Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 05:17 PM

244 posts, read 332,349 times

Advertisements

Can someone explain how the Fed can drive the housing market when the monetary transmission is broken?

Below is a link to the FED's framework from '07, compare to the results charted above.

Housing and the Monetary Transmission Mechanism
Frederic S. Mishkin
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System
August 2007

LINK: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/f.../200740pap.pdf

"By raising or lowering short-term interest rates, monetary policy affects the housing
market, and in turn the overall economy, directly or indirectly through at least six
channels: through the direct effects of interest rates on (1) the user cost of capital,
(2) expectations of future house-price movements, and (3) housing supply; and indirectly
through (4) standard wealth effects from house prices, (5) balance sheet, credit-channel
effects on consumer spending, and (6) balance sheet, credit-channel effects on housing
demand."

Last edited by VegasVicsezhowdy; 03-15-2013 at 05:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2013, 08:42 PM

261 posts, read 422,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVicsezhowdy View Post
Can someone explain how the Fed can drive the housing market when the monetary transmission is broken?

"By raising or lowering short-term interest rates, monetary policy affects the housing
market, and in turn the overall economy, directly or indirectly through at least six
channels: through the direct effects of interest rates on (1) the user cost of capital,
(2) expectations of future house-price movements, and (3) housing supply; and indirectly
through (4) standard wealth effects from house prices, (5) balance sheet, credit-channel
effects on consumer spending, and (6) balance sheet, credit-channel effects on housing
demand."
Isn't it pretty obvious that low interest rates are the big catalyst? The Fed cannot spur aggregate demand with low interest rates, or QE, but they sure as hell can pump up asset prices. They are counting on a wealth effect but I think too many have been burned in the last two bubbles and they are hoarding cash. At least that is what I am doing.

Old 03-17-2013, 08:44 PM

Las Vegas Real Estate Market Update (March 2013) - YouTube

Old 03-17-2013, 08:53 PM

I saw last week the LVRJ had a chart showing population growth from 2002-2012 for Clark County. It went from about 1.5m to 2m in the course of ten years including the housing bust. I see no reason why that shouldn't continue for at least the next ten years considering the baby boomers are retiring.

If there are 50,000 homes that will hit the market sooner or later, and I think that is correct, that would be about 3 years of inventory for these new Las Vegans. That would stall a housing recovery but certainly not send it into a tailspin. I guess we will see in 2014. If Bryan Lebo is right and we appreciate another 10-20% this year we would still be down by about 1/3 from 2005 levels but not everyone bought at those inflated prices. Any way you slice it the housing market should be on it's feet, foreclosure crisis completely over, in 3-4 years.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:02 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill618 View Post
Well he is finally getting the message.

Extrapolating a trend out a couple of months is reasonable. A year is not. Then again you have to warn your client that we may be about to see another 25% year or more.

Shades of 2004. Note that another 20% appreciation will take more than 50% of the underwater homes into positive territory.

Kind of like watching a train wreck from a distance is it not?

Old 03-17-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

Extrapolating a trend out a couple of months is reasonable. A year is not. Then again you have to warn your client that we may be about to see another 25% year or more.

Shades of 2004. Note that another 20% appreciation will take more than 50% of the underwater homes into positive territory.

My numbers were a guesstimate based on my house. Up 20% to lift 50% of houses out of negative equity would go a long way to bringing things back to normal.

Don't give him too much of a hard time, Lebo did call 2012 as a good year. Also, the stuff I saw in my house hunt was nuts. If we are at fair market value soon I would think that the effects of low interest rates would abate.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvnyc View Post

"Give me a break. The guy who decides he doesn't need more than 2 hours of sleep a night and starts shoving coke up his nose to achieve that outcome may indeed produce more work with less sleep and appear to be more productive."

Whatever. Works for me.

Old 03-17-2013, 11:24 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,828,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post

A train wreck from a distance?

2004 almost 10 years ago and there is a lot of inflation under the bridge. Plenty of houses are still selling BELOW their replacement value, not even considering land costs.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:45 AM

2,719 posts, read 3,490,637 times
Here we go again.

Nevada's foreclosure starts soar 334 percent in February | Las Vegas Review-Journal

Old 03-18-2013, 08:08 AM

1,631 posts, read 3,951,480 times
Keep in mind this housing market inventory is being controlled by the banks that are claiming ab284 has forced them to hold back inventory. Which is a bunch of rubbish, the banks started laying off people that work in the banks during the crash and would spout that they didn't have enough employees to do the job to help distressed home owners.

The banks have been foreclosing and bundling the homes again to Hedge funds that have agreed not to sell the properties from 3 to 5 yrs depending on the agreements and those Hedge funds are putting renters in them. There is so much more to the story of what is really going on that it's like an onion you have to peel down the layers to find out what's really there.

You may or may not have heard about hoa's selling liens they have to properties to investors. This isn't a deal that either the ordinary small investor wants to be caught up in or the renter looking to rent a home. The danger of losing the money spent on the investment and additional money to get out could be more than what the investor can afford. And the tenant runs the risk of being evicted soon after they have moved in or told to move without allot of notice after renting for a year or more.

This is definitely a case of buyer and tenant beware.

Shrewd investors snap up HOA liens, rent out houses

http://www.reviewjournal.com/business/housing/shrewd-investors-snap-hoa-liens-rent-out-houses

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas