Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:55 AM

2,469 posts, read 3,259,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish4evr View Post
Purebred dogs bite too ! Keep in mind, and I am sure you know, not everyone can afford one of those canines as you describe (which too come with their own set of issues).

Having been on both sides of the coin, there is a definite place and need for rescue and placement programs. In what you suggest, every mixed breed dog should be euthanized...

It is that "reputation" that provokes many into considering a "pit"...a cheap, watch dog without ever understanding the consequences of their lineage. Enter the "paranoia" factor !

One last thought, depending on the breed, I would bet I could show you 10 dogs, with only one having "pit" lineage...and you could not tell me which one it was ....
Of course any dog can bite.

I couldn't care less how many pictures you showed me. I'm not interested in any type of pit bull or pit bull mix, Staffordshire etc. I'm not into those dogs at all. If I was going to get a Staffordshire I'd get one from someone that breeds and shows. How many of those do you run into? Pit bulls aren't even a breed there is no quality control. I also don't like chows, sharpeis, cane corso, presa canarios, dogo argentino I could go on forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 10:18 AM

792 posts, read 1,301,467 times
I get your point...in the course of my life I have encountered 100's of pitbulls or mix of same. There is a balance here where the "human factor" tends to control the destiny.

During the course of my life there were only three breeds that I personally elected not to work with...those being "pits"..."chows"...and "wolf/hybrids"...and the canines I imported were some of the best "working" lines in this country. Most going to law enforcement agencies !

As life passed I had observed Borders preform and quite frankly the breed fascinated me. Today both of my Borders are "rescue dogs"...There is a place and absolute need for rescue programs until such time (which will be never) when responsible owners, spay and neuter.

The "pit" is a loosely termed breed unto itself.....in many ways !

You seem to key on the "show" factor. You do realize that those breeders selectively breed specifically to satisfy a defined physical standard...sometimes negating health/emotional issues simply to meet a "standard". I dealt with some of the top European breeders...they all bred to a relatively strict standard, not for show...but for work.

I tend to be a "no kill" kinda guy regardless of lineage.

Last edited by Irish4evr; 05-16-2017 at 10:27 AM..

Old 05-16-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I get your point...in the course of my life I have encountered 100's of pitbulls or mix of same. There is a balance here where the "human factor" tends to control the destiny.

During the course of my life there were only three breeds that I personally elected not to work with...those being "pits"..."chows"...and "wolf/hybrids"...and the canines I imported were some of the best "working" lines in this country. Most going to law enforcement agencies !

As life passed I had observed Borders preform and quite frankly the breed fascinated me. Today both of my Borders are "rescue dogs"...There is a place and absolute need for rescue programs until such time (which will be never) when responsible owners, spay and neuter.

The "pit" is a loosely termed breed unto itself.....in many ways !

You seem to key on the "show" factor. You do realize that those breeders selectively breed specifically to satisfy a defined physical standard...sometimes negating health/emotional issues simply to meet a "standard". I dealt with some of the top European breeders...they all bred to a relatively strict standard, not for show...but for work.

I tend to be a "no kill" kinda guy regardless of lineage.

Yes, definitely some breeds are being ruined by ridiculous physical standards most brachycephalic breeds, German Shepherds etc.

I love Borders collies. They are intelligent dogs that a need a lot of exercise/job. Another breed that is usually picked by people that shouldn't have one. You know what breed of dog I feel like we are going to see a lot more problems with around Vegas? Belgian Malinois. I'm starting to see a lot more around and they are not for a novice dog owner.

Old 05-16-2017, 10:57 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,333,718 times
It is a judgement thing. I will again try and get another German Spitz even though I know perfectly well it is genetically a little killer...program to hunt and dispatch rodents. I however consider it a potentially dangerous dog and would not have it in a household with frequent small children.

As my wife and I age a large breed protective dog begins to have some charm...a 75 lb version of the German Spitz perhaps. But we pass on the fear we would not be able to physically control such a creature.

As an aside we have friends in the NW who actually have a domesticated wolf. The wolf is now ancient so not much of a threat...and the interesting thing in that house is a chihuahua is the alpha. The chihuahua actually eats the wolf's food while perched between the wolf's legs.

There are all kinds of canines.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:01 AM

I thought I knew dogs...until I got involved with my Borders. As you said...they require time, patience, lots of exercise...and a "job". I have had many people see my dogs work then insisting they "wanted" one...to which I say..."maybe best not".

I swear to God...one of my dogs watches the news every nite...I know they can tell time...and have a vocabulary greater than mine...amazing breed...but definitely not for everyone !

I only wish that those adopting or getting involved with that particular breed (pit) or any breed for that matter, truly understand the "true nature of the beast"....if wishes were fishes right !

Old 05-16-2017, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
It is a judgement thing. I will again try and get another German Spitz even though I know perfectly well it is genetically a little killer...program to hunt and dispatch rodents. I however consider it a potentially dangerous dog and would not have it in a household with frequent small children.

As my wife and I age a large breed protective dog begins to have some charm...a 75 lb version of the German Spitz perhaps. But we pass on the fear we would not be able to physically control such a creature.

As an aside we have friends in the NW who actually have a domesticated wolf. The wolf is now ancient so not much of a threat...and the interesting thing in that house is a chihuahua is the alpha. The chihuahua actually eats the wolf's food while perched between the wolf's legs.

There are all kinds of canines.
German Spitz are hard to find, aren't they? I only really see Kingsfield Kennels. I remember someone else on LVCDF wanting a spitz.

Old 05-16-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
I thought I knew dogs...until I got involved with my Borders. As you said...they require time, patience, lots of exercise...and a "job". I have had many people see my dogs work then insisting they "wanted" one...to which I say..."maybe best not".

I swear to God...one of my dogs watches the news every nite...I know they can tell time...and have a vocabulary greater than mine...amazing breed...but definitely not for everyone !

I only wish that those adopting or getting involved with that particular breed (pit) or any breed for that matter, truly understand the "true nature of the beast"....if wishes were fishes right !
Ha they are smart I wouldn't put it past them

Old 05-16-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dltordj View Post
Ha they are smart I wouldn't put it past them
Anyone involved with Borders is familiar with the infamous "stare". Most normal people go home to watch their dogs...I go home so my dogs can watch me...constantly studying...always trying to stay one step ahead...I could write a book about that breed !

Old 05-16-2017, 06:18 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,804,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Just know that for every animal bought at a breeder "professional" or otherwise, many innocent, amazing animals die.
Preaching to the choir

Christmas puppies always ensure there is a fresh healthy supply to the kill shelters once owners realize the costs and inconveniences that come with dogs

Old 05-16-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaSupreme View Post
Preaching to the choir

Christmas puppies always ensure there is a fresh healthy supply to the kill shelters once owners realize the costs and inconveniences that come with dogs

Most likely from Craigslist for $100 or less to free. I paid over $1k for my dog, you think I'm going to dump her at a shelter or put her on Craigslist? I also spent $1600 dollars on professional training.

blame those backyard breeders.

Last edited by Prosze; 05-16-2017 at 06:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas