Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 10:27 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,548,972 times

Advertisements

Calculated on http://www.building-cost.net/CompMatrix.asp for Las Vegas, Nevada. A standard 2000 sqft house with no fireplace and a 400 sqft garage.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
Calculated on http://www.building-cost.net/CompMatrix.asp for Las Vegas, Nevada. A standard 2000 sqft house with no fireplace and a 400 sqft garage.
The labor cost alone is about what I paid for my home. Not including equipment, materials and plenty of upgrades. Plus I have more square footage. Did I get a deal or what?

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Old 04-24-2013, 11:26 AM

244 posts, read 332,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVicsezhowdy View Post
Grab your Wall Street bag o' cash (!?!)

Las Vegas Real Estate Boom - YouTube
They’re trying to institutionalize the single-family rental market, subjecting it to the demands of investors rather than the market, I cannot see that ending well.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVicsezhowdy View Post
Grab your Wall Street bag o' cash (!?!)

Las Vegas Real Estate Boom - YouTube
The textbook definition of a bubble consists of speculation chasing an appreciating asset.

The speculative boom has returned, the big run-up in prices in Vegas could collapse as demand collapses, depressing prices and putting the recovery in jeopardy. Any economic downturn would increase rental vacancies and send this entire market reeling. We may not only have a bubble, but already the beginnings of a bust.

If they begin securitizing the rental revenue, watch out! That's the method they used with mortgage-backed securities to ramp up capital in the bubble years.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 AM

7,112 posts, read 13,151,736 times
[mod cut-- off topic]
Back to my LV deal of the decade...

It's like I hired some construction contractors for to build a 2000 sqft home for $125K in labor cost. For that price they threw in $280K+ worth of building materials with a little premium stuff on top. Then threw in free land to build on, 200 extra feet of living space, and found someone nice enough to let them use all equipment needed for free.

The owner before me went through the complete opposite. He paid $100K over the average cost to build in 07.

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x

Last edited by observer53; 04-24-2013 at 12:57 PM..

Old 04-24-2013, 11:41 AM

10,864 posts, read 16,985,364 times
And I paid $100K more than I should have, because I bought in 2007. Still beats renting.

I'm at the point where housing bubbles make no difference. I have houses. I live in one. I rent the others. They go up. They go down. Doesn't really matter to me until I want to sell them. And even then, it doesn't really matter because if housing prices are depressed, they're depressed everywhere. I can sell my underpriced houses and go buy underpriced houses elsewhere. And if they're overpriced, I can sell my overpriced houses here and buy overpriced houses elsewhere.

Using "the bubble" as an excuse for financial stagnation is just that -- an excuse.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by von949 View Post
The labor cost alone is about what I paid for my home. Not including equipment, materials and plenty of upgrades. Plus I have more square footage. Did I get a deal or what?

Motorola DynaTAC 8000x
I'm sure you got a deal and I am happy for you brother.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoopLV View Post
And I paid $100K more than I should have, because I bought in 2007. Still beats renting.

I'm at the point where housing bubbles make no difference. I have houses. I live in one. I rent the others. They go up. They go down. Doesn't really matter to me until I want to sell them. And even then, it doesn't really matter because if housing prices are depressed, they're depressed everywhere. I can sell my underpriced houses and go buy underpriced houses elsewhere. And if they're overpriced, I can sell my overpriced houses here and buy overpriced houses elsewhere.

Using "the bubble" as an excuse for financial stagnation is just that -- an excuse.
Hi Scoop,

I did the calculations for an individual who bought in 2007 and for one who rented from 07-13 and then purchased with whatever money he would have saved by not paying down a mortgage for the house you had used as your hypothetical. What the numbers showed that if interest rates being equal between both parties the renter came out slightly ahead in the tune of 25k after both individuals paid off their home loan after 15 years. It seems you got lucky as your house is only 25% underwater at the peak as opposed to the rest of the valley where we're still 50% underwater. So in your case you're right, just stick it out and goodluck.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:08 PM

I am trying to address what is occurring NOW, as in "Current Update on the LV Real Estate Market"
Why continue to post these inane and irrelevant comments?
Besides, if what you say is true and you don't really care why are you so vocal? Fear?

Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,792,180 times
I would think the build estimate above is reasonable for a one off. But The serial build guys are a lot better than that. Astoria at its peak was able to build for under $50 per SF. That would indicate a cost of $100,000 plus land plus builder markup. Perhaps half the one off estimate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas