Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 08:24 AM

307 posts, read 928,000 times

Advertisements

Mod note:

We have deleted the first part to this thread as there were a huge number of copyright issues that were edited or removed. Because of the massive number of posts that were removed with subsequent posts orphaned, large portions of the 100+ page thread became disjointed and had lost its continuity. Therefore, I've split this to make a new thread beginning from February 28, 2008 forward with the previous portion of the thread deleted.

PLEASE ...DO NOT copy-and-paste copyrighted articles!!!
Most articles found on the internet by news agencies, and the like, are copyrighted. It's not acceptable on this forum to copy-and-paste the entire article, especially without a link. If you are posting a link to an article, no more than TWO sentences are to be quoted.

There are also other copyrighted items such as images (photos, pictures, graphs, charts, etc.) that are found on the internet which are copyrighted. Another prime example of copyrighted material are song lyrics and poems that are the property of others. All these items should not be copied-and-pasted in their original form. Any photos or pictures that are not yours should not be transferred or attached to a post. Special references/citings must be made, too, when re-posting content from wikipedia.com. Please read their terms for details.

In most cases, you can use/copy copyrighted materials for your OWN USE but, again, it's not acceptable to copy-and-paste or re-publish any type of copyrighted material in its original form to a post on City-Data forums. Those of you who participate on other forums here on City-Data.com know that all moderators are on the watch for this as the administrators here are quite concerned about legal ramifications of misuse of such material. Whether you agree or disagree with the legality of "fair use" or any other arguments that might pertain to your right to repost copyrighted material, it is not up for disucssion. This is our Administrator's request and since he is the owner of this site, we all must abide by his wishes or not participate.

If you have questions whether something is copyrghted, you shouldn't post it in its original state. We should all endeavor to post original content. That means, post in your own words or thoughts and transfer or attach only what is yours ...i.e. your own photos, etc.

To clarify, you can post a link to an article, a photo, a picture, a chart, a graph, a poem, a song lyric, etc. ...just do not re-post a copyrighted item in its original form. Using the "IMG" feature on City-Data Forums to transfer an image to your post should be from your own account at a photo hosting/sharing site and not transfered directly from a URL of a site that does not allow such transfers.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. Carry on and have fun.

--'rocco

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________

16 OF THE TOP 20 FORECLOSURE ZIP CODES NATIONALLY ARE IN VEGAS!

ECONOMICROT

Last edited by scirocco22; 03-02-2008 at 07:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM

59 posts, read 261,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEPNYC View Post
16 OF THE TOP 20 FORECLOSURE ZIP CODES NATIONALLY ARE IN VEGAS!

ECONOMICROT
Even more good news: Despite the fed's cuts in Jan, the mortgage interest rates are climbing back up. How is this getting better? More foreclosures yet the interest rates are moving up. These foreclosures aren't exactly move-in condition properties, so people on the lower end will need financing at higher interest rates, plus tighter lending criteria, plus $$$ for repairs. I'm looking for a positive sign but don't see it.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:25 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooven View Post
Even more good news: Despite the fed's cuts in Jan, the mortgage interest rates are climbing back up. How is this getting better? More foreclosures yet the interest rates are moving up. These foreclosures aren't exactly move-in condition properties, so people on the lower end will need financing at higher interest rates, plus tighter lending criteria, plus $$$ for repairs. I'm looking for a positive sign but don't see it.
Contrary to popular belief, the fed funds rate has absolutely nothing to do with mortgage rates. The fed funds rate is the overnight rate at which banks lend money to one another. Mortgage rates are determined solely by mortgage backed securities, on A paper loans particularly the FNMA 30 yr 5.5% bond, which has gone down $3 since the end of January pushing the yield over 5% . As investors pull their money out of bonds, the price of the bonds go down to spur more investment. As such, the yields go up, concurrently rates go up with it. So if you had $100,000 to invest, would you go anywhere near mortgage backed securities right now? Keep in mind also that when I purchased my first home in late 2001, I got in with an FHA loan at 8.5%, which was pretty good back then. Too many people are consumed with the mirage of low rates, they will very likely not hit the 40 year lows that were seen a few years ago. Cheap credit is gone and is not coming back. IMO that may be a very good thing as it will help people to realize the true cost of ownership.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:53 PM

18 posts, read 105,835 times
Also, many ARMs are tied to the LIBOR rate, not the fed rate.

Old 02-29-2008, 10:57 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Default Past the Bottom - Maybe...

February is done. Volume is up over 10% from January. Inventory is dropping slowly. But it is dropping.

And get this. The median is up. Not much. but up. And the average is up a good bit.

And the pendings continue to grow..Fast.

"Happy days are here again"...well not quite...But getting close.

If the present trend continues we will likely cross over last year in April or worse case in June.

Note that this deals with Las Vegas...and not with National RE. RE is Local.

And this is happening with all those awful foreclosures clotting up the market.

"Happy days are here again"... Getting close

Old 02-29-2008, 11:12 PM

29 posts, read 130,559 times
I think the reason that prices are up is because buying a foreclosure is hard to stomach. As a result, the best condition homes are selling. Unfortunately, that doesn't get the junk off the market.

Old 02-29-2008, 11:17 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpedF22 View Post
I think the reason that prices are up is because buying a foreclosure is hard to stomach. As a result, the best condition homes are selling. Unfortunately, that doesn't get the junk off the market.

Nope - what is selling is all the junk. The good stuff sits there. Weird huh?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:15 AM

66 posts, read 327,075 times
Personally I would rather buy a $110/sqft piece of "junk" than a similar house in a similar area that has cheap cosmetic upgrades and is going for $150/sqft. It really does not take that much money to replace carpet, do touch up paint, even get some updated counter tops, etc.
Out of curiosity, what is "good stuff"?

Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
there are still "diamonds in the rough" available with the bank owned... heck my house i bought in Pavona estates.. was move in condition and the previous owner put terrazzo tile everywhere (all 3 floors) .. yes overkill but it looks great... at a cost of $60,000 for the tile and install..

Old 03-01-2008, 12:26 PM

29 posts, read 130,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
Nope - what is selling is all the junk. The good stuff sits there. Weird huh?
I disagree. Once again, I think it depends on the market segment you're considering. I've been watching the $400k+ market in Club Aliante and 89138. The homes we've seen that are in good condition and priced relatively reasonably are moving in that segment. The foreclosures in poor shape aren't moving, and the homes in good shape that are listed at 2005 prices aren't moving.

I don't know much about other segments or even other locations in the valley. But the locations I mentioned have some pretty interesting things going on relative to the action between 2002-2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas