Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:33 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,243,821 times

Advertisements

If you use Nextdoor, you will see a lot of paranoia but also some useful heads up. Lots of posts about mail theft, who is this at my door/driving around the neighborhood. Always shake my head at people surprised their car was broken into. 99.9999% of the time their doors were unlocked. Thieves work in groups going from car to car in neighborhoods looking for unlocked vehicles.

No one is immune from crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 09:41 AM

792 posts, read 1,297,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
If you use Nextdoor, you will see a lot of paranoia but also some useful heads up. Lots of posts about mail theft, who is this at my door/driving around the neighborhood. Always shake my head at people surprised their car was broken into. 99.9999% of the time their doors were unlocked. Thieves work in groups going from car to car in neighborhoods looking for unlocked vehicles.

No one is immune from crime.
I would love to see a factual statistical analysis supporting your 99.9% figure. Auto theft has gone high tech my friend...a locked door is simply a minor inconvenience.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:32 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,517,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FML157 View Post
The Housing Choice Voucher AKA section 8 program does not accept new applicants and there's been a wait-list for years.
Even if the local housing authority is not "accepting" new applicants and they have a wait-list, they still have to accept voucher holders who decide to "port-in" from other places.

Here's how it works:

You go to a county where the waiting list is open and you apply. They accept you and give you the voucher. You must stay in said county for one year before you are allowed to "port out" and move to another locale. The federal government, through legislation, made Section 8 "portable" -- meaning that you don't have to stay in one area once you have your voucher for one year. After the first year, you can either stay or "port out" to another place.

So, if you're a voucher holder who happens to live in Oakland, CA and you decide you want to move to Las Vegas, NV; all you have to do is go on a well-known Section 8 listing website (I cannot post it here due to TOS) and look for a place, then, once you've found your place, you call the leasing agency and they are more than happy to take your voucher and turn it in to the housing authority nearby. So, you -- in essence -- can bring your housing voucher from California to Las Vegas and your leasing agent will turn it in to the Clark County Housing Authority ...no questions asked!

I wanted to see how easy the process was so I called a leasing agency and acted like I was a voucher holder and they explained it to me.

It's interesting (and sort of scary, to be honest) how easy it can be to destroy a neighborhood if you happen to be a careless, greedy landlord.

Last edited by kttam186290; 03-23-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-23-2017, 04:55 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,239,793 times
There are a grand total of 10,000 vouchers in Clark County. The vast majority will be in low cost neighborhoods. Another big segment is the elderly who generally pose no problem to a neighborhood.,

So you are talking about something like a quarter of one percent of the homes in Las Vegas.

And to port in you do have to find a place with open Section 8, and live there for a year. You really have to want it bad if you look at the places where Section 8 is open.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:35 PM

110 posts, read 103,639 times
Even in my inlaws rich summerlin community someone smashed the windows out of the car at xmas to steal wine left on the back seat. No way to escape crime.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
I would love to see a factual statistical analysis supporting your 99.9% figure. Auto theft has gone high tech my friend...a locked door is simply a minor inconvenience.

Join Nextdoor and read it's really very simple. Goes like this:

Them: Beware! my car (Or Garage) was broken into last night!

Me: was your car (Or garage) open?

Them: Yes.

Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post

It's a smash and dash/grab and go. They take whatever they can. People are literally posting their videos on nextdoor showing small groups of people roaming neighborhoods going from car to car.

I do not feel sorry for anyone that it happens to. If you have a garage, use it and keep it closed. You leave your doors unlocked well, at least don't leave valuables.

The Willows in Summerlin has a lot of problems. Their mailbox thefts which was posted on Nextdoor, made it on the news.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:03 AM

8,336 posts, read 4,500,184 times
Not that this is a solution, but a friend told me nearly everyone in his neighborhood had their car broken into. The locked cars got a broken window and lost their stereo/belongings. The unlocked cars also lost their stereos but at least they didn't get a broken window.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:35 AM

110 posts, read 132,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
It's a smash and dash/grab and go. They take whatever they can. People are literally posting their videos on nextdoor showing small groups of people roaming neighborhoods going from car to car.

I do not feel sorry for anyone that it happens to. If you have a garage, use it and keep it closed. You leave your doors unlocked well, at least don't leave valuables.

The Willows in Summerlin has a lot of problems. Their mailbox thefts which was posted on Nextdoor, made it on the news.

Really? So if you happen to make a mistake one night by NOT closing your garage door, you have to right to be violated and your personal belongings stolen?

Thieve have the RIGHT to rob you?

RIDICULOUS SOCIAL COMMENTARY

Old 03-24-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam500 View Post

Really? So if you happen to make a mistake one night by NOT closing your garage door, you have to right to be violated and your personal belongings stolen?

Thieve have the RIGHT to rob you?

RIDICULOUS SOCIAL COMMENTARY
Let me welcome you to the real world. Why don't people just leave a big sign on their unlocked cars and open garages with "Help yourself" If you are that trusting and naive don't be surprised when you get burned. Don't make yourself an easy target. And where did I state anyone has the right to be robbed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas