. I would think he goes out of business or completely retools if this continues much longer.

I would still contend that the system is not capable of handling enough REOs to really change anything at this point. Maybe if the Banks all went full out they could build a system to process 2000 or 3000 REOs a month in a year or more. But I doubt even those numbers would cause any heroic change.

One hears rumors of a big spurt in judicial foreclosure but there don't seem to be any statistics supporting that. Judicial foreclosure is much more expensive and has some interesting side effects in the details.
You underestimate the ability of corporations to increase bandwidth if there is economic incentive to do so; the free market is highly adaptive and quite flexible.

I concur that the numbers proffered in the article do not indicate an imminent windfall of new homes crashing the market.

There is a lack of transparency and uncertainty surrounding the underlying factors which lead to foreclosures.

A good indicator for future foreclosures will be the number of homeowners seriously delinquent on their current mortgages;however, the potential for legislative relief and the ferocity in which banks press the foreclosure process will further complicate things.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:27 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,798,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datafeed View Post
You underestimate the ability of corporations to increase bandwidth if there is economic incentive to do so; the free market is highly adaptive and quite flexible.

I concur that the numbers proffered in the article do not indicate an imminent windfall of new homes crashing the market.

There is a lack of transparency and uncertainty surrounding the underlying factors which lead to foreclosures.

A good indicator for future foreclosures will be the number of homeowners seriously delinquent on their current mortgages;however, the potential for legislative relief and the ferocity in which banks press the foreclosure process will further complicate things.
Actually I am one of the few people in the US or the world who has actually tried to do something interesting with an open ended budget. Time is far more proscribing than anyone understands until they attempt to do it.

And in no way do I ever suggest the ultimate bandwidth cannot be anything they are willing to pay for...but there are two really big provisions. It takes time, lots of time, and always vastly more time than initially estimated..and it cannot have a government piece in the middle.

The problem simply has too many unknowns. What price will the banks attempt to achieve? The last time price was an outcome as they achieved volume. But this time? Is it possible that a bank might try to make a few bucks off the foreclosures? Or that an investor pool or two might?

This endeavor is pretty well doomed by both factors. And, in my opinion, the people who do this sort of thing are certain to screw it up royally...adding a third negative factor. You know many bright mid level engineers or MBAs who want to build the world's best foreclosure mill?

These continue to be interesting times.

Old 08-30-2012, 07:34 PM

7,112 posts, read 13,156,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny88 View Post
Here is an article I came across today:

"LAS VEGAS -- It's estimated there are thousands of foreclosed homes about to hit the local housing market. According to banking and real estate insiders, Las Vegas real estate is about to take another big hit, and it could delay the recovery for years to come.
Foreclosure notices continue to be posted on homes around the Las Vegas valley.
"What I'm hearing from sources, is that work has never been busier," realtor Jared Jones said. ..."

Las Vegas Housing Marking Facing Foreclosure Glut - 8 News NOW
They need to just release them already and get it over with. If every home in Vegas was valued at $10,000 there will be no where to go but up.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:23 PM

Operating with a de facto open budget is not too uncommon.

Time limitations can be mitigated by the addition of resources.

I will not concede that bandwidth limitations are anything more than a short term operational impediment.

I agree with you that the government tinkering can interfere with market efficiencies.

Away with the esoteric:

If the banks want to process more foreclosures they will do so. And they will do so relatively easily.

This is not a difficult task to accomplish. One does not need Romney type tier 1 management consultants to develop a plan to expedite the foreclosure process...more like a task achieved by the 2 tier consulting firm I used to work for in Manhattan.

You sir are correct, these are interesting times.

I think when one weeds out the the chaff and the noise, it's hard to come to any conclusion other than: many more homes will eventually hit the market as many people in Vegas can't pay their mortgages as the incomes there can't sustain the housing market above a certain price point.

When this will happen and at what pace? Who knows.

I despise offering anecdotal evidence but I will. I have a contingent offer on a short sale in Lake Las Vegas in the 300-350k range. The area is nice and the home last sold for around 600k (maybe more but i cant recall). When I met the owners I was expecting them to be professionals or sumptin. Nope, the guy was a bartender and the lady was an enlisted member of the reserves.

Why are these people in a 600k house with a balloon mortgage payment? Them and the 1000s like them cant afford to live so grand.

The chickens will come to roost..eventually..a smarter man than me can speculate if it's four months or two years away.

that being said, it's not very prudent to worry about slight upticks in housing either way. A house is a home, not a piggy bank...a place to set roots, raise a family, and contribute to the community. You should ask yourself: 1. Do I want to live here? 2. Can I afford to live here? As long as you can afford the payments who cares if it's underwater. It's your home.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
They need to just release them already and get it over with. If every home in Vegas was valued at $10,000 there will be no where to go but up.
they should.

but the fools who overextended themselves will go whining to pandering idiotic politicians who will try to interfere with the free market and craft zany legislation that makes the responsible subsidize the irresponsible.

robo signing or not, folks lived in homes they could not afford now they cant pay so they need to move out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas