Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 08:35 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,580,255 times

Advertisements

It's kind of a toss-up.

If you buy a home built before the 80s, it will have insulation problems. Now that can be fixed in many cases with an infusion of funds to replace the existing insulation, at least under the roof and replacing the AC with a modern unit. Unfortunately, the house my dad bought in 1962 had electric wall heaters and a swamp cooler with just one vent straight down into the living room--pretty hard to do anything about that.

On the other hand, if you buy a home post 80s, especially homes built between 85 and 95, you risk the haphazard way they slapped up houses in those days due to the huge influx of people into the valley. The home I now live in, built in 89, has studs with inconsistent spacing. Some are 10" between studs, some are 12" and some are 16". Some of the studs have a space of 1-3" of empty space between the inner wall board and the stud. I don't know who the original builder was, but he certainly didn't want to take time getting things right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 01:25 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I am a fan of older homes too. I tried to buy in Paradise Palms but no luck. My home was built in the 70's. Power was cheap and the electric bill was probably $30 in the summer when the AC was on 24x7. Insulation wasn't a priority. So far I have done the attic insulation, replaced the AC unit, replaced the windows, and I have 2 more doors to replace in the future.

What made the most difference was the windows. The house suddenly got really quiet!

I have my reservations about all those homes built in the boom times. They were thrown up so fast and so many were built at the same time. I am sure they have their issues too!

Old 03-16-2017, 11:33 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
Mature shade trees found in older subdivisions will help tremendously.

Old 03-17-2017, 03:58 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I would love to find a Mexican style home in Las Vegas, but I don't whether any exists that are anywhere affordable.

I'm talking all concrete construction, roof and all!

Old 03-17-2017, 05:35 AM

638 posts, read 593,525 times
My home was built in 1985. The home inspection showed insulation in the roof as a positive, since I'd be getting an inspection I'd just see what he says.

The things that I found that may or may not be an issue, is that there are less power sockets then I'd like. And that I have one HVAC unit that is original to the house and will need replacing. I have 3 HVAC units, so there are so huge bills brewing in the future... Well worth checking what you're getting with the house since the temperatures are not kind to equipment.

Old 03-17-2017, 09:49 AM

23,206 posts, read 29,018,601 times
I have my HVAC checked every year, before summer, the unit I have is about 18 years old now, and I would like to keep repairing it, rather than buying a new one.

The guy who repaired my unit last year gave me a scare when he told me a number of these newer units aren't as reliable as the older ones, they break down more often. True or false? Anyone know?

Old 03-17-2017, 10:06 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I would love to find a Mexican style home in Las Vegas, but I don't whether any exists that are anywhere affordable.

I'm talking all concrete construction, roof and all!
I found one on Tumbleweed and there are several in the area. It's in 89121. I tried to buy it but it was 2008 and the owners had it on the market for years at 2006 prices. Very cool house.

Looked at some in Mexico and that construction is common there especially in hurricane prone areas. These were close to Cancun in QR. They were only @30K. Wish I would have bought one!

Old 03-17-2017, 10:14 AM

638 posts, read 593,525 times
Quote:
I have my HVAC checked every year, before summer, the unit I have is about 18 years old now, and I would like to keep repairing it, rather than buying a new one.

The guy who repaired my unit last year gave me a scare when he told me a number of these newer units aren't as reliable as the older ones, they break down more often. True or false? Anyone know?
I had a guy out to look at something that wasnt working, typical, it all worked fine when he came to look. But while he was there he looked at the older one, replaced a couple of corroded wires and some kind of circuit board and said it should be fine. So I guess like most things keep on top of it, and it should be fine. -My old one is original to the house, so 32 years old!

Old 03-17-2017, 12:43 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextguy View Post
I'd hate to get a good deal on a home and then have to spend a fortune in the summer keeping it cool or warm in winter.
What do you expect to pay for electricity for cooling in the summer? How much is "a fortune" to you?

Old 03-17-2017, 12:48 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,857,850 times
Quote:
If I could afford it, I'd move to Huntridge or Paradise Palms!
Where are these? Just for fun I'd like drive through looking at the house fronts (assuming it is not gated).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas