Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 4,955 times

Advertisements

I am fed up my cox wifi internet started messing up first week in March I have had 2 techicans out to check the first one did not do anything one last week came out said something about a noise he heard did what he had to.

Well the one thing I am trying to ask those I speak to on livechat one said that my cordless phone was the problem I keep asking do I need to move the phone got no good answer, call they tell me they would give me preferred to make my laptop run faster.

Today I unplugged cordless phone plugged in a standard house phone was doing great until a little while ago
what in the world I know I am locked into that contract only got last May but this does not make no sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2017, 03:19 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples23 View Post
I am fed up my cox wifi internet started messing up first week in March I have had 2 techicans out to check the first one did not do anything one last week came out said something about a noise he heard did what he had to.

Well the one thing I am trying to ask those I speak to on livechat one said that my cordless phone was the problem I keep asking do I need to move the phone got no good answer, call they tell me they would give me preferred to make my laptop run faster.

Today I unplugged cordless phone plugged in a standard house phone was doing great until a little while ago
what in the world I know I am locked into that contract only got last May but this does not make no sense.
This does not make much sense. Cox is wired broadband Internet. It is not wifi. I suppose you could be getting your wifi equipment from Cox but I would not. I do use a Cox modem but that is because I also use Cox phone service.

Classically you can tell what is going on by plugging the cox modem directly into your PC. If the problem vanishes you have a wifi problem not with Cox. You can get into problems with interference on the wifi end but you normally can fix that by changing channels or the frequency utilized. I run two different frequencies one for entertainment and one for internet.

If Cox is supplying wifi equipment try getting your own. Relatively cheap stuff and gives you more control. If you are technically illiterate get Fry or Best Buy to help.

With a very few exceptions Cox is the only game in town. Century Link in general has much inferior capabilities and has notoriously bad service. There are a very few places with gigabyte service from Century Link but very rare. You cna also use a hot spot through Verizon but that is a factor of 10 less effective than Cox and expensive.

Old 03-26-2017, 06:40 PM

646 posts, read 1,157,082 times
I believe with Cox you can use cordless phones (phones where the handset(s) have no cord to the base), which is different than wifi.

As to what is wrong, I don't know.

Old 03-27-2017, 01:08 AM

110 posts, read 104,581 times
Cox has a monopoly. There is no one else.

Old 03-27-2017, 06:08 AM

901 posts, read 1,899,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimples23 View Post

Your Cox router/modem most likely is a dual band system capable of producing both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz wifi networks, but usually only the 2.4 band is enabled by default. The 2.4 band is the most common but doesn't play well with microwave ovens and cordless phones, often to the point where anything connected to the 2.4 network becomes unusable and phone calls becomes scratchy while the microwave is running. You might be able to minimize this by moving them as far apart as you can.

Enabling the 5.0 band might eliminate some of your wifi problems. It's capable of faster speeds and subject to less interference than the 2.4, although there are a few downsides. Range is reduced and it may not be compatible with some older devices. However, the difference is speed and range is usually not noticeable by most people on a daily basis.

If you want to tinker with your system and wifi network(s) in general, when connected to your wifi network, try typing http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your browser. The default username is admin and password is password. Once there, you'll be able to create a wifi network on the 5.0 band as well as change the network name (SSID) and password of both networks. The best channels on the 2.4 band is 1, 6, and 11. Leave the 5.0 channel in auto until you see how things are going. If you're uncomfortable doing any of this, have a friend help or get Cox tech support on the phone as they walk you through it. Good luck!

Last edited by Trash Can; 03-27-2017 at 07:06 AM..

Old 03-27-2017, 10:55 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trash Can View Post
Your Cox router/modem most likely is a dual band system capable of producing both 2.4 GHz and 5.0 GHz wifi networks, but usually only the 2.4 band is enabled by default. The 2.4 band is the most common but doesn't play well with microwave ovens and cordless phones, often to the point where anything connected to the 2.4 network becomes unusable and phone calls becomes scratchy while the microwave is running. You might be able to minimize this by moving them as far apart as you can.

Enabling the 5.0 band might eliminate some of your wifi problems. It's capable of faster speeds and subject to less interference than the 2.4, although there are a few downsides. Range is reduced and it may not be compatible with some older devices. However, the difference is speed and range is usually not noticeable by most people on a daily basis.

If you want to tinker with your system and wifi network(s) in general, when connected to your wifi network, try typing http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 into the address bar of your browser. The default username is admin and password is password. Once there, you'll be able to create a wifi network on the 5.0 band as well as change the network name (SSID) and password of both networks. The best channels on the 2.4 band is 1, 6, and 11. Leave the 5.0 channel in auto until you see how things are going. If you're uncomfortable doing any of this, have a friend help or get Cox tech support on the phone as they walk you through it. Good luck!
Great advice! I use the 5GHz too. After you do this, make sure your laptop is the only device using the network then go to ookla Speedtest.net by Ookla - The Global Broadband Speed Test and run a speedtest. Then plug in your phone and do it over again. The idea is to see if there is a difference. When phones go wonky sometimes they will add noise or distortion to your network. If just plugging in the phone slows you down, you need a new phone.

Next, find out what using wifi is costing you speed wise. Again with nothing else using the system, plug the laptop directly into the modem/router with an ethernet cord. Go to ookla and run the speed test again. This is where you should see screaming fast internet. At least close to what you are paying for. If you don't, you are having service problems and Cox needs to come out and fix it. Most likely it is a bad splice or connection in the coax.

You are always going to get better speed with a wired/direct connection. I use a wired connection a lot for that reason. I just did a speedtest with 2 devices running and got 380MBPS down and 34 up.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:07 PM

2,114 posts, read 2,346,441 times
From personal experience, Cox blames almost every problem on the wireless router. I have yet for the router to be the problem. Cox once told me that my cable modem was shot. It was a general service outage in my area.

Old 03-27-2017, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orca17 View Post
From personal experience, Cox blames almost every problem on the wireless router. I have yet for the router to be the problem. Cox once told me that my cable modem was shot. It was a general service outage in my area.

I have had a couple of problems over 20 years. Cox effectively handled them. If I get problems with wifi etc I generally fix it myself with little trouble. First step is generally to eliminate cox by checking that my phone works and then running the modem directly to the PC.

Think it has been at least two years since I last had a significant wifi problem.

Old 05-19-2017, 04:36 PM

1,927 posts, read 1,058,223 times
Cox is overpriced garbage. Mine was dropping out repeatedly with T3 or T4 timeouts (indicating that the modem is unable to reach the headed) which are never a customer equipment problem, and after being given the runaround with Cox blaming everything but their own service, I dumped them for Centurylink just like everyone else in my neighborhood.

The latency on Cox was always terrible (ie. The loading of pages just feels slow, regardless of real download speed) and taking a peek at their routing indicates virtually all traffic is being sent to San Jose first, and it is at least 16 hops to anywhere (this is bad).

They also never even looked at a ticket I had submitted, then blamed me for not calling them back to make sure they looked at it.

I have the bonded Centurylink ADSL2+ service and the difference in the perceptible speed of page loading is night and day. I also haven't had a single drop out since I've installed the new service.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by equid0x View Post
Cox is overpriced garbage. Mine was dropping out repeatedly with T3 or T4 timeouts (indicating that the modem is unable to reach the headed) which are never a customer equipment problem, and after being given the runaround with Cox blaming everything but their own service, I dumped them for Centurylink just like everyone else in my neighborhood.

The latency on Cox was always terrible (ie. The loading of pages just feels slow, regardless of real download speed) and taking a peek at their routing indicates virtually all traffic is being sent to San Jose first, and it is at least 16 hops to anywhere (this is bad).

They also never even looked at a ticket I had submitted, then blamed me for not calling them back to make sure they looked at it.

I have the bonded Centurylink ADSL2+ service and the difference in the perceptible speed of page loading is night and day. I also haven't had a single drop out since I've installed the new service.
You are in the small minority. You may of course be correct but if so it is some sort of a local problem. Aside from the tiny set of people who actually have Centurylink fiber the reporting of Centuryling ranges from bad to abominable with worse customer service.

I run around 8 ms ping, 168 down 12 up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas