Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 10:53 PM

848 posts, read 647,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
That's a function of the ratio of doctors to patients. It isn't surprising; with Obamacare, a whole bunch of people who did not formerly have health insurance now have health insurance -- and they schedule doctors appointments.
I agree with SportyandMisty on this one. I just went with my wife to an appointment with an ENT, and we were only able to get in the next day because our primary care doctor went to medical school with him and scheduled the appointment with him. Had that connection not been there, we were being told we would not be able to get an appointment until September! There were not wait times like this before Obamacare. If you really want to get a glimpse of the overuse of medical care in Las Vegas due to Obamacare, visit a local hospital especially the emergency room. Due to a sick family member, I spent quite a few days visiting a prominent suburban hospital over the last year and a half, and I could not believe how many people were showing up there either hoping to get painkillers or because they had the flu or a cold. In talking to staff at this hospital, I routinely heard them complain quite a bit about this diverting resources away from people who truly had life-threatening issues. If Nevadans want better healthcare, the best thing which could happen would be for Obamacare to be fully repealed or to fail. At some point, especially in this state, people need to start taking responsibility for their health, which might actually mean they have to take into consideration how their lifestyle decisions (e.g., smoking, drinking, diet, and exercise) impact their health. At some point, you will run out of people paying excessive medical premiums to subsidize those who are choosing not to live a healthy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2017, 06:31 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,587,137 times
I'm contemplating a similar move within a year or so. Mid 30's no kids and have been in the NYC Tri-State area since 2013 and am kind of looking forward to getting hell out of here. Overpriced. Overcrowded. Too many idiots. No further point in being here and can't really see a future here that makes any sense. I'm from the west coast anyway and wouldn't mind being back over on that side of the country. Las Vegas seems like the default winner and would be something new to try. Portland and Seattle been there done that and can't really justify or get excited about going back. California suffers most of the same drawbacks I hate about the NY/NJ area so that's an easy one to cross off the list (nice place to visit though). I wouldn't mind living somewhere fun with nice weather for once, and I bet my awful springtime pollen allergies wouldn't bother me too much out in the desert.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:37 AM

85 posts, read 86,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
I'm contemplating a similar move within a year or so. Mid 30's no kids and have been in the NYC Tri-State area since 2013 and am kind of looking forward to getting hell out of here. Overpriced. Overcrowded. Too many idiots. No further point in being here and can't really see a future here that makes any sense. I'm from the west coast anyway and wouldn't mind being back over on that side of the country. Las Vegas seems like the default winner and would be something new to try. Portland and Seattle been there done that and can't really justify or get excited about going back. California suffers most of the same drawbacks I hate about the NY/NJ area so that's an easy one to cross off the list (nice place to visit though). I wouldn't mind living somewhere fun with nice weather for once, and I bet my awful springtime pollen allergies wouldn't bother me too much out in the desert.
I am in the same boat as you. I am from the east coast and looking to move to Las Vegas. NYC is overpriced even with a decent salary, it is not enough to live there. The city is outrageous. The vibe is off here in the east coast, and just want get away from it. People are too elitist, too self important, too rough etc.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:44 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post

Notice that nobody in Nevada ever talks about going to Utah, Idaho or Arizona for health care treatment when it's something really serious.
You're mistaken on that one. My doctors are mostly in Salt Lake City. Then, of course, there is the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.

For orthopedic surgery, it is tough to beat ski resort metropolitan areas including Park City & Sun Valley.

Old 06-23-2017, 02:36 PM

496 posts, read 365,587 times
Quote:
You're mistaken on that one. My doctors are mostly in Salt Lake City. Then, of course, there is the Mayo Clinic in Phoenix.

For orthopedic surgery, it is tough to beat ski resort metropolitan areas including Park City & Sun Valley.
There is a great ortho center in LV. Both surgeons were team doctors for NFL teams.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:47 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughie View Post
There is a great ortho center in LV. Both surgeons were team doctors for NFL teams.
I'm sure there are. It all depends on the nature of the surgery, of course, and how complex it is.

Old 06-23-2017, 03:54 PM

496 posts, read 365,587 times
Quote:
I'm sure there are. It all depends on the nature of the surgery, of course, and how complex it is.
True, but you mentioned sports injuries, I'm confident there are none better than we have in LV

Old 06-23-2017, 06:16 PM

3,631 posts, read 7,666,242 times
I've had a number of clients go to Colorado for complex surgeries.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:31 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,910 times
Ignored in many comments is what a large number of people don't care about the local economy or job market because it affects our lives about as much as the price of a buffet at Golden Nugget or whatever. No I'm joking I would care more about a good buffet deal. This isn't 1986, it's 2017. Tons of jobs like mine are completely telecommuting. I run my Los Angeles based company from Portland, and I've run it from L.A. too, and I'm in Vegas right now and I can run it here. Give me an Internet connection and I'm good to go. This is the perfect city for people like me - cheap as heck, state has almost no taxes, and beautiful weather! Plus everything to do. The jobs here in the service industry seem rough I'll be honest. Nicest people and they do a great job but dang I wouldn't want a job here.

Old 06-27-2017, 04:01 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
Ignored in many comments is what a large number of people don't care about the local economy or job market because it affects our lives about as much as the price of a buffet at Golden Nugget or whatever. No I'm joking I would care more about a good buffet deal. This isn't 1986, it's 2017. Tons of jobs like mine are completely telecommuting. I run my Los Angeles based company from Portland, and I've run it from L.A. too, and I'm in Vegas right now and I can run it here. Give me an Internet connection and I'm good to go. This is the perfect city for people like me - cheap as heck, state has almost no taxes, and beautiful weather! Plus everything to do. The jobs here in the service industry seem rough I'll be honest. Nicest people and they do a great job but dang I wouldn't want a job here.
You probably don't see the irony or paradoxical nature of your last two sentences...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas