Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 07:16 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,153,055 times

Advertisements

Having survived co-op city in the South Bronx in the 80s. I agree we don't really have ghettos here. Like a lot of big cities do.

I tell people it's a patchwork like a quilt. Beautiful homes across the street is the hood three blocks later, it's nice again.

It sure makes scouting out places to live exciting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 09:07 AM

66 posts, read 65,021 times
To be geographically correct, Co-op City is in Baychester, North East, not South Bronx. Must've been a different housing development, but surviving SB back then.....I'm glad you are still with us!

How is your house hunting going?

Old 03-20-2017, 11:57 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I agree. As soon as an area gets to be older, it fills up with low rent homes and apts. that rent to a lot of low life people.

BTW: The Westside is not the same as northwest Las Vegas, or the western area of Las Vegas which is Summerlin. The Westside is oldtown. It was laid out west of the RR tracks before Las Vegas was auctioned off in 1905. But the railroad decided to put the developer out of business and Las Vegas became the area on he east side of the tracks, and due to segregation, Westside became the only area where blacks could buy homes. Remember, Las Vegas was considered the “Mississippi of the West," until 1960, but it really continued until the 1970s as far as housing.

Now the Westside has expanded all the way to Rainbow to the west, and beyond Craig Rd to the north. At the risk of sounding prejudiced, it is predominately a black neighborhood, with a lot of it being taken over by poor Hispanics. But as my wife says, our poor neighborhoods look like an ordinary neighborhood in Houston where she came from. She says we don't know what a poor neighborhood is.

American Experience | Las Vegas: An Unconventional History | People & Events | PBS
Not really true any more. The triangle formed by Rainbow and west is now plurality Hispanic as are the areas to the north of 95 west of the spaghetti bowl. The black population is much more dispersed though the triangle still has a substantial Black population. The populations along Craig Road west of 15 are majority white, high Hispanic and smaller population of Blacks. Becomes very White as you go west.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:44 PM

15,850 posts, read 14,479,382 times
No self defense shooting is going to happen at 50 yards. It's likely going to be at 7 yards (think across a room distance) or shorter. In point of fact, if you're shooting at someone at 50 yards, you're going to have a hard time justifying the shooting legally, on the basis you could have gotten away without shooting (AFAIK NV doesn't have a "Stand Your Ground" law.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorphilips View Post
Training is everything, remember that. Just cause you carry a pistol doesn't mean you can hit center mass at 50 yards while running with your weak hand pulling the trigger.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:25 PM

You should train for scenarios going from the most likely to the least likely. You're scenario is out at the least likely end of the spectrum.

Vastly more likely is that some skell is going to try to come up to you and mug you, you'll be in a store when a robbery kicks off, or someone will break into your house and you'll have to deal with that. In these cases, it's much more likely that you'll need hand to hand skills to open up separation from the attacker to get your gun into action, than that you'll have to take a multiple double digit yard shot.

This is a little third hand, but read this thread. There's some good info, which obviously hasn't gotten to you previously

http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/...-distance.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorphilips View Post
That mindset is exactly why people should train at all distances, 50 yards isn't that far away especially hitting a human sized threat. I'm not saying a football field away, but try to max out your iron sight abilities and know what hold-over works to hit at 50 yards consistently.

It's best to be proficient with every aspect of combat shooting, it might just save your life or others around you.

Imagine you see a crazed gunman opening fire on a crowd (or your family) at 40 yards away, would you run closer to him before shooting because you're not proficient at longer shots? Let's say you panic and decide to take those shots, without training, you will miss and might kill others as well.

Just remember Police won't always be there to save you and yours. I'd rather be judged by 12, than carried by 6.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:19 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz123 View Post
I agree. As soon as an area gets to be older, it fills up with low rent homes and apts. that rent to a lot of low life people.
Certainly not the case with Huntridge or Paradise Palms or many areas out here in East Central!

It was once said: the suburbian areas are our future slums!

And that's happening clear across the country!

Old 03-20-2017, 10:43 PM

I'm not doubting the benefit of training. I agree with you on that. The question is what type, and what are you training for.

I've never seen combat pistol training that goes beyond 25 yards. Most pistol ranges only go to 25 yards. And even that's the outer limit. Most of what I'm seeing is done at 10 yards or less.

Old 03-22-2017, 06:58 AM

14 posts, read 20,757 times
Default No bias

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I have stated my theory...but every time I do I get told how "paranoid" or "racist" I am.

ONCE AGAIN: It's Section 8 and squatters !

No, it may not be politically correct to state that, but there is a huge correlation there!

Lots of homes were bought during the downturn by foreign or out-of-state investors and they have attracted a large number of people on Section 8 rental assistance. As prejudiced and racist as it might sound, many people on Section 8 are not properly monitored as often as they should be, and they bring in a negative element. While the sweet ol' church-going granny on Section 8 may not be riff-raff herself, chances are she has a daughter/son/neice/nephew living with her that is!

I have seen, firsthand, crime go up (robberies, shootings, muggings) when an area starts accepting Section 8 in high numbers. Soon after, squatters tend to follow and that can make life miserable for a home owner too!

My cousin lives in Henderson and her husband works for Metro. They have had to move twice now due to declining neighborhood conditions being caused by Section 8 renters. Her husband directly blames Section 8 for the uptick in crime all throughout Las Vegas Valley, but of course, nobody can say this publicly without being politically crucified or having their job stripped from them.
I'm African American and don't think your opinion is racist unless it was a PC way of interchanging a buzzword Ex. Section 8, urban, ghetto, hood for race. As a homeowner, I wouldn't embrace a Section 8 rented in my neighborhood. As an investor - I'll kiss you with open arms. I'm seeing sub 200k listings with tenants in place paying 1800+ monthly with long term leases wanting to stay. Straight turn key but nothing I'd expect your typical 9-5er in Vegas would rent for.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:09 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolcopacetic View Post
I'm African American and don't think your opinion is racist unless it was a PC way of interchanging a buzzword Ex. Section 8, urban, ghetto, hood for race. As a homeowner, I wouldn't embrace a Section 8 rented in my neighborhood. As an investor - I'll kiss you with open arms. I'm seeing sub 200k listings with tenants in place paying 1800+ monthly with long term leases wanting to stay. Straight turn key but nothing I'd expect your typical 9-5er in Vegas would rent for.
Section 8 typically pays up to 2/3rds or 3/4ths of the market rent, so, the reality is that the voucher holder is only paying about $600 a month (out of the $1,800 you mention) in rent -- tops!

And, no, my comment wasn't implying race, but it seems that everything these days gets made into a race issue. So, my defenses are automatically up. People on Section 8 (who aren't elderly or disabled) have given that program a really awful reputation.

Hearing "Section 8" mentioned as a possibility in a residential area will strike terror in your heart if you happen to be a live-in home owner, and deservedly so!

Old 03-23-2017, 07:15 AM

555 posts, read 775,387 times
The Housing Choice Voucher AKA section 8 program does not accept new applicants and there's been a wait-list for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas