Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 01:37 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times

Advertisements

Calling on Las Vegas' Green thumbs

I read that I need to dig up the dirt and add limestone, then top soil and then seeds and some more top soil

Will this work with the current high temps?

Is that the best way to repair grass? I'm not sure limestone is sold in stores

Also, how often and for what duration are people watering their lawns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 03:48 PM
EA

6,791 posts, read 7,117,601 times
Remove it. Grass doesn't belong in the desert.

Old 05-27-2017, 04:55 PM

2,880 posts, read 2,807,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
might as well remove all of us too

Old 05-27-2017, 06:24 PM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Actually this is the worst time to plant anything. I got one ugly court yard right now cause I was too busy to get someone hired in Feb/mar.

Wait till fall. Or take it out. We got rid of our home with the acre of grass. I like my low water bills now. Have tons of plants and trees and water bill is never above $80 in summer. 1/4 of an acre.

Are you new to Vegas? Jsut askin' cause of the grass.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:44 PM

399 posts, read 693,999 times
I would suggest digging up the dead grass patch and a little of the soil. Add some new soil and then buy some grass turf from Star Nursery and make a patch with the turf. Instant green grass and the you won't have pigeons eating any grass seed. Not ideal time to plant turf, but at least it's not August.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:44 PM

250 posts, read 229,426 times
Not exactly green thumb but, I've had many large females ruin many a lawn. If you can, hose down the spot immediately after. I would say forget digging and limestone and soil and seed and voodoo to make it grow. Just go to star nursery and buy a piece of sod (it's cheap) and replace burned spots, lots of water til it roots .
As far as watering I follow snwa rules pretty closely
Also https://www.starnursery.com/star-not...ater-your-lawn
The rest of the star notes are interesting too.

Old 05-27-2017, 07:24 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Here you go.

How to Fix Dog Urine Patches In Grass - How to Repair Your Lawn

If it gives you a problem just sod it.

For this sort of thing I have a technique I have used a lot of times. Take a lb of the the grass you want. Mix it with ten lbs or so of top soil and a few cups of water.
Throw it all in a pail and whack it around every couple of days. After a week or week and a half spread it on where you want grass. What happens is the grass sprouts and will root almost immediately when spread on the bare spot.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:24 AM

7 posts, read 7,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EA View Post
You think this case will hold water to many of the resorts? It clearly has its mainstay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundapeanut View Post
We got rid of our home with the acre of grass. I like my low water bills now. Have tons of plants and trees and water bill is never above $80 in summer. 1/4 of an acre.
Out of curiosity, where does one accrue an acre of grass (let alone land) in Vegas? That's a sizable chunk of land that I simply could not imagine having to irrigate with any shred of logic. The most I've had was 1/3 acre and the water bill ~$950 to keep it green during the summer months.

Last edited by Splenomegaly; 05-28-2017 at 08:42 AM..

Old 05-28-2017, 09:57 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splenomegaly View Post
You think this case will hold water to many of the resorts? It clearly has its mainstay.

Out of curiosity, where does one accrue an acre of grass (let alone land) in Vegas? That's a sizable chunk of land that I simply could not imagine having to irrigate with any shred of logic. The most I've had was 1/3 acre and the water bill ~$950 to keep it green during the summer months.

Gotta laugh as ours was one of the smaller lots and homes. Early 2000's we were one of the top 10 residential water users in Vegas. They published our address along with our neighbors in the paper once a year. I guess to shame us. Yes it was crazy. That and a 7 figure gain in home value is why we got rid of the house.

Do you live here? Cause there are several areas where this is possible. Once again I an reminded how people think their life sets the standard for everyone else's. I'm running around looking at homes with a friend right now and all are on HUGE lots. So its like your post is trying to deny the reality of what my experience is. Crazy.

She is looking at a home in Section 10 that has at least 3 acres of grass, total land is about 7 acres.

Do you ever pick up the luxury housing magazines? Got one here right now with a horse property with 10 acres, probably 8 of that is green grass.

You might not know this, why I'm asking if you live here. The resorts on the strip do not use lake mead water.
They have their own system of water right under the hotels. They even recycle and purify their own water.
So they are probably doing this at a fraction of what a house using LVVW would pay for the same amount of grass.
Can't compare their grass to off strip or residential. Apples and oranges. And they wrote off what they pay for up keep, where as we can't unless its a rental. Pretax vs post tax dollars.

Old 05-28-2017, 10:16 AM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splenomegaly View Post

We have a half acre with 5,000 SF of grass. We are on a well and pay $50 per month for water. If you include the cost of well maintenance it probably gets to about $65 per month. Three of the four homes on this cul de sac have grass.

There are half acre tracts around the Lone Mountain area where most of the homes are grassed. It is not unusual..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
View detailed profiles of: