Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 AM

209 posts, read 263,473 times

Advertisements

I own a home in CA and NV, but officially live in CA. I'm going to put the CA home up for sale in a month and permanently move to my NV home. Within a week after my move I will obtain my Nevada driver's license and make the permanent transition from a CA resident to a NV resident.

I'm looking for input as to the best strategy for buying a new car. I want to trade in my current vehicle, which is registered in CA, for a new vehicle. One option is to do this transaction here in CA a few days before I move over to NV and just have the dealer register it as a NV vehicle (or provide the paperwork for me to take it to the NV DMV to complete the registration). I think NV gives 30 days from the day I take occupancy in the state to obtain a driver's license and register all vehicles in NV. Is anyone aware of any issues this might create? I would essentially own this new vehicle here in CA for about a week before I move to NV, and once in NV I would make an appointment at the DMV to obtain a state license and register the new vehicle per NV law and the agreement with the dealership here in CA where the vehicle was purchased.

The second option would be to wait until I move and trade in my current vehicle at a Nevada dealership. My concern is that since my car is registered in CA I would have to first take it to the DMV and pay to have it registered in NV, obtain NV plates, AND THEN take it to the dealership and trade it in. Also, to register it in NV I would have to switch over my car insurance to NV insurance, and then update my insurance again once I get the new car. Seems like a waste of money and time. If I bought the new car in CA I could call my insurance company and tell them I need my new car insured and at the same time tell them I am now in NV so that they could make both updates at the same time. By the time I finish the move to NV my insurance would already be switched over and ready to show the DMV.

Any input would help. Seems to me that buying the vehicle in CA just before the move makes the most sense, but I'm not sure of other factors/laws that I am not aware of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 PM

2,413 posts, read 2,028,087 times
I don't think a CA dealer can provide you with NV registration. You would need a "One Trip Permit" issued in CA for the trip to NV. That would preclude driving the car for a week in CA. If you show up at a NV DMV without any form of registration they can fine you.

Old 04-20-2017, 03:45 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Life will be simpler if you wait until you are here in NV and then do the complete transaction with a dealership here.

Old 04-20-2017, 04:12 PM

469 posts, read 494,037 times
If you can get a deal in CA on a new car compared to NV. Go for it. I'm for sure your already aware about how much registration fees, no surprises about that.

Old 04-20-2017, 05:48 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
Technically you're supposed to register your car in NV even if you live in another state. But it's difficult for police departments here to keep people honest. Register your car in CA, it's cheaper and so is the insurance.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,494 times
BUY IN CA.

There is so much competition in California, you can get a far better deal.

If I lived in CA, I would consider leasing. Check out the forums at leasehacker, even if your dead set on buying, go and check it out regardless. There is a lot of discussion on getting a good deal and what deals are available that directly applies to buying.

In NV, getting a good deal on buying (and therefore leasing) is very very difficult.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:19 PM

295 posts, read 362,266 times
I know couple of Nevada residents that bought new cars from California because they could not get similar deals here in Nevada.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas