Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2017, 12:44 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Someday we will all be driving electric cars and there will be no oil to be changed. The few collectors that hold onto their oil and gas burning cars are generally the type that do their own minor (and sometimes major) repairs and or oil changes etc. These people would never subject themselves to the shady business practices of Jiffy Lube, today or in the future.
There still are other oils and fluids needing to be changed. Even a Tesla has a traditional radiator for drivetrain cooling, there are power brakes and steering, a transaxle with oil, etc. Most EVs have a transmission with transmission fluid.

So, no motor oil, but there is still lubrication maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 12:49 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
There still are other oils and fluids needing to be changed. Even a Tesla has a traditional radiator for drivetrain cooling, there are power brakes and steering, a transaxle with oil, etc. Most EVs have a transmission with transmission fluid.

So, no motor oil, but there is still lubrication maintenance.
All true and there are various filters as well... but the maintenance is at much longer intervals.

Old 06-18-2017, 02:34 PM

117 posts, read 106,515 times
If you are in a line of work...especially if you are just starting out, where it would be a good idea to ask yourself...."can my job be done by a robot or a smart monkey?". Then, take some time and reevaluate your career goals.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
All true and there are various filters as well... but the maintenance is at much longer intervals.
Very true.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:24 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,673 times
Here is Tesla's Maintenance Plan (Since you called it out specifically). And no, Tesla's do not have traditional radiators etc. I also include the prices for these Tesla services because plenty of owners do not think it is great value for the money and therefore NEVER have any of these regularly scheduled services performed (even with over 100,000 miles on their Model S) as they really are more optional than required.

https://www.tesla.com/support/maintenance-plans

Have you ever looked under the hood of a Tesla. It is all storage but for the cabin air filter and the wiper fluid reservoir. We keep a bucket with cleaning supplies in our "Frunk" so that I can give it a quick wipe down or wash the windows while we are at SuperChargers.
Attached Thumbnails
"65 percent of jobs in Las Vegas...predicted to be automatable by 2025"-capture.jpg  

Old 06-19-2017, 10:20 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,341,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C_A_Braun View Post
Here is Tesla's Maintenance Plan (Since you called it out specifically). And no, Tesla's do not have traditional radiators etc. I also include the prices for these Tesla services because plenty of owners do not think it is great value for the money and therefore NEVER have any of these regularly scheduled services performed (even with over 100,000 miles on their Model S) as they really are more optional than required.

https://www.tesla.com/support/maintenance-plans

Have you ever looked under the hood of a Tesla. It is all storage but for the cabin air filter and the wiper fluid reservoir. We keep a bucket with cleaning supplies in our "Frunk" so that I can give it a quick wipe down or wash the windows while we are at SuperChargers.
Somewhat of a semantic argument. It clearly has fluids and radiators. It does not have the big radiator under the hood.

I would not think ignoring the service is wise. Sure you can go 20,000 on an ICE without changing the oil. But it is not a good idea. Fluids degrade and pick up contaminants.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:50 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,420,673 times
You and I are on the same page there, for sure. I prepaid the 4 year / 50000 plan even though 50000 will likely be just about 2 years for us. But I am a stickler for scheduled maintenance on all my cars. But it seems to be about 50/50 on the various Tesla forums when it comes to who is getting the regular maintenance done and who is not.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:29 PM

15,829 posts, read 14,469,933 times
Okay people auto maintenance was just an example of something that could possibly be automated. This does not need to become the care care thread.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:02 PM

3,475 posts, read 3,277,046 times
I kept thinking about someone mentioning how hospital jobs can be automated.

Then came across this mobile clinic concept of the future.
https://www.facebook.com/NowThisFutu...0093398031834/

And there was also this but we've seen that in telemedicine and on Glee when Artie needed to get around.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RD2zRH8Xxgc

Old 07-06-2017, 10:01 AM

15,829 posts, read 14,469,933 times
On the other end of the job automation spectrum...

Miso Robotics is bringing artificial intelligence to restaurants
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas