Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2017, 06:57 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times

Advertisements

Motel owner Ilan Gorodezki is behind the plan to develop a 15 story Apt. Tower with 370 more loft-style apartments at the site of his Super 8 and Thunderbird motels on Las Vegas Blvd., between Charleston & Oakey. The city council voted 5-2 in favor of it.

Property owners in the adjacent John S. Park neighborhood, which falls within one of the city's few historic districts, voiced concerns Wednesday about the building height, increased traffic and potential change in the character of the neighborhood, that it would create a "sea change" for the area.

A city staff report notes that while the property falls within the John S. Park Neighborhood Plan, which recommends the neighborhood association work with city officials to impose a 5-story limit for buildings along Las Vegas Blvd, "no development standards to limit building heights have ever been brought forwards."

I believe this was the same Nimby group that opposed Stupak's Titanic project, not wanting to look out at a 250 foot iceberg everyday. Now that I can understand! Although in summer, it might have been "cool" to have around!

I visit SkyscraperPage.com, occasionally, and they have compilations of what's being proposed, built, opposed, in all the major cities across the country, so I know where the Nimby's are the most troublesome, anti-density, anti-development, and no city can beat Santa Monica for Nimby madness!

A 5 story height limit on LV Blvd???????????

As usual, it's the same ol', same ol' with selfish Nimby's: increased traffic problems as their biggest excuse!

What I don't understand is why it's not getting built north of Charleston, nearer to Juhl, and the 2 other high rises built during the boom times?

Units will be 500 to 1200 square feet, with rental rates of $3 a square foot, and 16,000 SF of retail space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 AM

496 posts, read 365,766 times
This guy has to be out if his mind to develop there.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:49 AM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,377 times
Not really if you've seen the proposed plans for the mixed residential building and what's going in along the symphony park area. They're building "Up" this area over the next 30 years. They have master plans from Fremont St. to the Arts District and the medical district. That entire area is going to change and some neighborhoods have come back with concerns about increased traffic and changing the area but the neon highway is going in there and will alleviate some of that. That area of town already has allotted funds for road construction with approved projects in place and studies down due to the ongoing revitalization effort that the major has been on board with for awhile. It's also part of the reason the city pitched for Raiders Stadium to be built in this area. Road construction around it and developments will be done at the same time.

I've kept my eye on this area too for the mixed use residential and retail buildings in the urban core in the event we move back and want to buy a modern contemporary luxury unit to reside in. I think the ones going in near Sympony Park have to most appeal at this time. Then Juhl and the Ogden. The Charleston and Oakey one will become another option. It will also depend on what grocery stores they get in there and where they are. Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, La Bonita, El Super, Cardenas, Albertsons, Smiths, Sprouts, Walmart 365, there's a super center off Charleston and a neighborhood market but one closer would be better.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:56 AM

23,218 posts, read 29,034,905 times
As far as the Ogden, when I recently walked my ferret around Fremont East, the music was so loud emanating from one of those bars there, I can't imagine buying a unit facing Fremont East, as I'm very sensitive to noise. Don't know if it would be any quieter in the building facing north.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:38 AM

With the Ogden I imagine they're so high up that the sounds from the street outside aren't much of an issue or they're welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Motel owner Ilan Gorodezki is behind the plan to develop a 15 story Apt. Tower with 370 more loft-style apartments at the site of his Super 8 and Thunderbird motels on Las Vegas Blvd., between Charleston & Oakey. The city council voted 5-2 in favor of it.
And for the other post that quoted me I guess I should clarify. Where the Super 8 is on Las Vegas Blvd between Charleston and Oakey.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:51 AM

15,838 posts, read 14,472,390 times
A lot of people looking to move to Vegas are looking for a upscale, high density, walkable urban neighborhood, and not finding it. The area of LVB and the surrounding blocks, between Sahara and Charleston, and maybe going further past Charleston towards downtown would perfect for this. This project would be a step in that direction.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 AM

I forgot to mention most of the people I know living in this area in those types of buildings currently are shopping at the nearby Costo and complain about the lack of grocery stores in the urban core. Also the lack of parks. Some of the master plans address these issues with walkable urban environments, plenty of shade and park like paths. They are also trying to get grocery stores down there but it's the chicken and the egg scenario of which comes first. However, everyone still needs cars to get everywhere especially for groceries down there.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
With the Ogden I imagine they're so high up that the sounds from the street outside aren't much of an issue or they're welcome.

And for the other post that quoted me I guess I should clarify. Where the Super 8 is on Las Vegas Blvd between Charleston and Oakey.
One of the worst parts of town. Why would anyone build a supermarket there? Trader Joe's? Right!

Old 04-20-2017, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
One of the worst parts of town. Why would anyone build a supermarket there? Trader Joe's? Right!
I suggest try visiting the area first and see all the progress and changes that have been made to it. It's not the worst area of town anymore. There's numerous articles on this lately as it's been the mayor's main focus for several terms.

I absolutely believe Trader Joe's and Whole Foods will come down there. As soon as more of the mixed residential projects are completed in the urban core revitalization projects. It may take 5 - 10 years though.

I believe the Symphony Park plan spans 15 years. That's the most desirable and impressive area right now to me with their plans.

The Art District spans 15 - 30 years and with the exception of First Friday it has a ways to go but some areas are looking good and they're on a roll with the plans and working with the city along main street.

The medical district spans 15 - 30 as well and they've already done a big effort in cleaning it up in the last 3 years I've been here. It's a noticeable difference and pride being taken in the area not to mention the designated expansion and medical school going in there and eventually the $100,000 research hospital. They're going to build this area up like Texas Medical Center.

There are numerous threads about all of this on here so dig in and read about it. It's coming and I'd really give the credit to Tony Hsieh (hsieh is said like shay) and his $350 million investment in the downtown project that kick started it.

Old 04-20-2017, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry Lee Gather View Post
I suggest try visiting the area first and see all the progress and changes that have been made to it. It's not the worst area of town anymore. There's numerous articles on this lately as it's been the mayor's main focus for several terms.

I absolutely believe Trader Joe's and Whole Foods will come down there. As soon as more of the mixed residential projects are completed in the urban core revitalization projects. It may take 5 - 10 years though.

I believe the Symphony Park plan spans 15 years. That's the most desirable and impressive area right now to me with their plans.

The Art District spans 15 - 30 years and with the exception of First Friday it has a ways to go but some areas are looking good and they're on a roll with the plans and working with the city along main street.

The medical district spans 15 - 30 as well and they've already done a big effort in cleaning it up in the last 3 years I've been here. It's a noticeable difference and pride being taken in the area not to mention the designated expansion and medical school going in there and eventually the $100,000 research hospital. They're going to build this area up like Texas Medical Center.

There are numerous threads about all of this on here so dig in and read about it. It's coming and I'd really give the credit to Tony Hsieh (hsieh is said like shay) and his $350 million investment in the downtown project that kick started it.
You suggest I visit the area? You know nothing about me. If the wedding chapels weren't there, it would be totally blighted. This is no man's land between the Stat and downtown. Most residents there are homeless. I guess Trader Joe's will be going after a new market. LOL. They won't even keep the one on Decatur open, and you think they'll open one on LV Blvd? You are the one that should spend some time in that Ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas